Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Games2Gether

Games2Gether

GAMES2GETHER is a brand new way for players around the world to participate in the creation of a video game! Working closely for years with players to share, discuss or compare ideas, we wanted to bring the idea of community one step further.

Amplitude, I believe it is time to start considering other game engines.

Copied to clipboard!
8 months ago
Sep 14, 2023, 1:57:38 AM

Amplitude, I believe it is time to break with unity and start considering other game engines, if anyone doesnt know, Unity has announced that it will be charging Developers money for EVERY INSTALLATION, and it will also apply retroactively to games as well, so games already released will also be subject to this, and because this announcement is so recent, I dont know if it will count installations already done, or just installations done after the change has been made. This is something that would not just destroy small indie companies, but also heavily affect medium size companies like you. This could also be exploited, if someone wanted to bring down or screw over a company, they could set up a program that constantly uninstalls and reinstalls a game that company made, forcing said company to pay money for every installation.

Unity has unveiled its true self, and even if they go back on this from the backlash and most likely threat of legal actions from devs and companies, Unity has already shown how far it is willing to go to screw over its customers for its own monetary gain, and while Endless Dungeon is too late into development to change engines, for future games after, I think its time to start considering the usage of other Engines or maybe even homebrewing your own Engine because at this rate, Unity will no longer be a trustworthy company by the end of the year.

Updated 8 months ago.
0Send private message
8 months ago
Sep 17, 2023, 11:57:57 AM

I'm sure it must be something that is being internally discussed by any company, big or small, that uses the engine, as is.

The appeal of Unity has gone from 'somewhat open source origins with community goodwill' to 'still relatively reasonable sliding scale engine' to 'effectively as bankrupting as keyselling websites but built into the engine' in quite an expedient manner.

Even if Unity were to recant on these changes, you can't just recoup trust and goodwill from the consumer/developers like that. My hope is that we don't see this become the norm, all it takes is one domino to fall and everyone starts trying to offer the 'things are getting worse, but ours is slightly better in comparison' version; say, Unreal starts doing the same at half the cost, or so on.

Fingers crossed that Amplitude, and others that make games we love, can keep up with whatever the right response, for them, is to these frustrating changes being foist upon them.

Updated 5 months ago.
0Send private message
8 months ago
Sep 18, 2023, 9:20:51 AM

I don't think they need any user input to decide on what engine to use. They are well aware of situation.

Updated 8 months ago.
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jan 18, 2024, 7:03:19 PM
DragonGaming wrote:

Amplitude, I believe it is time to break with unity and start considering other game engines, if anyone doesnt know, Unity has announced that it will be charging Developers money for EVERY INSTALLATION, and it will also apply retroactively to games as well, so games already released will also be subject to this, and because this announcement is so recent, I dont know if it will count installations already done, or just installations done after the change has been made. This is something that would not just destroy small indie companies, but also heavily affect medium size companies like you. This could also be exploited, if someone wanted to bring down or screw over a company, they could set up a program that constantly uninstalls and reinstalls a game that company made, forcing said company to pay money for every installation.

Unity has unveiled its true self, and even if they go back on this from the backlash and most likely threat of legal actions from devs and companies, Unity has already shown how far it is willing to go to screw over its customers for its own monetary gain, and while Endless Dungeon is too late into development to change engines, for future games after, I think its time to start considering the usage of other Engines or maybe even homebrewing your own Engine because at this rate, Unity will no longer be a trustworthy company by the end of the year.

The recent announcement by Unity, charging developers for every installation, raises concerns for the gaming industry's future. This unexpected move could have severe repercussions for indie and medium-sized companies like Amplitude. The potential for exploitation is alarming, posing a threat to developers. As a countermeasure, it might be time for companies, like Amplitude, to explore alternative game engines, breaking away from Unity's unexpected policies. For those seeking unblocked games amid this uncertainty, gradex games offers a diverse collection, ensuring uninterrupted gaming experiences.

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message