Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

[ Game Experience ] Force Truce

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 6:18:24 PM

Alright I know it´s Early Access and some things are in the game for feedback.

It´s my humble opinion that force truce does not work. It doesn´t add to the gaming experience.

It is really annoying and just screws you over without you being able to do anything about it.

It has to go.

If you are a fellow Early Access tester and agree with this please let the devs know in this thread.

Thank you.

EDIT : I can see it staying in the game under conditions along this line: It would have to be a law enactable by Pacifists. The law would allow you to force truce a empire. It could even be straight away, but the cost would have to be relative to your political income ( Maybe 10x your median income of the last 5 turns before the war ). The same goes for the dust cost and the dust cost could be relative to what you did not lose - as a compensation for what the enemy could have potentially gained. So if you force truce right away and did not lose any planets - the dust cost should be 100% of your income while the force truce lasts. If you lose one planet maybe it can  go down to 50%, if you lose 2 planets it goes down to 25%, etc... ( Suggestion, if the approval costs for expansion stays the same as it currently is)

Force truce is insanely powerful and should cost as much. The empire that goes to war created ships instead of focussing on economical growth. So the faction that defends has to pay up accordingly or it´s just a mechanism to protect carebears.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 6:29:03 PM

I'm not sure why they removed the 10 turn lock on diplomatic agreements. It might seem overused since it was in both ES1 and Endless Legend, but it also worked really well in both those games, and would still work well in ES2, as opposed to force truce (assuming those two changes are related; they might not be, but it's hard to imagine that they were thought up separately).

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 8:35:49 PM

Just to know, how do you force truce? Seems that the AI can (and frequently) do it, but if I'm at war, in the diplomacy options it doesn't appear...

That said, I think that increasing the turns you must stay at war before forcing truce should be augmented, especially if the Militarist are the leading party.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 8:41:26 PM

I think the ability should remain, but should become significantly more expensive. When I got my economy going as the Lumeris, it was often worth it to let the enemy take a fringe planet on my borderland and impose a 50 dust/turn victory condition on me when I was making ~500/turn. There's not enough penalty to the loser and not enough costs to the party doing the forcing.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 8:52:39 PM

Only had my first game today, but was pleasantly surprised when Sophons forced truce on me (Cravers) the moment my probe found their system. It would be really good if the AI had evaluated the situation to see that I'm stronger militarily and was playing for time till it could "science the crap out of me". 

On the one hand, it's a clever use of an in-game mechanic, but on the other - it's just not very believable. How can you force truce on something like Cravers? They don't even have the concept of the thing! You can, of course, try to convince them to wait with their devouring in exchange for some princely sum, but you can't take the agency away - the player/AI has to  evaluate the truce proposal and decide to either accept or reject it.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 9:05:54 PM

I agree that it needs to be changed, though I think there are ways to tweak it to be very interesting indeed. 

I made a post about my solution a few minutes ago, if you're interested pop on over and let me know what you think.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 8, 2016, 1:54:55 AM

An AI sucker punching one of your scouts then immediately forcing a "win" truce as soon as you gather your forces is extremely frustrating.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 8, 2016, 7:17:31 AM

I agree adjustments are needed for Forced Truce but it doesn't have to be removed completely. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 8, 2016, 11:09:14 AM

the simple fact is that you cant force a truce! especialy if your on the loosing side of the conflict. 

who would enforce the truce? the loser certanly cant. 

if you offer enough money, the winning side might let you squirm a little longer, but you have nothing that could stop them if they dont want to.

also in my current game im in my 3rd forced truce for 15 turns again after like 5 turns of war, at this rate i will probably spend around 70 or more turns in forced truce.

if i remember correctly the standard game only goes 150 turns or so and i still have 2 more factions to kill after this one.

spending up to half your gametime in forced truces is a tad exessive no matter how you turn it.

i get that the mechanic is supposed to give the losing side some time to recoup and artificially lengthen the conflict time, but 15 turns is just way to long.

we all know that truces have to be agreed by both partys, but if you have to have this cluncy gamemechanic please turn it down to 5-7 turns or so.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 8, 2016, 11:21:19 AM

think the same, its awfull ... destroying 10 crawler planets and all his fleets, to left just 1 sistem intact and going for it when .. force truce ... and when it ends i have to deal with 30 new ships ....  

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 8, 2016, 1:19:43 PM

Really strange new mechanic.

I guess this has some sense, gameplay speaking, to give a chance to long terms strategies and factions to win but, lore speaking this has no sense.

Playing the cravers, as they don't know peace (can't even sign such treaties and lote explicitly says they are made for war and destruction) why would they respect a truce or being forced to truce ?

In addition, war result, when truce is forced, is way too light on available informations.

What is war result exactly ?Guess it's the same system as in EuropaUniversalisIV with war score being a direct way to "buy" things from other party.

Mainting fleets to have the upper hand in a conflict is way more expensive that the dust/turn you get in forced truce.

I guess (and hope) it's just some EarlyAccess attempt

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 8, 2016, 1:38:38 PM

It seems like there's some kind of 'war score' mechanic that I haven't been able to find that determines when an empire is able to force truce one way or another. Maybe making this an option of some kind, similar to CK2's casus belli but a bit simpler, would make the forced truce mechanic more responsive.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 8, 2016, 1:42:54 PM
atejas wrote:

It seems like there's some kind of 'war score' mechanic that I haven't been able to find that determines when an empire is able to force truce one way or another. Maybe making this an option of some kind, similar to CK2's casus belli but a bit simpler, would make the forced truce mechanic more responsive.

CK2 and EUIV instantly popped in my head when i saw this was score. 

I'm sure, in future releases, we will have more informations about this score calculation and, eventually, the effects it triggers

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 8, 2016, 2:07:02 PM
Galanthein wrote:
atejas wrote:

CK2 and EUIV instantly popped in my head when i saw this was score. 

I'm sure, in future releases, we will have more informations about this score calculation and, eventually, the effects it triggers

Exactly! The idea I had in my head is that when you declare war, you also pre-determine some victory tributes (planets/resources/techs that the losing civ will have to give up) and this in turn dynamically determines the necessary war score you would need to win. It would also let it be flexible depending on the enemy's income and assets so that, for example, getting 200 dust per turn from a Lumeris faction would cost less war score (and fewer victories) than getting the same amount from a cash-strapped Cravers faction.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 8, 2016, 2:52:36 PM

Here the rationale from the devs taken from the design documents as a reference to give some context:

War Exhaustion

A ‘War Exhaustion’ system has been implemented to restrict the length and scope of wars. In terms of lore, this should be considered the populations desire to leave or stay in long wars.

The system works by winning battles and taking systems will push a ‘war exhaustion’ bar that exists between the two empires. On each side of the bar, certain ‘truce thresholds’ exist at which both the winning or losing empire can use ‘demands’ to force truce by either demanding or giving up resources depending on whether the empire is winning or losing.

This system includes the Alliance system, such that all members are considered in a single war exhaustion bar, as well as the resources gained from winning will be split according to each empires contribution to the war.

In short, both sides of the conflict always has an ‘out’ to avoid being completely eliminated in a single war. Several wars will be required for elimination of an empire, which is the desired outcome

Have no opinion on force truce yet, haven't really played enough for that, but thought I would post it for those that have not read the design documents and wondering what the rationale is.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 2:29:53 AM

My fledgling Sophons civilization was invaded by Cravers before they could build proper defenses, but not before they could colonize a distant world. They put up quite a fight but their fleet was no match for the aliens. They've lost their homeworld and frankly I enjoyed it.

I had now a stranded group of survivors on a distant world in a far constellation, desperate but determined to take back the fight to those mysterious, brutal aliens. Maybe they would be able to stand up on their feet and retake their planet, or maybe not, but there was a story in the making, emergent gameplay and all that. 

I got more comfortable, sipped hot tea and prepared for a long haul, enjoying every minute of it. While it last.

A couple of turn later I got a message from those "mysterious, brutal aliens".

FORCE TRUCE! 

PAY WAR REPARATIONS YOU MAGGOT. YOU HAVE TO PAY 500 DUST. 

Oh, YOU HAVE ONLY 460? NO PROBLEM WE WILL TAKE IT. 

HAVE A NICE DAY, MAGGOT.

Force Truce has to go. 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message