Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Research systematics in ES2

ES2 should carry on developing the ERA Research systematics as currently designed (boxes)
ES2 should carry on developing the ERA Research systematics redesigned as in EL (pie slices)
ES2 should abandon ERAs and reinstall the ES1 Tech Tree (path dependencies)
Vote nowView results
Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 22, 2016, 4:06:18 PM
XDAvenger93 wrote:
tulip wrote:
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. It would be more adaptive to have more dependencies? It's more scripted to have more free form options? These statements seem internally contradictory.

they are not if you accept the fact that sometimes a player may simply not want to have to take ... let's say 1-2 diplomacy/growth techs in era 1 in order to finaly be given the keys to era 2. And in era 2 spend even more turns grabing some more tech in the diploacy/growth tree in order to get to era 3 and finaly be able to research the tech he wanted, turns and turns later than a path dependacy system would allow (because in that system, despite what you perceive as "scripted restrictions to research" in the form of dependacies, you actualy more freedom of choice to focus and specialize, because there is no way in hell you would be forced to spend precious turns researching arbitrary useless tech in order to finaly get the one you want. You could rush it). The free form nature of the Era system is a lie, it's only free form for the short term but it takes away long term planning and the ability to properly define and focus your empire in one or two aspects if you so choose. Instead of the game forcing you to research tech you do not want or need because otherwise you are not allowed to get acces to the next tier of techs.

I was wondering a bit about this. You wrote something similar in your other thread about the game playing it self. I do agree that the era system with its get x techs in era to unlock next era mechanic, might and often does, force you to pick tech you don't want. And the even greater issue in terms of flexibility is the exponential cost that makes it harder to go back and make meaningful corrections in previous eras. 

But I do question one thing. In a tech tree, you will encounter the issue of being forced to pick things you do not want too. Namely tech you actually don't want but need to pick because its on a node that leads to a tech you want. It is of coarse easier to make it look, as if it is logical for you to have to pick this unwanted tech lore wise in a tech tree. The elsewhere named example of having to pick optics before you can pick lasers for instance. In this case optics could be a technology you actually do not want but have to take because you want lasers.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 3:17:32 AM

The benefit of tiers is that within each tier you have 4-5 options per tech category (16-20 total). This is in contrast to the 2-3 options you'd have with a tree (8-12 total). The downside is that instead of opening up at least one new option with every tech you research, you're stuck with all of those exact same options until the next tech tier. In that sense your options become more and more limited until suddenly opening up again, as opposed to staying constant at 2-3 per category. Tech tiers also prevent you from just beelining towards some mid/late game tech, by forcing you to diversify, even if you may not want to. That is strictly a loss of flexibility.

The tech tier system is also associated with increasing costs with each tech researched. While that's definitely an elegant way to handle the fact that the order is less determined, it also heavily punishes researching 11/10 or 12/10 from a tech tier, in a way that it's not clear should be punished. Especially in a game like ES where 4/10 of those techs will just be "colonize another kind of planet".

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 3:36:51 AM
tulip wrote:
Romeo wrote:

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but legitimately curious: What about the new system feels more adaptive to you?

For me personally, it feels the exact opposite. With the old tech tree, if I wanted to do something specific, say, rush to Barren Colonization, I could do that while making sacrifices elsewhere. With the new system though, it doesn't matter what I want, I'm still going to have to go through Era I techs first, then Era II, then finally pick it in Era III. The adaptation and decision-making feels a lot more coerced to me.

For what it's worth, dependencies would solve some of my issues with the current tech system (Such as certain techs being a complete and total waste to pick, and a lack of focus) but would still leave some of my other issues unresolved (Impossible to chase specific goals, coercion to take unwanted techs).

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. It would be more adaptive to have more dependencies? It's more scripted to have more free form options? These statements seem internally contradictory.

they are not if you accept the fact that sometimes a player may simply not want to have to take ... let's say 1-2 diplomacy/growth techs in era 1 in order to finaly be given the keys to era 2. And in era 2 spend even more turns grabing some more tech in the diploacy/growth tree in order to get to era 3 and finaly be able to research the tech he wanted, turns and turns later than a path dependacy system would allow (because in that system, despite what you perceive as "scripted restrictions to research" in the form of dependacies, you actualy more freedom of choice to focus and specialize, because there is no way in hell you would be forced to spend precious turns researching arbitrary useless tech in order to finaly get the one you want. You could rush it). The free form nature of the Era system is a lie, it's only free form for the short term but it takes away long term planning and the ability to properly define and focus your empire in one or two aspects if you so choose. Instead of the game forcing you to research tech you do not want or need because otherwise you are not allowed to get acces to the next tier of techs.

To go a bit furthe on the system: an elegant solution would be to make each branch a sepparate advancement. So getting through all the science/exploration techs in era 1 lets me get the era 2 ones for example, while still beeing locked to era 1 for the rest of the branches. Of course, at that point why bother having the era system but oh well ...

It was a neat ideea for the narative of endless legend, but it was and is the reason I don't own the game. Played over the family share account of a friend once and I could not really stomach it's restrictive nature, though ironicaly EL is actualy less restrictive than ES simply due to how many techs are in each branch. It still permits some specialzation, but even then you will have to get techs you do not want to waste time on to get to the next era. But again, it made sense for an era system due to how the game narative was structure towards the last few days of a dying planet, and end to the final eras of struggle. It enforced that looming time limit. However, there is no narative reason this time to justify an era system. What is ending, the universe? I thought the story was about upstart new civilizations competing for dominance in the ruins of the left-over space of the endless empire.

The next aspect of the era system I detest is the exponential growth of tech costs in eras I have allready completed. Why? Why am I beeing punished for mastering an era of tech with even harder research? Should it not be actualy easier at that point to get the techs specific to an era of scientific development I have alrleady mastered, instead of it beeing easier to research totaly new unproven concepts during my new era? It makes no logical sense and it simply feels like an arbitrary punishment for daring to choose against what the game has decreed should be the way I play. Maybe down the line I discover one of the older era techs is something I have ended up needing in my curent scenario, well tough luck for me, that tech will probably cost me just as much or more than a new tech does. For no reason. A system where researching more advanced era reduces the dificulty of older era research would be a much better system.

Oh and one final thing I wanted to add that compounds the mounting research costs problem: the fact that each era has strictly vital "research this now techs". The colonization techs for one. The goverment ones as well. The diplomatic techs unless you decided from word 1 to be a pure militarist allways at war (and even then those will be needed). The system improvement techs. In era 2 that means 4 (colony)+2 (goverment)+ 1(system leveling) techs that you absolutely MUST get. Add to that faction ships techs and let's say you only pick one of them, and you are left in a scenrio where your "chocies" are between 2 more techs before you have to jump to the next era in order to not be punished by the arbitrary exponential growth of tech costs for eras you mastered. Except wrong again, you only have 1 tech you can actualy choose. Because it would be suicidal not to get increased fleet sizes in order to have a ghost of a chance at staying relevant should you be forced into a war and not just get curbstomped. That is so much flexibility right there. Ironicaly, the cravers, the less tech adept race in the game right now has the most flexibility in terms of tech simply because they can safely ignore all diplomatic and goverment techs.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 7:43:59 AM
XDAvenger93 wrote:
tulip wrote:
Romeo wrote:

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but legitimately curious: What about the new system feels more adaptive to you?

For me personally, it feels the exact opposite. With the old tech tree, if I wanted to do something specific, say, rush to Barren Colonization, I could do that while making sacrifices elsewhere. With the new system though, it doesn't matter what I want, I'm still going to have to go through Era I techs first, then Era II, then finally pick it in Era III. The adaptation and decision-making feels a lot more coerced to me.

For what it's worth, dependencies would solve some of my issues with the current tech system (Such as certain techs being a complete and total waste to pick, and a lack of focus) but would still leave some of my other issues unresolved (Impossible to chase specific goals, coercion to take unwanted techs).

I'd have to agree with XDAvenger93 here and I especially like this statement in the first paragraph: "The free form nature of the Era system is a lie,..." 

This is a point where logic will sometimes point in the wrong direction and forget about how we interpret things as humans.

Although it sounds contradictory, it are known phenomena in psychology, information overload and analysis paralysis.

Sadly I'm not a qualified psychologist but it is something I remember from following a consumer science course. 

The point is that more choices do not necessarily make you more happy as a consumer, it could lead to anxiety and 'choice stress' instead.

I don't have enough time to find a proper reference now, but here is something taken from a Wikipedia page: 

The Paradox of Choice - Why More Is Less is a 2004 book by American psychologist Barry Schwartz. In the book, Schwartz argues that eliminating consumer choices can greatly reduce anxiety for shoppers.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 10:10:28 AM

Nice in-depth analysis and discussion about the prime subject 'Research systematics'. I am very pleased with all the reactions so far. Thank you all - 

NB: apart from the objective discussion (to better the game) your reactions makes me rethink my personal 'selective perception' (though I still tend to prefer one of the poll options).

NB: Analysis paralysis, Choice stress, Information overload: great stuff

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 10:22:38 AM
Calavera wrote:

@Clarste 

Clarste wrote:

Just for the record, I suggested a hybrid system in another thread, based on the circular design of the hero skill tree:

Basically we could have tech eras and line connections for related techs. I also suggested being able to advance one extra tier in a specific field by focusing on that area (since being able to go deep in one field is the purpose of the tech web), but the details are obviously loose at this level of speculation.

Wow... that was exactly what i wanted to post right now^^... advance each era in the different fields and take the better looking hero progression tree. It makes more sense as well to research e.g. lasers 2 before lasers 2... Good grafic btw mine just looked like this :-)

(this is why i'm no grafic designer LOL)

Good suggestions. IMO the best way to fuse in same screen the goods of EL and ES1 techs. It works for eras, and also adds the capacity to put some prerequisites (some techs with prerequisite techs/deeds/whatever, and some others only with era unlock).

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 8:02:24 PM
tulip wrote:

Kinda what XD wrote after:

As it stands, certain technologies are out and out negative to take at the moment (Era I weapons, early probes) while others are sometimes only selected to "get to ten" (Diplomacy options with Vodyani/Cravers). The system is basically guiding certain players down the exact same paths, hell, the tooltip even brings it up (Select planetary options and the ability to travel outside of lanes). Putting in dependancies would suddenly render certain techs useful (If I want Era II upgraded weapons I need Era I, or if I want tier II and III probes I'll need the first option as well). By forcing some utility in to earlier technologies, it would also retroactively solve the "forced to take" techs as well (If I'm already struggling to whittle down from twelve really great options, having four that I don't need doesn't suddenly stand out as annoying).

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 6:47:47 AM

That is precisely why I was aiming toward earlier access to superior eras. 10 techs is a bit too much right now and I agree that you often takes a few unwanted techs. Lowering the unlock of next era and having adaptative costs in each subsequent era depending on techs already researched would mean (in my opinion anyway) much more impact of your choices, and could give a clear path into rushing specific techs of advanced eras. 

I totaly get the "free nature of Era system is a lie" point but I couldn't stand either that, after 50 turns invested in research, you could find yourself totaly screwed because of an invasion/event/name your headache and without adaptative possibilities. The Era system solves some of that, but fails to entice you in a specific logic. The option i proposed a few posts above is just one of the many paths amplitude could take to rework the current system in one who borrows the good of tree and era systems and leaves the bad behind.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 6:59:39 AM

Just a thought I have seen repeated around here alot and I would like to adress. Namely, the sugestion of adding dependacies and links onto the curent era system. This is not a solution frankly. It is part of one. In order for this to work the dependacies and links would need to be redefined as not a mandatory relation (tech x into tech y) but a symbiotic one (tech x boosts tech y and viceversa). Furthermore, the curent flat exponential increase in research costs needs to vanish if such a system is to function in any way, otherwise adding such dependacies would only compoud the curent flaws of the era system.

That is all, it's a really short point I know, but I feel it's important to maintan perspective on the entire system instead of components of it that may or may not improve things. Yes dependacies would be neat to have, but certainly not in the curent form. I think the best case scenario for true dependacies (tech x into tech y) and still an era based aproach is each research branch to be it's own separate era. So you could potentialy be an era 1 diplomacy era 3 industry&trade and era 5 military+science for example. Oh and just one final thing for the era system: faction unique techs should stay out of it. As in not contribute to unlocking a new era. They are their own separate era category that unlocks when the major ones unlock.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 7:11:04 AM
Jihem wrote:

That is precisely why I was aiming toward earlier access to superior eras. 10 techs is a bit too much right now and I agree that you often takes a few unwanted techs. Lowering the unlock of next era and having adaptative costs in each subsequent era depending on techs already researched would mean (in my opinion anyway) much more impact of your choices, and could give a clear path into rushing specific techs of advanced eras. 

I totaly get the "free nature of Era system is a lie" point but I couldn't stand either that, after 50 turns invested in research, you could find yourself totaly screwed because of an invasion/event/name your headache and without adaptative possibilities. The Era system solves some of that, but fails to entice you in a specific logic. The option i proposed a few posts above is just one of the many paths amplitude could take to rework the current system in one who borrows the good of tree and era systems and leaves the bad behind.

On the other side, I like it that you could be punished for 'greedy' builds. 

As in, when you go pure science or pure economics (pacifist) and forget about keeping your military up to date. 

If you get invaded I think you deserve it, for being greedy.

Right now everybody is taking pretty much the same techs, so you can assume that that so called pacifist neighbor still has relevant military tech.. :(

And his economy doesn't necessarily have to be better than yours, except if it is the Lumeris..

That would mean that the races are the only reason to pick a different play-style. Which would be very predictable in multi-player.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 5:55:36 PM
RageMcGeezaks wrote:

Right now everybody is taking pretty much the same techs, so you can assume that that so called pacifist neighbor still has relevant military tech.. :(

And his economy doesn't necessarily have to be better than yours, except if it is the Lumeris..

That would mean that the races are the only reason to pick a different play-style. Which would be very predictable in multi-player.

These specifically are my biggest gripes with the current system. I remember perusing the forums for the first Endless Space and finding two people with different paths up the tech tree, and laughing because I had a different path from both of them. But in the current game, there is absolutely no reason to deviate from the same path that everyone and their dog is taking. If you do, chances are you'll be worse off for it. And that affects how you go about playing the game. There's no rushing certain military technologies, because you'll be screwing yourself later. There's no hoping for certain colonization techs early, because it'll take you the same amount of time regardless. The tech system being so restrictive is actively preventing certain means of playing.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 17, 2016, 12:08:45 PM

This poll has been live for a week now, and the first reactions have been very thoughtful and interesting. Thank you all for participating.

Results (so far):

40,32% - ES2 should carry on developing the ERA Research systematics as currently designed (boxes)

22,58% - ES2 should carry on developing the ERA Research systematics redesigned as in EL (pie slices)

37,10% - ES2 should abandon ERAs and reinstall the ES1 Tech Tree (path dependencies)

Clearly there is some doubt if the research systematics in Endless Space 2 should be based on the Endless Legend eras, or that they should be based on the tech tree of Endless Space 1. The 40% versus 37% outcome so far gives me the impression that (at least) ES1 veterans are equally divided (players unknown with ES1 clearly wouldn't have voted for the last option). As already requested by Fenrakk101 (and others) it would be good to know (if and) how the devs are going to react to this outcome (if the trend persists), and if the suggestions are being taken into account. Or a clear statement that the current roadmap will not be altered.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 17, 2016, 2:27:45 PM
Calavera wrote:

@Clarste 

Clarste wrote:

Just for the record, I suggested a hybrid system in another thread, based on the circular design of the hero skill tree:

Basically we could have tech eras and line connections for related techs. I also suggested being able to advance one extra tier in a specific field by focusing on that area (since being able to go deep in one field is the purpose of the tech web), but the details are obviously loose at this level of speculation.

Wow... that was exactly what i wanted to post right now^^... advance each era in the different fields and take the better looking hero progression tree. It makes more sense as well to research e.g. lasers 2 before lasers 2... Good grafic btw mine just looked like this :-)

(this is why i'm no grafic designer LOL)

This is a great system, but I don't feel it should be completely exclusive.

Going off the idea of 'soft links' the devs have proposed, I think that making techs cheaper as you fill out the 'sub-eras' for each one rather than making them hard pre-reqs would be useful. So going off your model, I should be able to research last-era Growth techs, but they would be comparatively much more expensive than last-era Colonization techs (for which I've filled out the prereqs). 

Researching Laser II without any Era 1 Military techs should still be cheaper than going back and filling out Era 1 and then researching Era 2, but if you stay on top of military techs because of your playstyle you will find advancing it much cheaper than you would if you were a pacifist player who suddenly needed to research it.

This would also nullify the need for techs to become more expensive by Era (a terrible system imo). This way you could create an incentive to specialise long-term in one or two slices of the pie without locking you out of changing strategies completely or penalising you for advancing your tech.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 22, 2016, 3:34:40 PM
Cronstintein wrote:

I think UI-wise, the current system is fine.  But mechanically it gets a bit weird the way the military techs work.  Once you're in era 2, you are penalized for having taken era 1 weapon tech.  You lose a reasearch slot, and now you can build equivalent weapons for straight gold instead of spending strategic resources.

I think it would make more sense if the basic era-based weaponry only had one attack range while the researched tech would have two (one optimal range, and one average).  Or some other system where you would have long term benefits from teching into weapons/defenses.

I have never noticed this. What I have noticed is that researching the strategic resource versions of weapons do 1 tier higher in damage and have a different color. Tier 1 titanium laser is the same as tier 2 basic laser except the color.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 1:55:06 AM
Romeo wrote:

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 23, 2016, 3:34:22 AM

I believe that what Romeo may have been going for is that while through the era system you are provided immediate access to a wider selection of researches, you have less freedom in what you want to not have. Additionally, consider the following: while if the first era contains say 5 military technologies, but those five are packed into the bottom two tiers of a tech tree (with 2 and 3 tech options respectively), if you wanted a tier two tech it could be the first research with eras and have to be the second with a tree; however, if you wanted a tier three tech the era system would still require ten prior completed researches and the tree would only take two. I do not think that with the current iteration of the era system the comparative techs are quite so dense, but even then, in order to not have a massive number of technologies available in each era, fewer total technologies exist, which decrease player options even further.

Personally, I do believe that the era system can be made much better than it is, but only by incorporating formatting distinctions to a massive degree.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 23, 2016, 3:36:52 AM

By the way, can anyone explain to me how to directly respond to a comment? My formatting issues are getting kind of rediculous.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 23, 2016, 3:39:14 AM

Also, in the last sentence I was trying to say formatting distinctions based on those in the tech tree system.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 23, 2016, 9:56:04 AM
SilentMuse wrote:

By the way, can anyone explain to me how to directly respond to a comment? My formatting issues are getting kind of rediculous.

This is the button i used to respond to/quote your question. Is that what you where asking for?

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message