Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Legend
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Legend is a turn-based 4X fantasy-strategy game, where you control every aspect of your civilization as you struggle to save your homeworld Auriga. Create your own Legend!

Any type of diversity at all in the humanoid races???

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
Feb 26, 2023, 7:29:10 PM

Initially I was planning to just screw with y'all about your inclusion of a race that seems to cater to female dominatrix types and male pain slaves... I was going to really dig into how cringe and telling the inclusion of such a race is, considering I'm a male Dom who has had my share of female pain slaves in real life. How about you make a kink race that appeals to straight dominant men and masochistic women ffs.

I only picked that race for my first play through because I always go for the magic class on fantasy games. But after cringing through the horribly cringe intro cut scene for that race, I'm like "nope! I'm never playing this race again". I restarted the campaign to look for a less cringe race...

It wasn't actually that big a deal for me, though. Just a strange choice for a race on a video game...

But what IS a big deal to me is when I went to check out the other races to find another magical class and noticed there are multiple human looking races that are all just white people in different types of clothing...

Where is any human type that isn't of European descent?

The only non-white human type race has unnatural grey toned skin. That race is ironically called "the forgotten"

But you guys included them, but "forgot" anyone who looks like they are from Africa, south Asia, or south America even though those continents hold most of the human population of our planet, not to mention the fact that north American natives weren't white either.

But multiple different races of human like beings in your fictional universe look like they are of European descent, as if no other ethnicity of human exist in your universe...

I'm a black man so it's hard not to notice this on a game that has ROLE PLAY elements and multiple... Umm... "Races" to choose from.

I noticed that the other games on this website have brown skinned, wooly haired characters right on the cover art, but the one game I'm interested in doesn't have any diversity at all.

As I said, I think y'all have just "forgotten" to add at least multi-race options for leader portraits or unit designs or to change one or more of the human type races from "yet another white person" to an actual different race of human...

I just wanted to point the lack of racial diversity out. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. But the lotr excuse doesn't apply because this game isn't based on a European world. It's a different planet randomized continents. 

All you really need to do is take two of the human type races and change the portraits of both, one to a more south east Asian look, and the other to an African look, and then adjust the skin color of the units in the African based race.

I'm a solo game developer so I know those three changes could be made to your game in the course of just one day, maybe two depending on the number of different units in the African based race.

So there would be no excuse not to change them now that someone has pointed this out to you.

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 27, 2023, 2:11:38 AM

Earth does not exist in the endless universe. The vaulters, which are likely where most humans descend from on Auriga, were predominantly white. However, if you play ES2 and look at the other human empire, the United Empire, the art and hero portraits depict a diversity of people.

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 27, 2023, 9:46:15 AM

You are right, it isn't based on European world. It isn't based on Earth world at all. There are dark-skinned humans in Endless Universe - Pilgrims, Nakalim, as prime examples. That said, they are dark skinned not because they have any connection to Africa.

Racial diversitity arguments in fantasy setting are generally silly.

And faction design should not cater to your sexual preference here. THAT is cringe.

0Send private message
0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 27, 2023, 1:01:55 PM
hibbidy_jibbidy wrote:

i would avoid feeding the troll

Had a good laugh either way, but whether it's a troll or not I felt the answer being out there be helpful for anyone searching for the answer in the future.

Sublustris wrote:

You are right, it isn't based on European world. It isn't based on Earth world at all. There are dark-skinned humans in Endless Universe - Pilgrims, Nakalim, as prime examples. That said, they are dark skinned not because they have any connection to Africa.

Racial diversitity arguments in fantasy setting are generally silly.

And faction design should not cater to your sexual preference here. THAT is cringe.

I'm pretty sure the Nakalim aren't human, they existed pre-humanity.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 27, 2023, 2:34:25 PM
CaptainCobbs wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Nakalim aren't human, they existed pre-humanity.

If I remember correctly, they and Mezan/Mezari have common progenitor. So yes and no.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 27, 2023, 5:27:49 PM

It's interesting to see a newer EL player share what feels like their honest opinion, about how the Endless universe appears from their perspective and life, and it quickly being called trolling.  I applaud most replies being more constructive and imformative.

OP, you might keep things sorta PG in your first post for a video game or put a NSFW as a nicety for those easily offended online (yes, the Ardent Mages look a lot like BDSM powered magic users and yes that might be problematic for some people now that it's 2023, personally they are one of my favorites to play as they are so difficult to Master game play wise, hehe puns), because you make some legit criticisms which hopefully someone at Amp will see before EL2 (hint, hint)

Maybe there were very few POC working at AMP when EL1 was made? and they didn't think to include others in their Fantasy/Sci-Fi universe building.  Doesn't mean there can't be 15 new factions added in future games (yes please!) that help balance this over time.  Maybe we could get one more paid DLC for EL1 that is a community collab to work together on a new faction for this game and future ones =D

Anyways, an interesting point raised about EL and future video games being potentially more inclusive (which raises sales, right)

haz

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 27, 2023, 9:40:28 PM

I'm not trolling anyone. It is easy to not see an issue with diversity on a video game when you get to see people who look like your people all over a game representing multiple entire races of people. You won't see the problem.

But when you are part of a race that historically never see people who look like your people in scifi/fantasy movies and games, hearing people who are always catered to try to make excuses for a fictional universe that has that "oh by the way, everyone is either white or a monster" energy, doesn't look good at all.

Also I have no interest in a 4x space game, and endless dungeon isn't what I was looking for. Human kind probably won't run on my laptop, and endless legend 2 probably won't either.

I was interested in endless legend 1, and I was frustrated with the fact that newish game developers are still making fantasy games with only white humans...

Here is the thing. Humans from earth look like we do because of evolution that happened on earth. A whole lot of random chance went into mammals ending up with four limbs five fingers/toes (and yes most mammals have these features) and ending up winning out over giant land reptiles and giant land birds (dinosaurs) because of some random extinction level event that randomly benefited our animal ancestors, then to have primates separate themselves further, then to have ancient human variants, with early humans wining out over all the variants and then creating villages and then societies spreading around the third rock around a random star.... In a random galaxy billions of different stars... In a random galaxy cluster in a random coner of a potentially endless universe.

To think that aliens that aren't from our earth and our history on earth would somehow look like humans with primate-mammal features doesn't make any sense in the first place...

In the fictional sci-fi universe I'm creating I'm taking this into consideration.

But many creatures just make aliens look like humans which is fine, but when you world build around alien humans, you have to take into account evolution. Whatever planet the humanoid races is from, since they are human enough to look like white people (very light brown skin humans) with primate features, then they had to come from an earth like planet with a similar evolutionary path. 

People from different areas of that planet will have different levels of melamine in their skin because of the uneven rays of the star on the surface of a spherical planet, causing people to have skin that is different shades of brown just like humans on earth.

What happened to the human type people who had darker skin? Race wars? Genocide?

When a writer decides that non-earthlings somehow look like earth based humans, they need to take into account, why...

In star trek there was an ancient race of humanoids that seeded human-like beings on many worlds. But even then, evolving on different worlds caused many of the alien races to have skin colors that aren't on the brown spectrum of color like all earthlings have. The purple and blue skin were a result of different star and planetary features effecting them differently...

My point is, regardless of if the endless legend races are from earth, they are based on earthlings, so they would represent the diversity of earthlings.

The creators of the endless legend univers chose to assume that multiple non-earth species of humanoids would all look like only one of earth races is short sighted from it's initial conception.

As I said, I think they just forget and didn't have the type of people working with them during development who notice it and bring it up.

But it changing the skin color of a 3d model is as easy as moving a slider up and down, and making new hero/leader art is as simple as drawing new pictures, they can change this oversight after the fact... Ffs just change "the forgotten" from grey to brown. It makes no sense for them to be so human-like and similar to the other races but have a skin tone that isn't a part of the brown color spectrum like the other human-like races on that game does in the first place...

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 12:36:46 AM

You're taking something incredibly trivial and making a big deal out of it, it's a stylistic choice, also explained by the fact that a lot of the races in the Endless universe were artificially created/manipulated. The Vaulters up until the point of the game either lived underground or in tundra/arctic environments. Generally, you need sunlight to tan no? The Forgotten, another human faction, are genetically modified vaulters, their grey skin color (assumedly) either helps them be stealthier, or is a consequence of whatever experimentation was done to them. The only humans on Auriga with any sort of tanning are the Roving Clans, who do in fact live in the desert. Even still, I don't think Humans have been on Auriga for enough time to tan.

Seriously man you're looking too much into this, the fact that so many creatures are humanoid is just a stylistic choice, they're not going for hyper-realism, the Endless universe isn't hard sci-fi at all, treating it as such feels incredibly disingenuous. You're taking a single instance of the universe and criticizing that there aren't any dark-skinned people, and then say that you're not interested in looking at the evidence when I tell you that ES2 has a large diversity of human races and skin colors. 

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 8:33:18 AM
KillMaker wrote:
To think that aliens that aren't from our earth and our history on earth would somehow look like humans with primate-mammal features doesn't make any sense in the first place...

It's not suppose to - it's FANTASY.

KillMaker wrote:
In the fictional sci-fi universe I'm creating I'm taking this into consideration.

That's the thing. You aren't creator of Endless Universe. Some things are already at place here.

KillMaker wrote:
People from different areas of that planet will have different levels of melamine in their skin because of the uneven rays of the star on the surface of a spherical planet, causing people to have skin that is different shades of brown just like humans on earth.

What happened to the human type people who had darker skin? Race wars? Genocide? 

If you want to be that matter-of-fact, it is safe to assume that space-faring humans will eventually have their levels of melamine droppped to the level, where whole generations will have same light skin color. Sunbathing in space is lethal. They will be most of the time shielded off from star radiation, and high melamine level will became rudiment and atavism, that no longer gives evolutionary advantage.

KillMaker wrote:
The creators of the endless legend univers chose to assume that multiple non-earth species of humanoids would all look like only one of earth races is short sighted from it's initial conception.

Not really, once you'll know that all "human" races in EL aren't natives to Auriga, and came from space (and same space-faring species) at one point of time or another.

KillMaker wrote:
As I said, I think they just forget and didn't have the type of people working with them during development who notice it and bring it up.

I guess. Not that much of an issue, when you are creating world of zombie-bugs, treants, techno-automatons, armored wraiths, dragonlings, moth bats, eldritch horrors and genetic experiments. Humans are afterthought and goal is to make them INTERESTING, not familiar boring earth-humans.

KillMaker wrote:
Ffs just change "the forgotten" from grey to brown. It makes no sense for them to be so human-like and similar to the other races but have a skin tone that isn't a part of the brown color spectrum like the other human-like races on that game does in the first place...

They are grey-skinned, because of exposure to quantum nanomachine-filled and toxic, hostile environment of planetary-scale alien experiment laboratory. Not for the mere reason of different level of melamine.

I get what you are saying. You just want to play black guys in fantasy setting. You have right to wish so. And while I think this is indeed a simple oversight in EL, it's lesser issue then you make it to be. This game simply isn't your cup of tea.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 3:53:42 PM

It's not a big deal to you because the developers made everyone in the game look like your people. 

As you said it's a fantasy world, so the developers made a continuous choice to make only white people exist in it. Do you know how fucked up that is. You would if you weren't white.

Yeah I'm black and making a fictional universe, and I'm NOT making all humans black as if white people don't exist. Same with any alien races of humans.

Space faring people whe have been in space so long that it effects their evolution enough to change their HAIR TEXTURE would also have other major changes that stops them from looking human, they would be smaller and weaker with large heads an weak bodies...

Black people aren't just tanned white people ffs. In fact. White people are pale black people frfr. But the difference don't stop there. Hair texture, face types, head shapes. Millions of years of evolution won't just disappear after a few hundreds of years in space anyway... And when all races mix together you get tan people with very curly hair frfr.

You are making an unwinnable argument. 

Making fiction where ethnic people don't exist is strait out of the times when black people were considered to be less than human.

To say that it isn't a big deal because you aren't the one being excluded is selfish asf fuck frfr.

I'm sure if the devs read this thread, they took note and realized what they did wrong, and they are probably face palming hard when reading your "good ol' boys" "ethnic people don't matter so excluding them "isn't ba big deal"" logic

You guys are making yourselves sound very young and spoiled. I wasn't making these posts for you, I was making it for the devs. I'm sure they are wise enough to understand where I'm coming from even if you guys aren't.

It's easy for you to say it's not a big deal when you aren't the one being left out... And it is extremely short sighted to make the arguments you are making.

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 3:59:30 PM

And a magical fantasy grand strategy game IS my cup of tea, that's why I chose to buy endless legend. I was told it was one of the better ones in the genre. And I liked the game enough to put in all the effort of joining this website and remind the devs that gamers aren't all just white people. There is no excuse in this day and age to make entire human races with only white people. That looks so bad and I know the devs are better than that.

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 4:06:49 PM

I mean seriously, you say this game "isn't my cup of tea" because???... Because I'm black???... 

You are saying the devs didn't include black characters because this game isn't for black people???

You don't think the devs want everyone possible buying thier game?

You should do the devs a favor and stop trying to speak on their behalf. 

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 5:13:06 PM

Dude. If this game had multiple races of brown skinned wooly haired people and not one white person on the game, you would be wondering how no white people are in this game, and probably play Warhammer instead...

Well what if all the human races in Warhammer are black too...

And what if all the historical grand strategy games were set in Africa instead of Europe.

And if you go on steam or Google play and see nothing but smiling and smirking black faces on the majority of games you see.

And you download newer MMORPGs that say you can create any character you want, just to find out that all you can make is black people with afros.

And what if 90 percent of heros in the super hero genre were black, and you grew up in the 80s where most of the people on TV and in movies were black.

What if you lived in Alabama within miles of racist black people who actually have "fantasies" about your race not existing for real??

What if all this was the case, and you came on here to ask for more diversity on a new game you liked, and a bunch of young entitled black boys told you it's not a big deal???

Then you would definitely truly understand where I'm coming from, and you wouldn't lift a finger to make the types of comments that you have been making here.

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 5:17:25 PM

To clarify. I meant it isn't your cup of tea, because it's not focused on diverse racial representation, that mirrors real human races. Which, to my understanding, is deal breaker to you.

And I couldn't care less if human races weren't white, my favorite races aren't even human.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 5:30:23 PM

If the core of your argument is that these are fictional races that didn't originate on earth, then why not make elves with green skin or something, because they are so close to nature? Why not make the wayfarer's skin blue? They aren't from earth...

They are completely fictional races in a world with unrealistic monsters and magic right???

If you are going to base the characters on humans, then based the damn characters on HUMANS.

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 5:39:32 PM

I'm not some sjw, dude. Don't confuse me with them. I'm not looking for modern politics in my fantasy games, and I probably wouldn't automatically use a black race if I liked the mechanics of a different race.

My issue is why they are not there AT ALL.

If you don't understand why that's an issue, then maybe this topic just isn't your cup of tea.

I said what I I had to say on the first post. It's the short sighted, selfish, and spoiled gatekeeper responses from a hand full of this games player base that is making this a big deal.

You don't understand what you are talking about, because you are not forced to like I am. Just leave it alone.

My message is for the devs. Not you.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
a year ago
Mar 1, 2023, 12:35:09 AM

Y'all were trolling me frfr. 

Y'all say the classic bs that people say against diversity these days because sjws used racial diversity to hide their feminist agenda behind, and over saturated the concept until people take it lightly and make a joke of it.

I get triggered when I see your dismissive attitude towards me pointing it out because you have been desensitized to the issue.

Then y'all try to use the manipulation tactic of trying to paint anyone who disagrees with you as a troll to in an attempt to discredit them.

I'm sure the developers are not idiots who fall for such childish manipulation though.

0Send private message
Comment
0Send private message