Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Oversize Text in UI? (1920x1200)

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 6, 2016, 9:01:27 PM

Hi, first post after picking up the new EA release. I'm familiar with the "Amplitude UI Look" from having played Endless Space and Endless Legend.

This new UI looks a bit blown-up by comparison, with a larger text font in the new game. I guess my main concern is that it will require extra scrolling on menus with long lists, or quest descriptions. It feels like the fonts have been scaled for larger monitors like 4K, so it's looking a bit oversize on my 1920x1200 monitor.

Not a big deal, I was just wondering about it because it looks so different from the previous games. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 1:55:26 AM

You can try diabling the larger UI by going into options->UI and try "Force Low Definition UI"

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 5:12:24 AM

Thanks for the tip. I tried it, but now the UI text is too small, and the info boxes for things like the tech tree only take a smaller part of the screen, with lots of wasted space around the info.

Can't there be a middle ground like the previous games? Or better yet, just scale the UI appropriately for screen resolution. These two settings are going to leave people like me either squinting at tiny text, or looking at large text that looks like something from a console game. 

Amplitude has a reputation for creating great UI design, but it needs to scale properly for different monitor sizes and screen resolutions. I don't think I'm all that unusual in using a 24" size monitor running 1920x1200 resolution.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 8:24:33 AM

Hi folks,

I have made some screen captures of ES2 and EL, focusing on the letter "A". 

ES2 is on the left, EL on the right. There is indeed a slight difference (13 pixels versus 12 pixels), but nothing so drastic as what you are describing. Also we use a different font so its effective height is different, even if we use the same setting when we generate both fonts: 18 points.

Also we can only support 2 modes of UI, HD (meant for 1920x1080) or SD (1280x720), not go in between.

Cheers,

0Send private message
a month ago
Apr 5, 2024, 12:29:37 AM
AmpliMath wrote:

Hi folks,

I have made some screen captures of ES2 and EL, focusing on the letter "A". 

ES2 is on the left, EL on the right. There is indeed a slight difference (13 pixels versus 12 pixels), but nothing so drastic as what you are describing. Also we use a different font so its effective height is different, even if we use the same setting when we generate both fonts: 18 points.

Also we can only support 2 modes of UI, HD (meant for 1920x1080) or SD (1280x720), not go in between. By the way, when I was looking for a file solution, I found one cool find, I can't help but share. I had to edit a file, or rather make a conversion and I am very glad that I found here convert image to html code and now it can be done quickly and without any problems. The service is very reliable and fast. So it may be useful for someone else.

Cheers,

I don't see much difference between the fonts, by the way.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message