Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

G2G Balance Mod Feedback

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
Jul 17, 2017, 3:42:07 PM

Hey everyone!

We'd  like to try a new way of testing out balance changes before making them  live: releasing them as part of a mod! Mods are easy to activate and  deactivate, and they're quick for us to tinker with on our end. Since a  balance change is easier to implement than a new feature or a bug fix,  and is unlikely to cause issues with the game, we can post these changes  out without having to create a new build, which might have issues  depending on where we stand in a dev cycle. 

These  changes are based on community suggestions. You can give feedback on  how they affect gameplay and your experience playing with them, which we  can in turn implement into the next iteration of the mod, etc!  Considering the XML is easy enough to read, you can also directly make  changes to it and submit your suggestion so we can try it out, too, and  if it works, see how we can factor it in.

Meedoc will explain in more detail below what this first iteration of the balance mod, which we're calling G2G Balance Mod for now, will be all about!

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 17, 2017, 3:42:57 PM

Hello, 

The goal of this thread is to gather your feedback on the current Balance Mod:

• What do you think about the changes?
  • Which changes would you make in addition to these / instead of them?
  • What should be the next balance focus for you?

Here is the current focus of the Balance mod (the detailed release notes are available below):

1. Balancing the different political parties: lots of feedback has been gathered from the forum and we changed laws in order to make each of them more interesting, as well as providing better tools for the Vodyani.
  2. Reinforcing the challenge around Approval: at the moment, approval is either too easy to manage, or too hard on Large maps. The changes balance the management and open new way of expanding on bigger maps.

Release Notes: 

Version 1.1

Laws

- Fixed upkeep issues

- Inverted unlock pace of Cnam Exam Act and Larger Hosts Bill

- Super Tax Act: changed approval penalty from -30 to -20

- Senator Bob Bill: penalty lowered from -4 Dust to -2 Dust

- Trusted Broker: now the bonus increases each turn (by 2% up  to 30%) giving incentive to keep the law active for a long time

- Green Fertility Bill: added +2 Food per pop on planets with Anomaly

- Power to the People Act & All Hands Dictum: now have an  Horatio variant which counts assimilated population instead of  population types

- Racial Purity Act: added a flat Essence gain for Vodyani (+15 per System)

- Us or Them Decree changes to +20 Approval per Home System on all the systems

Approval:

- Transvine now provide +2 Approval per pop when used for Leveling system

- Removed the increase of Overcolonization threshold when reaching the Max level

- Added a new improvement (temp name: Autonomous  Administration) which increases the Overcolonization threshold by 1 in  stage 4 of Empire Development

- Costs 2240 Industry and 10000 Influence and only available on level 4 systems

- Leveling Arks will provide a default +1 Approval per population (not properly shown in the mod)

Others:

- Drone Networks now gives +10 Food / Industry

- Cerebral Reality now gives + 20 Dust / Science

- Increased Dust given by Galactic HQ from 25 to 40

- Added +25 Dust on The Cathedral of the All Worldly Affairs

- Replaced the default Dust module on Mothership with an Essence module

- Moved the unlock of level 4 curiosity to stage 4

- Alms for Essence now converts 50% of Dust and provides 25% of Dust into Essence

Version 1.0

Laws

• Super Tax Act: changed approval penalty (-1 per pop) to a flat (-30)
  • Increased penalty of Brains over Bucks and Parks not Quarks (from -10% to -20%)
  • Senator Bob Bill has been changed to an effect in per population (+2 approval per pop / -4 Dust per pop)
  • Toy for Boys has been changed to lower industry instead of science (-10% industry)
  • Inverted unlock prerequisite of Star Boogie Bill and Dirty Hand Acts to improve Sophons' early game
  • Increased effects of Need to Breed  (from 20% to 30%)
  • Right Thing Rule changes to unlock « Force Peace » term
  • Fair Trade Bill changes to +5% FIDSI / peace, +10% FIDSI / alliance
  • Inverted unlock prerequisites of My Precious Precept and Trusted Broker
  • Green Fertility Bill (+20% Food / Anomaly) changes to +5% FIDSI / Anomaly
  • Power to the People Act changes to +1% Science per pop type
  • Power to the People Act changes to +1% Industry per pop type
  • Racial Purity Act has a Vodyani alternative: +2 Essence per pop
  • Inverts unlock prerequisites between Admit and Improve Bill and Racial Purity Act; to have the Essence from the beginning with Vodyani
  • Us or Them Decree changes to +10% Influence per Hero
  • Spoils Of War Act adds: -10% Military upkeep as a complementary effect

Approval

•   Planets now give penalty in -X approval per pop instead of -X
    • -5 => -1 per pop
    • -10 => -3 per pop
    • -15 => -5 per pop
    • -20 => -8 per pop
  • Luxury resources and anomalies also provide approval bonuses and penalties using a "per pop" count
    • bonuses have been lowered and penalties increased
  • Overcolonization threshold is lower for higher galaxy size but a System at max level increases this threshold by 1, removing fully developed systems from the equation altogether

Next balance focus:

• Custom Factions (balancing value of the different elements)
  • Heroes (experience gains, and skills)
  • Trading (company leveling, incomes)
Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 17, 2017, 5:10:39 PM

You should consider moving deep epoch scanning tech (the 4th level expeditions that unlocks the 3rd level luxuries) in the 5th era of science and exploration to the 4th era.  You've incentivised getting the 4th level of development even quicker with the overcolonization changes (if I understand them correctly) and previously it wasn't worth waiting to get the 3rd level luxuries anyway since it already takes too long.  Sophon/Science party may be an exception.

The ecologist laws still don't make much sense for Horatio (the only ecologist empire) since they encourage racial diversity and ultimately Horatio wants to be a one race (person) empire.

Some of the starting switched faction laws cost 2 influence per pop... intentional or just forgot to alter them?

I like the nerf of the independent laws they were often better than some of the factional laws.  Bit concerned about the approval changes to laws and population and presumably luxuries but I haven't played a game with mod yet so might be fine/great.

Looking forward to the next balance mod changes i.e. commander heroes and Vodyani Infallible authority skill I modded it in my latest Let's Play to this (below) and it seemed to work well, was strong but not overpowered/broken like the fidsi per pop per hero level version.  The version I modded to was pretty much already in the file but was being superceded.

<!--HeroSkill105-->
<SimulationDescriptor Name="HeroSkill105_FIDSI_PerHeroLevel_3" Type="HeroSkill">
<Modifier TargetProperty="PlanetHeroFIDSIPercent"Operation="Addition"Value="0.20"Path="./ClassColonizedStarSystem/ClassColonizedPlanet"/>
</SimulationDescriptor>
<SimulationDescriptor Name="HeroSkillSenator105_FIDSI_PerHeroLevel_3" Type="HeroSkillSenator">
<Modifier TargetProperty="PlanetHeroFIDSIPercent"Operation="Addition"Value="0.05"Path="../ClassEmpire/ClassColonizedStarSystem/ClassColonizedPlanet" />-->
</SimulationDescriptor> 

Adding some more modules on horatio ships might be an idea to since they are considered the weakest empire and their ships are probably the primary cause though they are enjoyable to play.

My Let's Play.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 17, 2017, 5:16:37 PM

Also came here to chime in about Infallible Authority Vodyani hero senator skill. It's massively overpowered in its current state and completely trivializes the rest of the game once you get it. Vodyani faction proper obviously benefit from it most easily but any other faction getting their hands on a Vodyani hero as senator breaks the game as well.

EDIT: I went in-game and double checked and it's actually nerfed in this mod, the "per hero level" value seems to be gone and now it's flat +4 FIDSI per pop on system and +1 FIDSI per pop on senate. Wasn't in the mod's release notes though so you might want to add that.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 17, 2017, 11:13:07 PM

My Thoughts on current changes:

All the changes look good to me especially the overcolonization threshold changes, which makes taking over the galaxy actually a possibility but only if you have the resources.

It's a very clever way of fix that issue that I would not have thought of.

But I do share the similar concerns as Macsen above that this greatly increases the incentive of reaching Era 4 Economy and Trade and also disincentives researching the overcolonization techs. I very much like the idea of systems being removed from the overcolonization count when fully developed but I believe that it should not be an extra effect from Level 3 System Development as I feel that if a system is removed from the overcolonization count it represents it being fully centralized with the empire but currently any system can be in a maximum of 7 turns (I think its 7), also if a Level 3 system is taken over they should not be instantly centralized.

So I would suggest having it tied to a new improvement or development level, one with hard requirements, For example:

Title: System Centralization (you could have more flavourful names which are different for each faction)

Description: The Department of centralization integrates the colony fully into the empire (Yet again flavour text could vary for factions)

Effects: +2 Influence on pop, 100 Dust upkeep, system upgraded from “colony 3” to “Territory” (Could be called something else like District), system does not count towards over colonization

Build Cost: Similar production cost to Denarque University, 1000 Influence

Build Requirements: Level 3 Modernization built, System Approval Ecstatic, no other centralization is currently happening, Cultural Invertics Tech (EmpireDevelopment11), 80+ System Approval

Special Conditions: If the system is captured by another faction be any means this building will be demolished/removed instantly.

Picture Mockup:

(This is all just a rough idea, so feel free to make large changes as you see fit)

Heroes Balance:

I do believe Heroes are deserving of a rebalance; fleet heroes always seem to level up slower, System heroes sometimes level up rather sporadically and can occasionally reach stupidly high levels (I’ve had heroes with all skills unlocked and have 10+ skill points to spare) I have thought of a possible way of balancing it in my Idea Hero XP & Levelling Rework It is based on a relative system which in my option makes it easier to balance as you control the range the values can be in.

Questions & Ideas for the future:

Since this is all about balance changes will we soon be seeing the ability to mod the Registry.xml file due to it controlling a lot of the complicated stuff balance-wise or will the aspects controlled by the Registry.xml file not be balanced with the G2G balance mod?

I hope it is not the later for my interest in this is twofold as I would very much like to mod the Registry.xml myself and I'm very interested in certain aspects controlled by it being balanced, mostly the Department of Commerce (Trading Companies)

I even have made an Idea on how to Rework Trading Companies even with details of possible formulas that could be used and how using a relative system will make it scale well independent of most the factors currently breaking it. There is more detail in the Idea post, but I'm more than willing to go in yet more detail if you would like, especially if you plan on focusing on this soon.

So Trading companies is what I think should be the next balance focus as it is rather overpowered right now. (Getting 100+ Tier 3 Luxuries & 1M Dust+ each per turn is not too difficult with certain settings) But heroes being balanced is still a good focus.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 18, 2017, 3:02:32 AM

I'm interested to see how these changes affect the game, but two things jump out at me that might not have been considered that will have a huge impact on the game.

#1: Happiness penalties per pop on planets and the Riftborn

I'm unsure if the happiness gradients are simply reversed for riftborn, or if they still get their flat +20 happiness for sterile planets. If this is the case, with anything more than 2 RB pop on a lava planet, for instance, you will still be losing happiness despite their stated preference for such things. Equally as strange, the RB pop will also be gaining happiness on Green (fertile) planets despite saying how much they hate them.

However, this does allow for some better integration of the RB-based preferences. Since they happiness gains are now population based, instead of getting just the flat bonuses and pentalies to happieness, you can tweak it so that non-RB pop (even if playing as the RB) get the standard planet happiness modifiers, and RB pop get the opposite. This makes WAY more sense than the current system that magically makes organic races suddenly hate lush, fertile planets and love barren ones where they die :P. This creates an interesting choice for the RB player; terraform away from fertile planets to make room for more RB (at the sacrifice of organic populations), or leave the planets alone and allow the organic life to prosper there.

I think there should be some midpoint (say tier 1 planets) that give no penalty or bonus for normal pops, and then the happiness goes up or down from there. This strata can then be simply reversed for RB populations:

Normal:

Tier 0: +2 per pop (Atoll, Ocean, Forest, Terran)

Tier 1: No change (Mediteranian, Jungle, Monsoon, Tundra)

Tier 2: -2 per pop (Savanna, Arid, Steppe, Snow)

Tier 3: -4 per pop (Ice, Arctic, Desert, Ash, Barren)

Tier 4: -8 per pop (Lava, Toxic, Gas)

Riftborn:

Tier 0: +2 per pop (Lava, Toxic, Gas)

Tier 1: No change (Ice, Arctic, Desert, Ash, Barren)

Tier 2: -2 per pop (Savanna, Arid, Steppe, Snow)

Tier 3: -4 per pop (Mediteranian, Jungle, Monsoon, Tundra)

Tier 4: -8 per pop (Atoll, Ocean, Forest, Terran)

TLDR: I don't think Riftborn were considered with this modification (if it is soley as stated here), but these changes open up possibilities for very interesting choices for the RB.

#2: Us or Them (in general) and the Cravers

At first glance, the changes make Us or Them pretty much useless in all cases. It is hard for me to ever justify sacrificing a precious law slot and 3 Influence/pop for a percentage increase in influence based on the number of heroes you have. First off, that doesn't seem very militaristic and only benefits the UE in the late game when they can be producing tons of influence. Of course, it helps expand your influence radii, but in general I think spending a bunch of influence to get more influence back is a very strange mechanic (probably more fitting in the Passifist politics if anything).

Second and MUCH more concerning is how this will effect the Cravers mid- and late- game strategy. Cravers rely on a strong and aggressive early game to grab a bunch of minor civs and outlying planets from major civs (if not taking them out completely) in order to secure a strong snowball into their relatively lack luster late game. However, this HIGHLY depends on two things: the utilization of their slave drivers ability and micromanaging the depletion of their planets. Any Craver player who mindlessly burns through their planets to get the 250% bonus on their Cravers for a couple of turns will quickly find out that their economy has been cut by more than 50% (250% -> 50% for craver pop, 200% -> 100% for slaves) for the rest of the game. The only way to mitigate this eventuality is to populate your planets with relatively few cravers and fill them with slaves. This comes at an enormous cost to your overall approval and while your autocracy government prevents anarchy, your empire will simply implode from the 75% reduction to food and influence and you will fall behind from the 30% penalty to global science and dust. In my experience (if you watch any of my Craver videos, most of my turn is micromanaging slaves to maximize the time I have on undepeted planets), the best (and only viable) way to do this is declare war on literally everyone in the early game to get the +15 happiness/war from jingoist bill. However, as the midgame approaches, most of the minor civs have been assimilated and maybe 1 or 2 major civs and been destroyed. This means that those happiness resouces that you rely on are gone. This leaves you with no choice; exile your slaves and fill your planets with cravers to avoid mutany or (in the current patch) prioritize influence generation to sustain the Us or Them law to sustain your ever growing empire and slave workforce. The former accelerates planet depletion long before enough lvl 4 modernizations can come about and eventually kills your economy (and chance of victory). The later forces very hard choices and sacrifices to sustain a delicate balance between depetion and slaves and influence and happiness. This is the core reason why I find Cravers one of the most interesting and strategically intense races to play.

But some might say, "Well, that is the intention. To force Cravers into a more mild mid-game. Get your early advantage and then sit on it until you can get lvl 4 modernizations." My response: not only is that the most anti-craver sentiment I have ever heard, but it doesn't address the major issue. Cravers rely on happiness BONUSES to offset the slavery penalties, not the avoidance of additional penalties. The slavery bonuses are not just extra FIDS that Cravers for free, but an essential (and only) way to prevent the depletion of your planets and avoid economic collapse in the late-game and must therefore be sustained throughout the entirety of the game. With the gutting of Us or Them, Cravers have no mid-game bridge to sustain their slave empire from the early-game Jingoist-based happiness boost to the late game modernization mitigation.

If I were to redesign (and limit the power of) Us or Them, I would have it be "+30 (or maybe even 50) happiness per capital under your control". This rewards militaristic action, like conquering enemy civs (a very militaristic thing to do!) while still limiting its utility. The current version (+20 happiness per war) and the Jingoist Bill are rather silly since they incentivize you to declare war on everyone for no reason other than the happiness bonus

TLDR: Cravers relied on Us or Them to bridge their early and late game happiness struggles and are now doomed to either passivity or collapse. The new Us or Them is not very militaristic, lackluster, and does not address the problems that UoT was used for.

Other than these 2, I am super excited to play around with these changes! Thanks for reading and keep up the great work!

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 18, 2017, 1:48:02 PM

Okay, so the first thing that has to be done is: make all the party laws cost 1 upkeep! Due to the low early influence production and the importance of minor faction diplomacy all >1 upkeeps laws are impossible to use in the early game. Since I assume this is an oversight that will be fixed soon, I will do my analysis as if it has already been fixed.

I also apologize for the wall of text, but scroll down to the bottom for my list of proposed changes.

With the tier 1 law change, there are now very few laws that are useful in the early game.

* Super tax act (STA) now always turns your system unhappy until you build some happiness things so it is now completely unusable early.

* Larger hosts bill (LHB) is and has always been useless on turn one. Manpower is just not useful, and draining 10% of your population growth is a big price to pay.

* Toys for Boys (TFB) is useful, but the 10% industry penalty is huge in the first turns when you are still building xeno-industrial infrastructure (XII) and public-private partnerships (PPP).

The party specific laws are more complicated because they are restricted to different races. So here is my race-by-race analysis:

Sohpons

Sophons have 2 law slots and access to scientist and religious laws. Dirty Hands Act (DHA) is amazing, -20% building cost is huge. TFB is also very good, since it now gives a substantial boost in science production. It might not be correct to use TFB before you get your Xeno-Industrial Infrastructure (XII) up and running, though, since sophon's early industry production is very lacking.

The sophons can use 1 law on turn one, and another one soon afterwards. This is fine.

Cravers

Cravers have 2 law slots and access to militarist laws. Lower Fleet Costs (LFC) is really good since the cravers is a very agressive race. However, it is not good until you start building ships, which is usually a few turns into the game (after XII at least). Both Toys for boys and Larger hosts bill are also usable laws, but you don't want either of them in the first few turns. TFB is good first when you get problem with happiness (so about 3-4 slave population). LHC is only good when you really need that extra manpower, as it otherwise cripples your food production and population growth.

The cravers has no usable law on turn one, but can start using 1 or 2 laws quite early (in the first 10 turns or so). I would like a usable turn one law, but this is probably fine.

United Empire

The United Empire has 1 law slot and access to industrialist and militarist laws. Both party laws are useful early during their active turns (which is not on turn one). Toys for boys is the only usable law on turn one, but it is also a pretty good one.

The United Empire has one usable law on turn one, and two more to switch to when the time is right. This is good.

Horatio

Horatio is one of the weakest races, so they could need some help just like the sophons. However, they only have 1 law slot and access to only ecologist laws, and Green Fertility Bill (GFB) is usable only if your first planet has anomalies and worthless otherwise. Even if your place has 1 anomaly, Toys for boys might even the better choice, as it gives +15% science/dust and +10% food/influence at the price of -10% industry, and it doesn't cost influence.

Horatio has one usable and one potentially usable law on turn one. I think Green Fertility Bill (the non-republic version) needs a buff.

Riftborn

Riftborn has 1 law slot and access to industrialist and ecologist laws. They also have republic, so the laws are stronger. The republic verson of GFB gives 10% fidsi per anomaly which is potentially insane if your starting planet has anomalies. Other than that, TFB is usable from turn one and New colony is usable after you found your first colony.

Riftborn has one usable and one potentially insane law on turn one, and then another one to switch to at the right time. The problem here is that the republic-version of GFB is way too good if your starting planet happens to have 2 anomalies. It needs a change.

Unfallen

Unfallen has 2 law slots and access to pacifist and ecologist laws. The only reason to use Trusted Broker early is to save influence, so the correct usage is to swap to it for one turn, spend all your influence on diplomacy and then abolish the law. It works, but requires some game knowledge and a lot of law micromanagement which I'm not sure I like. I talked about GFB above.

Unfallen has no consistent early game laws except for Toys for boys. They have some situational laws, but not enough to fill 2 law slots.

Vodyani

Vodyani has 1 law slot and access to religious and militarist laws. They also got a new version of species stability which gives +2 tribute per pop on systems. Of the neutral laws, TFB is the only usable one. Their new version of species stability, was meant to ensure consistent tribute output, but it is unfortunately completely unusable in its current state (more on this later). Lower fleet costs is usable and potentially very good starting from turn 15 or so.

Vodyani currently has only toys for boys available as a usable turn one law. The Species Stability absolutely needs a change.

Lumeris

Lumeris has 1 law slot with republic, and access to pacifist and militarist laws. Toys for boys, and Trusted Broker are both usable laws early (in the right situation). Lower Fleet Costs is most often not worth the influence cost, though. Lumeris is also the only race which can actually use Super Tax Act in the early game because of their Optimistic 2 trait.

Lumeris has several usable early game laws to switch between. This is good.

The problem with vodyani starts

Vodyani starts has 2 problems. The first is starting system swingyness. Since the ark population works on all planets simultaneously, having more planets equals having more population. While most other races start with 3 population which is very consistent, the vodyani can either start with 1, 2 or 3 (or extremely rarely 4).

The second problem is tribute generation. If vodyani can find a nearby minor faction or AI in the first few turns, they are set for a great game. Their first population doubles all their planets' fids output. Their first ark is an unbeatable combat ship with 15 movement speed. With a nearby faction you can get the first population around turn 10, and your first ark by turn 20. However, if they start alone they are stuck with 1 population and no second ark for a very long time. This is where they need help.

Tribute Ark modules could be used, but the tradeoff in industry, dust or science production is very significant in the early game, so the correct strategy is most likely to not use them at all, but just hope that you find someone to leech off of asap. So we can safely assume that the base tribute income before laws are 0 in the early game.

Now, the law gives 2 tribute per pop. Assuming a balanced 2 planet start, this gives 4 tribute per turn. Now when does that give you your first population? After 63 turns. 63 turns. That's insanely bad. It needs to change, and it should change into something that gives a consistent amount of tribute in the early game, so it can guarantee you your first population in a reasonable amount of time.

What I would like to see

For laws, I want everyone to have interesting choices to make already on turn one. There should be preferrably several laws that are actually beneficial on turn one. Having in some cases zero laws out of 4 or 5 being worth using on turn one is just not acceptable, but that is now it is right now in some cases.

Proposed changes (laws)

* Change the vodyani version of Species Stability to something that actually helps rough starts, instead of helping already snowbally starts. +20 tribute on systems would be good, since that would guarantee the first extra population in about the same time as other races get their first colony finished (at the cost of some influence).

* Change Green Fertility Bill to be less swingy due to lucky starts (i.e. not depend on anomalies). Example change: +5% fids per colonized planet on system or a flat +10% fids on system.

* Change Super Tax Act to either -15 happiness or back to a population based happiness penalty, so that everyone can use it at ~50 happiness and still be content after.

* Change Larger Hosts Bill to not tax your population growth. Example: +10% food, -10% dust.

* (IMPORTANT) Fix the influence costs of all switched laws, so all tier 1 laws cost 1, tier 2 laws cost 2, etc.

Proposed changes (other)

* Force vodyani starting system to have exactly 2 colonizable planets on turn 1.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 18, 2017, 2:24:38 PM

About planet happiness penalties:

The vodyani can get up to 9 population on all planet types, has no access to terraforming, and can't move population around to manage happiness on systems with planets that have high penalties.

This means that each tier 3 planet on a fully developed vodyani system now has -72 happiness, up from -20. That change is immense, and pretty much forces you to always enact the Saints & Sinners Bill to solve the happiness problem. No other way exists in the game to handle that amount of happiness penalty.

Transvine system development and all the happiness buildings still give flat happiness increases, and not per population. So in a 4 planet level 4 system with all the buildings, assuming cold war with everyone and no transvine system developments, everything adds up to: 50 base + 10 + 25 + 5 per system level + 5 per planet + 5 per luxury deposit = 125 + 5 per luxury deposit. ONE tier 3 planet is now enough to drive down the happiness to content. Two would make the system mutinous. Isn't that a bit too harsh?

BUGS

With the mod active, Vodyani no longer has access to the tier 4 religous law ​Peace and Prayer Act. Not that it is any useful anyway, but something probably went wrong there.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 18, 2017, 2:44:37 PM

Thank you all for this early feedback!

You should consider moving deep epoch scanning tech (the 4th level expeditions that unlocks the 3rd level luxuries) in the 5th era of science and exploration to the 4th era. You've incentivised getting the 4th level of development even quicker with the overcolonization changes (if I understand them correctly) and previously it wasn't worth waiting to get the 3rd level luxuries anyway since it already takes too long. Sophon/Science party may be an exception.

That’s indeed a good suggestion! I’ll look into it!

The ecologist laws still don't make much sense for Horatio (the only ecologist empire) since they encourage racial diversity and ultimately Horatio wants to be a one race (person) empire.

I get your point! I’ll look into providing alternate laws for Horatio for the last 2 laws.

Some of the starting switched faction laws cost 2 influence per pop... intentional or just forgot to alter them?

My bad, will fix that immediately!

Adding some more modules on horatio ships might be an idea too, since they are considered by many to be the weakest empire, and their ships are probably the primary cause, although they are enjoyable to play.

We will look into that!

EDIT: I went in-game and double checked and it's actually nerfed in this mod, the "per hero level" value seems to be gone and now it's flat +4 FIDSI per pop on system and +1 FIDSI per pop on senate. Wasn't in the mod's release notes though so you might want to add that.

It’s actually part of the 1.0.25 release note ^^ (not the mod itself).

But I do share the similar concerns as Macsen above that this greatly increases the incentive of reaching Era 4 Economy and Trade and also disincentives researching the overcolonization techs. I very much like the idea of systems being removed from the overcolonization count when fully developed but I believe that it should not be an extra effect from Level 3 System Development as I feel that if a system is removed from the overcolonization count it represents it being fully centralized with the empire but currently any system can be in a maximum of 7 turns (I think its 7), also if a Level 3 system is taken over they should not be instantly centralized.

So I would suggest having it tied to a new improvement or development level, one with hard requirements, For example:

That’s interesting! I’ll look further into that idea!

Questions & Ideas for the future:

Since this is all about balance changes will we soon be seeing the ability to mod the Registry.xml file due to it controlling a lot of the complicated stuff balance-wise or will the aspects controlled by the Registry.xml file not be balanced with the G2G balance mod?

It will in the future, but we need to first deliver a public version supporting the modding of the Registry file (which has been done for AI modding).

I hope it is not the later for my interest in this is twofold as I would very much like to mod the Registry.xml myself and I'm very interested in certain aspects controlled by it being balanced, mostly the Department of Commerce (Trading Companies)

I even have made an Idea on how to Rework Trading Companies even with details of possible formulas that could be used and how using a relative system will make it scale well independent of most the factors currently breaking it. There is more detail in the Idea post, but I'm more than willing to go in yet more detail if you would like, especially if you plan on focusing on this soon.

So Trading companies is what I think should be the next balance focus as it is rather overpowered right now. (Getting 100+ Tier 3 Luxuries & 1M Dust+ each per turn is not too difficult with certain settings) But heroes being balanced is still a good focus.

I’ll add it to the list for the next focus. We already started to think about changes on that topic. We will look at your idea too, to see how it fits with what we have already planned.

#1: Happiness penalties per pop on planets and the Riftborn

I'm unsure if the happiness gradients are simply reversed for riftborn, or if they still get their flat +20 happiness for sterile planets. If this is the case, with anything more than 2 RB pop on a lava planet, for instance, you will still be losing happiness despite their stated preference for such things. Equally as strange, the RB pop will also be gaining happiness on Green (fertile) planets despite saying how much they hate them.

However, this does allow for some better integration of the RB-based preferences. Since they happiness gains are now population based, instead of getting just the flat bonuses and pentalies to happieness, you can tweak it so that non-RB pop (even if playing as the RB) get the standard planet happiness modifiers, and RB pop get the opposite. This makes WAY more sense than the current system that magically makes organic races suddenly hate lush, fertile planets and love barren ones where they die :P. This creates an interesting choice for the RB player; terraform away from fertile planets to make room for more RB (at the sacrifice of organic populations), or leave the planets alone and allow the organic life to prosper there.

For now, Biophobic has been changed to provide:

+10 approval per pop on Sterile Planets

-2 approval on Fertile Planets

(keep in mind that by default Sterile Planets provide -8 approval; the net approval will be +2 approval per pop on Sterile with Biophobic). 

The idea is to keep the mechanics attached to a trait for customization and not to the population itself.

I think there should be some midpoint (say tier 1 planets) that give no penalty or bonus for normal pops, and then the happiness goes up or down from there. This strata can then be simply reversed for RB populations:

I removed positive approval from planet types to avoid too big bonuses, as luxury and anomalies already provide positive approval on planets.

#2: Us or Them (in general) and the Cravers

If I were to redesign (and limit the power of) Us or Them, I would have it be "+30 (or maybe even 50) happiness per capital under your control". This rewards militaristic action, like conquering enemy civs (a very militaristic thing to do!) while still limiting its utility. The current version (+20 happiness per war) and the Jingoist Bill are rather silly since they incentivize you to declare war on everyone for no reason other than the happiness bonus

That’s a great suggestion! I’ll change the law for that in the next update of the mod!

* Change the vodyani version of Species Stability to something that actually helps rough starts, instead of helping already snowbally starts. +20 tribute on systems would be good, since that would guarantee the first extra population in about the same time as other races get their first colony finished (at the cost of some influence).

You’re right! I added a flat value of +15 on systems, and kept the +2 per pop.

* Change Super Tax Act to either -15 happiness or back to a population based happiness penalty, so that everyone can use it at ~50 happiness and still be content after.

It used to be the case but made the law a no brainer law that everybody pushed T1; that’s why we increased the happiness loss. I don’t think we should lower it again.

* Change Larger Hosts Bill to not tax your population growth. Example: +10% food, -10% dust.

Manpower is a critical resource and we need to keep a law allowing to increase its generation!

* Change Green Fertility Bill to be less swingy due to lucky starts (i.e. not depend on anomalies). Example change: +5% fids per colonized planet on system or a flat +10% fids on system.

I’ll look on how to improve the usefulness of the law in early game!

Transvine system development and all the  happiness buildings still give flat happiness increases, and not per  population. So in a 4 planet level 4 system with all the buildings,  assuming cold war with everyone and no transvine system developments,  everything adds up to: 50 base + 10 + 25 + 5 per system level + 5 per  planet + 5 per luxury deposit = 125 + 5 per luxury deposit. ONE tier 3  planet is now enough to drive down the happiness to content. Two would  make the system mutinous. Isn't that a bit too harsh?

I kept some flat bonuses on purpose but Transvine should become a +X per pop indeed! For the total of bonuses, don't forget Hero Skills, and as Vodyani has a lowered quantity of Ark they can maximise, the number of systems with a governor. Still, we will keep an eye on it and adapt the changes if Vodyani is not playay

BUGS

With the mod active,  Vodyani no longer has access to the tier 4 religous law Peace and  Prayer Act. Not that it is any useful anyway, but something probably  went wrong there

We replaced the law by an Vodyani variant but it cannot work without gameplay code; that's why it's not in the mod. The law will immune Ark to pacific conversion and provide Essence per systems under Vodyani influence..

Looking forward to the next balance mod changes i.e. commander heroes and Vodyani Infallible authority skill I modded it in my latest Let's Play to this (below) and it seemed to work well, was strong but not overpowered/broken like the fidsi per pop per hero level version. The version I modded to was pretty much already in the file but was being superceded.

Heroes Balance:

I do believe Heroes are deserving of a rebalance; fleet heroes always seem to level up slower, System heroes sometimes level up rather sporadically and can occasionally reach stupidly high levels (I’ve had heroes with all skills unlocked and have 10+ skill points to spare) I have thought of a possible way of balancing it in my Idea Hero XP & Levelling Rework It is based on a relative system which in my option makes it easier to balance as you control the range the values can be in.

Thank you for this feedback; we won’t expand on it yet as we keep it for one of the next focus, but I want to make it clear that we read you and will be keeping this in mind. :)

Cheers,

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 18, 2017, 5:34:16 PM

On Species stability:

+15 tribute on systems and +2 per pop would be awesome, thanks!

On Super Tax Act and Larger Hosts Bill:

I understand why you don't want no-brainer t1 laws. However, lately people started recognizing toys for boys as a turn 1 law, so the choice was not entirely obvious anymore. I don't think the problem is that STA was too strong, but rather that the other options were too weak. Specifically, that Larger hosts bill did absolutely nothing turn 1 so that one was a non-choice. I still believe the correct design is to make all 3 tier 1 neutral laws useful on turn one, and let people choose between them.

I also understand the need for a manpower law, but I think that it could be moved to tier 2 (so, turn 20) with no problem. I think this set would make for an interesting turn 1 choice for most races:

* Super Tax Act -15 happiness, +3 gold/pop (so it keeps content on 45-50 happiness systems)

* [Larger Hosts Bill-replacement]: +10% food, -10% dust

* Toys for Boys: +25 happiness, -10% on systems (so it reaches happy on 45-50 happiness systems, so the effect is really +15% science/dust, +10% food/influence, -10% industry)

* Current LHB moved to tier 2.

On Transvine:

Heroes only give +20, apart from the class that gives exctatic on systems at the max tier (I forgot which one it is), and while I agree that vodyani is one of the best races to maximize the effect of governors, it's still kinda rough. Happiness per pop would solve a lot of those problems, though, (assuming that the values are not too low) and would probably make for a great tier 3 system development luxury. Thanks!

On the new tier 4 vodyani law:

That law sounds really interesting. I'm excited!

Thanks for the quick response :) It's nice to see the devs being active on the forums.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 18, 2017, 9:11:35 PM

Hello,

I am by no means an expert and frankly, a bit intimated to post here seeing as my fellow contributors are actually brilliant but here I go. As a disclaimer , I'll say I only played 120 hours, half of which are cooperative with my wife. I kind of appreciate the changes proposed, one does trouble me though it's the four level system being the new key to expansion. 

From all the mechanics, I found the science tree simple, elegant and efficient. Efficient because it pushed me to make trades in every path and adapt to my faction and the context of the game. For instance, if I want to expand fast, I need some influence to sustain laws and that's elegant because if it is also kind of RP. It made to over expand a challenge with for instance the riftborns.  Now if I just need to rush the gold and production, I think I'll get stuck into a 'one-path' scheme over and over again. I' m currently testing it out, maybe I'm wrong and maybe the timing of level 4 system even when rushed is not that early....  

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 18, 2017, 9:38:47 PM

Another question about vodyani laws:

Laws that give "+X per pop" works on systems, so one shipbound population that works on two planets counts as 2 population. However, the influence upkeep is only for individual population, so a system with 1 population that works on two planets still only counts as one population when it comes to upkeep. This means that vodyani has a much easier time sustaining powerful laws than any other race. I kinda like it as a shipbound-specific thing, but with powerful early laws like the new species stability I have a feeling it might be too strong.

Is this intended behaviour? 

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 18, 2017, 10:15:13 PM

Great Changes Guys. I like it. 

One Thing you can quickly change, maybe, is the Reward for Quests. I get a Quest at Turn 100 with a Reward of 80 Influence.... thats no Fun. Please make the Reward more depending on the Turn you reached Ingame.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 19, 2017, 4:38:06 AM

The changes themselves look alright, really excited to play around with the Vodyani stuff, but from the perspective of just getting back into the game after being away for a while, I would recomend a priority being factional balance. 

Horatio feel weaker than I remembered them, and that's even considering their gene-splice seems to have been improved. Their ships need to be stronger than they currently are or they will remain, by far, the weakest faction. Them being such a heavy outlier should be a priority in my opinion. 

To give some feedback related to the changes being looked at currently. Vodyani Alms for Essence is still a waste of screen space, especially if the proposed changes being are as good as they seem. Re-working or removing it would be a good idea, if just to remove clutter and direct attention to better options that are being introduced.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 19, 2017, 6:46:43 AM
NagohShan wrote:

Vodyani Alms for Essence is still a waste of screen space

50% dust to essense conversion what's not to like?  It's not that useful early game but can be pretty useful in many circumstances mid-late game imo when you have not much else to spend production on especially on out of the way colonies and if you've focused on dust e.g dustcidious/proto orchid and improvements.

Personally the the new Voyani Law 2 essense per pop seems negligible to me especially if it's the pop amount in the law screen rather than the actual amount shown on system screens.  Most players probably don't upgrade their first 2 Arks to essense modules as quickly as possible that's why they have issues with the Vodyani currently.  That's 40 essense per Ark equivalent of 20 pop with that law.  It takes a long time to get 20 pop with Vodyani.  Early game that law would be no real benefit.  Production starts to become the most important Ark modules on the third/fourth Ark imo to build leechers/fleet etc.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 19, 2017, 8:11:47 AM
Karmah wrote:

I am by no means an expert and frankly, a bit intimated to post here seeing as my fellow contributors are actually brilliant but here I go. 

Please, don't be, everyone here is welcome, your feedback is as important as everyone else's :).

Now if I just need to rush the gold and production, I think I'll get stuck into a 'one-path' scheme over and over again. I' m currently testing it out, maybe I'm wrong and maybe the timing of level 4 system even when rushed is not that early....  

Actually the values in lux required for each levels also have been increased in the mod, so you might not find it quite that easy even if tech-wise you have access to level 4 upgrades... but do try it out and let us know!

EDIT: actually it's only in our local builds for now, since this needs code :(

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 19, 2017, 5:53:08 PM
Macsen wrote:

50% dust to essense conversion what's not to like?  It's not that useful early game but can be pretty useful in many circumstances mid-late game imo when you have not much else to spend production on especially on out of the way colonies and if you've focused on dust e.g dustcidious/proto orchid and improvements.

Personally the the new Voyani Law 2 essense per pop seems negligible to me especially if it's the pop amount in the law screen rather than the actual amount shown on system screens.  Most players probably don't upgrade their first 2 Arks to essense modules as quickly as possible that's why they have issues with the Vodyani currently.  That's 40 essense per Ark equivalent of 20 pop with that law.  It takes a long time to get 20 pop with Vodyani.  Early game that law would be no real benefit.  Production starts to become the most important Ark modules on the third/fourth Ark imo to build leechers/fleet etc.

25% conversion, unless there's a proposed change that I didn't see. 50% would be better, but still, if you're making 1k dust per turn and you activate alms, then you're losing around 2k, most likely, when you consider likely fleet sizes and system upgrades. It doesn't take long to run through your stockpiles at those rates, and there are far better things to spend dust and industry on in the midgame transitions.

And no, people don't really upgrade their first Arks to essense modules because the first ark is the best fleet in the game available in the first few turns.  

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 20, 2017, 12:27:06 AM

Laws

Once I went in and fixed up the laws costs a bit, and implemented some of the changes here that weren't originally included, I found I really quite liked the new changes to the laws, especially Forced Peace. It's so much easier to play Unfallen when you can prevent people picking fights with you, and grow vines into their territory without them kicking up a fuss. But for the last two Ecologist laws, is there any chance that the Horatio could get laws that count your  number of Assimilated Peoples empire wide, instead of population  diversity within a system? This way the Horatio are given a similar  reward following similar logic, but accounting for their unique mechanic  and how it discourages the usual solution.

System Development Difficulty

As for the problem CyRob mentioned of level 4 System Development being so easy to obtain, I stand by the idea of having System Development Levels passively use up the relevant Luxuries as upkeep, much like Laws use up Influence. This would greatly reduce the problem of producing insane amounts of a given resource, and make any source of additional Luxury production quite valuable not as a source of Dust by selling on the market, but by giving more room for additional system development. https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/ideas/976-luxury-addiction

This would create a lot of space for economic counterplay and market manipulation as players now care about their Luxuries as a continuous stream of product rather than a one time cost, much like real life luxuries like coffee and tea.

Approval 

As for Approval gameplay, I'm still riding high at 100% Ecstatic approval much of the time, EXCEPT when I have a bad planet, which is still very manageable due to the presence of terraforming technology.

I am of the opinion that this is partly due to Overpopulation not being much of a threat like Overcolonization, and I believe Overpopulation cannot be allowed to be that much of a threat unless it becomes much more difficult to grow population and expand upwards. Right now ES2 needs a Civilization style system for population growth, where there is a theoretical ceiling that takes great effort for us to hit, and which we can keep expanding upwards for a very long time before we hit the absolute limit of upward growth. I would love to see Growth changed to increase with Population (So 300 for the first, and an increase for each Population on the system; personally I would add Population², which puts the Growth requirement to increment another Pop at 2800 for going from 50 to 51 population, which is in line with a very well developed Food system).

Until Food and population growth become difficult enough to justify investing in them for their own sake (instead of investing in them just to boost Manpower and Food-Industry conversion),

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 20, 2017, 12:46:52 AM
NagohShan wrote:

25% conversion, unless there's a proposed change that I didn't see. 50% would be better, but still, if you're making 1k dust per turn and you activate alms, then you're losing around 2k, most likely, when you consider likely fleet sizes and system upgrades. It doesn't take long to run through your stockpiles at those rates, and there are far better things to spend dust and industry on in the midgame transitions.

And no, people don't really upgrade their first Arks to essense modules because the first ark is the best fleet in the game available in the first few turns.

It's been 50% for a while the text is wrong.  If you're in need of dust you obviously don't use it but the primary source of dust in mid-late game is via selling of luxuries not from systems improvements.  It can be worwhile to use the second Ark in a military role for a limited time but you get it a lot quicker by switching to essense modules on the first as soon as possible. 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message