Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Faction Creation Contest - The Visual Design Shameless Self-promotion thread

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Sep 2, 2016, 4:30:57 PM

Hey guys and gals!

Any self-promotion going on on our forums should be happening within the confines of this thread. No shameless bumping, no pulling hair or branches. If you're wondering "will this be steering trouble if I post it?" or "am I skirting the line with this?", then save us all some trouble (and let me live another ulcer-free year) and don't.

Wondering how to participate? Read the rules first!

Thanks, and have fun! 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 2, 2016, 4:47:02 PM

Yes, you may start submitting entries. If you've read the rules, how should be clear.

Yes, you are submitting designs for the Unfallen.

If you so wish, you may also post these designs here, but understand that only email submissions will be taken into account (including changes -- no email no dice), and that this is the only place where they'll be displayed before the general vote to select the finalists, if you post them. You may post them elsewhere online, but again, that'll be your own responsibility. Haters will be sent a hitman.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 2, 2016, 4:51:26 PM

Where are the rules/email we're supposed to submit to? I don't see anything on the contest tab yet (If you can't tell, I'm excited to participate in this one )

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize it was on the Devblog tab instead of the Contest tab

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 7, 2016, 10:17:38 AM

OUTSTANDING! I'm in! Endless Space will be game with deep strategic layer, I suppose!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 7, 2016, 10:31:22 AM

That's what we're aiming for, yes! Looking forward to seeing your submission!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 7, 2016, 11:26:39 AM

Good luck to all the talented artists who will participate in this competition! Man, I'm jealous of your talent, I wish I could enter myself

The Unfallen might be a bit of a challenge, I hope we'll see something a bit more sci-fi than ents in space, especially considering the cyborg nature of their ships. Then again, having a plant-like lifeform in ES2 is cool enough on its own (been waiting for that since ES1) so, after a second thought, ents in space are actually not really a bad thing haha

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 7, 2016, 10:35:17 PM

I'm early to the party but I felt like I wanted to use my time yesterday and today drawing (but mostly today). And since we are allowed to shamelessly promote ourselves here I wanted to share some werk. Share some joy with ye this day:

Left: Civietree Right: Wartree

I like the idea that since an Unfallen would live for a very long time and "grow" over that time, they would grow as many appendages as they would like and in shapes they prefer to have upon oneself, perhaps in relation to their role in society; although I like the unifying theme of 5 glowing eyes and other markings that would set the Unfallen apart and be identifiable even if they are a mass of leaves and multiple vines arms - like a Tangela Pokemon .

I also quite like the idea of incorporating rock, crystal and "structures" woven into the growth worn as decoration or armour to break up the wood like organic body; perhaps if this concept was explored further, each Unfallen would have a core "stone" that the body anchors around. This design of natural woods mixed with geological elements like stones, precious or no, as well as parts of other civilizations structures or Endless architecture would create rather interesting looking heroes and ships - at least I think so.

I was toying around with ship ideas looking at seeds just before I went into Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics and I quite like the idea of solar sails instead of conventional engine propulsion to push the Unfallen ships through the void of space - kind of like how Eldar ships in 40k travel about. One of the smallest of these ships would be... a Sycamore Seed or Tadpole shape. An elongated ball with a sail, like ehhhh, this sort of:

Behold firepower!

But eh, more detailed obviously and a smaller sail. Put some guns on that and we are good to go.

I hope someone who is stuck for ideas gets a little boost forwards from my post as well, a spark of creativity!

Thats all for now, I will reserve this spot for the future finishes and ships and so on. Then I will scan my images properly and crop them into the correct file size and resolution for the email.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 7, 2016, 11:36:31 PM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:

This design of natural woods mixed with geological elements like stones, precious or no, as well as parts of other civilizations structures or Endless architecture would create rather interesting looking heroes and ships - at least I think so.

I like what I am seeing and those are some intriguing ideas, keep up the good work!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 8, 2016, 7:51:29 AM

Thanks for sharing your work with the community, looks like it'll be a great submission!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 8, 2016, 8:36:08 AM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:

I'm early to the party but I felt like I wanted to use my time yesterday and today drawing (but mostly today). And since we are allowed to shamelessly promote ourselves here I wanted to share some werk. Share some joy with ye this day:

[snipped content for legibility]

That looks amazing! I'm getting an elvish vibe from some of your designs, and the idea of large solar sails that look like leaves or wings would fit well thematically, especially if the predominant colours will be brown/mustard green.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 8, 2016, 11:20:52 AM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:

[snipped content for legibility]

Wooh! Nice to see the first submission, it looks great. You've got some talent. 

Your idea in regards to having different substances and materials found in nature being woven into their bodies/ships sounds interesting. It would certainly make sense. I can visualise a caste system being determined by the type of ore an Unfallen is born with. 

I'm curious to see what gun-like weaponry will look like, do you think they'll be incoprated into their bodies or existing apart from it? 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 8, 2016, 12:04:31 PM
BG123 wrote:

Wooh! Nice to see the first submission, it looks great. 

Not the first to the party.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 8, 2016, 2:45:46 PM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:

Left: Civietree Right: Wartree

This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I visualized when I created them. 

Also, the musings over a caste system and incorporated stone, etc. are awesome. I love the ideas. 

Great work!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 8, 2016, 4:30:40 PM
DevildogFF wrote:

This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I visualized when I created them. 

Also, the musings over a caste system and incorporated stone, etc. are awesome. I love the ideas. 

Great work!

Yusss. The space cred is real. Thanks, I am glad to hear such praise from ye.

Also, I would like to thank everyone else so far to has given me kudos for my pieces, for your kind words.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 8, 2016, 4:35:37 PM

I have to say that I've rarely had to fend off so many members of the Amplicrew who wanted to participate.

"But I have so many ideas!"

"Shh, it's a community faction, let the community do it and go back to designing AI!"

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 8, 2016, 5:06:17 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:

I have to say that I've rarely had to fend off so many members of the Amplicrew who wanted to participate.

"Shh, it's a community faction, let the community do it and go back to designing AI!"

That makes me immeasurably happy. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 8, 2016, 6:21:04 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:

A good sign we made the right choice then.

Also here is a 100m ship, (ignore 300m written underneath, mistakes were had)

As you can see, on this "little" ship there is a single solar sail curving up from the underbelly. The 5 circles on the ship is meant to represent modules; on this design the modules would be spread across with upper flat sections. Featured on the front of the ship is the 5 eyes since the "little" ship is an Unfallen, a really big space Treant. 

On terms of colourations, I think natural colours like blues, oranges, browns and greens will work well on the living elements; I like the idea that the sails would be a vibrant glowing orange to contrast with the rest of the ship. Although more traditional colours don't need to be used since we are working with Alien plantlife.

Now the question is, is the ship the captain or is the ship acting like an on board ai? Or is it both at the same time... 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 8, 2016, 6:38:09 PM

I think the best colours for this faction would be: 

Also since I imagine the Unfallen are way way taller than humans, fireflies/butterflies, birds and other creatures hang out around them. Also they could use an eerie, mystical glow to them.  They should feel ancient, powerful but benevolent, wise and even a bit mystical.

I think the Wild Walkers in EL are probably the closest faction thematically to them. 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message