Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

How To - Translating Love Thyself

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Jun 5, 2019, 4:02:27 PM

Hello, brothers. I have - obviously - opened this thread here, for everyme's, as a contact point / hub for translation relevant topics.

First some general questions:

Q: How is it intended to integrate the translations? Should they be created and updated as mod via steam-workshop - i.e. completely on the creators' own initiative?: ... or will "Amplitude-certified" translations be integrated into the game as an official language version?

A: According to Frogsquadron (author of Love Thyself) the steam workshop comes into play. Everyme can do a translation around the world ... galaxy!

Q: Will there be sources where the Ren Py project files - at least the files relevant to the translations - will be available? Or should the translators work their way through the script files (like I do) - and of course the susceptibility to errors increases, because the Python scripts have to be compiled (keyword: syntax, consistency)? Of course you can, because in principle you have to translate line by line.

A: See Frogsquadron's posting below concerning technical aspects of the translation process and workflow.

Q: Who will be the contact person for the different translations?

A: There is still no "Foreign Office" yet. So I guess Frogsquadron (Frog) and The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales (Cat) will be the official persons to be asked.

Q: Can a #channel for localization topics be created on the discord server, where translators can help each other?

A: Yes, a dedicated channel titled "#love-thyself-tanslations" (folder Other) is now available on Amplitude discord server (see social media links, top right)

May HIS power be with us!

Questions translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

(not too bad...)

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Jun 6, 2019, 9:25:53 AM

Heya,

Great thread idea. Stickied for relevance.

1 I think the best way to do this would be as a mod, since for most languages we wouldn't be able to guarantee the contents of the translation, so going through the Steam Workshop seems the best option.

3 Yes, I'll be showing in a post below how to do so.

4 You'll need to be more specific with that question.

5 I'll see what our local Cat can do.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Jun 6, 2019, 10:34:14 AM

Here's a bit more documentation. First off, the Ren'Py documentation on localization can be accessed here. I don't think there's much you need to know from there before you can start translating. A very interesting guide, which I recommend you take a look at, can be found here.

To create the localization files necessary for your language, you'll have to download Ren'Py (it's free). Boot up the software, take a look at the Tutorial just because it's very informative if you want to dig into the script, and then click on +Create New Project (1). 

If it's the first time you have ever used Ren'Py, it will probably ask you to set up an editor for the rpy files. Go with your preference, I've personally used NotePad++ which you can configure to use with Ren'Py, but any will do.

The name itself doesn't matter as it's not the display name of the project. As you can see, ours is called "Horatio V2", because there was another "Horatio" project before, the very first prototype of Love Thyself! Moving on, pick 1280*720 as display, then just click "continue" on the accent and background colors window because you're about to overwrite them anyway, and it'll create your first working files for the Ren'Py project! Whee!

Then open your files browser, go to your Steam folder, and copy the contents of your Love Thyself folder. By default, the path is something like C:\Steam\steamapps\common\LoveThyself , so just head over to \common, click on LoveThyself, and ctrl+A / ctrl+C that stuff.

Then click on Open Directory> base in Ren'Py, which will open the folder that was created for your project. Ctrl+V in there to copy the contents of the game, and boom, if you click "Launch Project"  it should now basically boot Love Thyself! Just check that it works.

Now, click on "Generate Translations," which will create the required files for the localization of your choice. In "language," type whatever language you're translating into (type the English name for it to keep it easier for everyone, and make sure it's lower case). Then click on "Generate Translations" below it.

Let the thing process, and notice that your game folder now has a new subfolder, "tl", which should contain a subfolder in itself with a bunch of rpy and rpyc files.

Those are the ones you'll be working on. They only include the displayed text strings (and choices, and menus) so as not to mess up with the rest of the script.

They look like this (note that particular look may vary depending on software used. This is, once again, NotePad++ because I'm a simple man):

If you want to get started from that point on, it's easy: just start filling in the "" !

To check the results, you'll have to refer to the guide I mentioned above, which I'll just re-link because I do what I want.

Let us know if you have any questions and we'll help as best we can!

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message