Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

[EarlyAccess]Narrative Events and Quests

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
Nov 23, 2016, 7:02:45 PM

Just want to blurt out that the text and perspective of the UE storyline is damn well done. :)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 23, 2016, 10:57:34 AM
  • Did you see some bugs? I’ve already read that “Bug Fixing” is something impossible to complete (it should be possible and even easier to achieve it soon J ) but did you see some other strange situations?

Not yet.

• What is your feeling about those quests/events’s appearance? (appearance rhythm, diversity…).

The divdersity is really really nice. Sometimes political, sometimes just build stuff. Really good. Appearance rythm is good as it is now. Especially the option to choose an objective is VERY good. (Srsly, keep that.)

• Did you see some silly objectives, stuff you can’t achieve, which are too complicated, annoying to do, that you never want to do?

Sophons/Political quest: Militarists vs. Pacifists: In the second part of the quest where the militarists build a blockade, you get to choose whether to have zero industrial output for 10 rounds or half output of every resource for 10 rounds. This is FAR too much. Quests giving boosts feel good. Quests giving you major mali are very bad. (For example: I'd be fine with -50 & industry vs. -25% overall, but not more than that.)

• Are the rewards sufficient? Did you receive a poor reward after doing a super complicated Quests? Or, on the contrary, a super building after killing a stupid pirate? xD

Experienced nothing like that yet. The rewards seem okay.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 25, 2016, 9:17:10 PM

Hi! For me, having lots of different quests will be great but it will be even better if the Devs focus on replayability of quests through semi-randomized outcomes of a player's decisions. Example:

1) You choose to ranch space cows.

2) There is 50% chance of a space cow disease evolving and infecting your population. The more Ecologists you have in your senate, the less is the chance of this event.

3) If the pestilence occurs, you will have a chance to avoid a dramatic aftermath: the more Scientists you have in your senate, the more is the chance, and if you are successful you will get a minor reward in a randomly picked form of either a slight science boost (these bacteria are so curious) or a local food boost (the disease killed the weakest cattle and a superior breed evolved). 

Some hints to the variables or general principles might be present.

After all, this approach does not require much additional artwork. It is even better to use a single picture throughout a questline to make its parts more recognizable.

quaedam wrote:

RageMcGeezaks wrote:

Asking you to garrison two fighter ships in 10 turns. Early game this is barely possible without crippling your entire game.

That’s annoying indeed. I could postpone it and require the Era2 to launch it.

I cannot comment on that specific quest but please don't make quests too easy. It is not bad if involving yourself into a quest means a hard decision requiring a careful assessment of the situation. Failing quests is a part of the story as well.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 25, 2016, 10:21:20 PM
RageMcGeezaks wrote:

Asking you to garrison two fighter ships in 10 turns. Early game this is barely possible without crippling your entire game.

So I usually go for the other option, pretend to build but never finish only science buildings for 10 turns. 

Which is also crippling, but at least you don't have to finish these buildings to get the reward. :)

I didn't found it difficult (playing on normal). I just desing a ship named "CHAEP" with the cheapest hull and no mudules on it. You can build 4 of them very quicly and scarb once you got the reward.

Of course it can delay few turns (in this difficulty rarely more than 3-4) and make you lost a bit of dust, but it never crippled my economy.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 31, 2016, 2:52:15 PM
quaedam wrote:

phanemy wrote:

I love these quete, mainly when they add lore, but i things they appear too often.

Thanks a lot J We’re trying to find a good “appearance rhythm”, that’s why we’ve asked your opinion about that. Thanks for the feedback

Caelie wrote:

I like quests and events in general a lot, I think they add much variety to the game that keeps it from going stale, but I find myself agreeing with phanemy that they are a bit too common now. It seems like one is almost always popping off. It's a bit much. I would prefer each quest/narrative to be more impactful (both in difficulty and reward) and to not have them happen so often.

Thanks for your input, I’ll remember that. 

Syrenion wrote:

In general I think, this illustrates nicely the gripe I have with the quests from a purely mechanical point of view: while narratively and visually they are great to read and add flavour to the game, they are often too demanding, complicated and time-consuming to really make it worth the effort. Often times I found myself going out of my way trying to get to quest markers that were just too far away from me, thereby using up a ship I direly needed in other situations. 

Now I think this might also be a Early Access problem, since with a bigger map and without time limit and with the ability to turn off the score victory, one might actually be able to take the time to fully commit to such taxing quests, but at the moment they seem rather a hinderance at times.

Thanks for your feedback. I understand what you mean and I think we should find a balanced way to create quests which are complex/demanding, but also easier quests and events that the player should achieve in just a few turns without changing too much his/her gameplay. 

I disagree that there are too many quests or they pop too often. I find most of them much more achievable then in EL. I've done everything game asked me to in the first 60 turns of my first playthrough, and I had all the galaxy explored. I liked that pacing and it was fun. If anything, I feel that there would be not much to do, if quest pacing was slower, at least in this stage of EA, while lots of mechanics are missing.

Writing this just to balance the feedback.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 31, 2016, 5:35:59 PM
lo_fabre wrote:
RageMcGeezaks wrote:

So I usually go for the other option, pretend to build but never finish only science buildings for 10 turns. 

Which is also crippling, but at least you don't have to finish these buildings to get the reward. :)

I didn't found it difficult (playing on normal). I just desing a ship named "CHAEP" with the cheapest hull and no mudules on it. You can build 4 of them very quicly and scarb once you got the reward.

Of course it can delay few turns (in this difficulty rarely more than 3-4) and make you lost a bit of dust, but it never crippled my economy.

Okay, nice!

Then I suggest to rename quest accordingly: 'garrison two piles of garbage in 10 turns'  ;)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 1, 2016, 1:31:12 PM
RageMcGeezaks wrote:
lo_fabre wrote:
RageMcGeezaks wrote:

Okay, nice!

Then I suggest to rename quest accordingly: 'garrison two piles of garbage in 10 turns'  ;)

Uups! That wasn't my intention, just solved the quest the quickest way occurred to me.

This quest is really unbalanced, as both branches have a very different difficulty, but not sure if rewards are corresponding..

I also used this tactic sometimes in ES1 and EL. In first to get bonus for orbiting ships, and in last to achieve some quests, so it's not new to Endless games and I'm sure I'm not the only one to use it.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 1, 2016, 2:55:32 PM
lo_fabre wrote:
RageMcGeezaks wrote:
lo_fabre wrote:
RageMcGeezaks wrote:

Okay, nice!

Uups! That wasn't my intention, just solved the quest the quickest way occurred to me.

This quest is really unbalanced, as both branches have a very different difficulty, but not sure if rewards are corresponding..

I also used this tactic sometimes in ES1 and EL. In first to get bonus for orbiting ships, and in last to achieve some quests, so it's not new to Endless games and I'm sure I'm not the only one to use it.

I think it is a very creative way to deal with it, as with other games, sometimes the optimal move does not really make any sense outside of the game itself. 

For the balance of the rewards I am not sure. 

The science building seems really good, but I never really could afford to spend so much time building it in the early game.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 1, 2016, 6:14:38 PM

Only I want talk about I love the narrative events in Endless space 1, and I want more of that in ES2, but with more impact in the decisions. This kind of things make the game inmersive and interesting.

A idea: Maybe more events related to heroes and her adventures for the space? Like heroes of might and magic 3?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 1, 2016, 9:25:21 PM

I finally recalled a relevant issue.

I had a Craver quest about the growing a Bishop. I needed to increase Craver population within 10 turns, but every other new pop was the one of a minor faction despite Craver trait and Cravers being more numerous at the beginning of the quest. I did everything I could, but it was an early game so I did not have many options. I failed, of course.

This quest is either a win or fail without much impact from a player's actions. I think it can be made more difficult, but it should provide some options like eating a population unit - even if you need to force your Cravers into cannibalism.

Besides, please consider there could be a bug with the Cravers' trait.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 11, 2016, 9:18:05 PM

Just in case these bug reports were more appropriate here:

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/114-bug-reports/thread/21349-those-darn-kids-bug

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/114-bug-reports/thread/22055-bug-a-clever-fake-event

I will eventually get to placing some save files into these two threads.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 20, 2016, 7:35:35 PM

Just a minor "bug", I refined a reward building for Dust (I really can't remember which ?), but I could not re-build it.

Those should be unrefinable I think (but in this case, building rewards should have no maintenance costs I guess).

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 25, 2017, 12:23:56 PM

“Please help me.”

The Amoeba kneels in the sand, sobbing.

--------------------------

The Amoeba, kneels? In the sand?

I understand why it turned out like this, but still want to ask that will there be race-fixed quest or quest texts in future?

An amoeba kneels in the sand feels really wired...

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 25, 2017, 3:02:54 PM

Haha, I agree, it feels quite weird! 

I will discuss that with the writers and find a way to fix that :D

Thanks Templerlord, and sorry for this... bizarre experience! 

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 25, 2017, 3:14:19 PM

I think one issue I have with quests is that many of the minor factions quests to assimilate them are too easy or can be completed by doing something that was going to happen anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've had a minor faction tell me "We'll join you, but only if you're large enough! If you can achieve a total population of 8, we will join you!" and I can't help but think "Ok, guess I'll be seeing you in 2 turns then."

My only other gripes were the Academy quest and Those Darn Kids quest, but you're already covered those :)

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 25, 2017, 5:03:22 PM
templerlord wrote:

“Please help me.”

The Amoeba kneels in the sand, sobbing...

Uh, yeah.

We're on it.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 26, 2017, 12:12:15 PM

Hi again,

After update 2 started 4 campaigns (2 Horatio, 2 UE) and didn't get the Academy quest. Is this gone? Or simply are you improving it?

Thanks

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 28, 2017, 7:27:02 AM

After official update 2 the Academy quest someway reappeared. Suspect it was a bug or something related to its preview, so no problem here.

With version 0.2.30 two issues with quests, not important, but delaying:

First with UE in second choice I pick industrialists, actually this is demanding to enact 3 industrialists laws, while federation government only allows two laws. I looked for the tech that allows you an extra law slot, but now is a free tech reaching Pop&Inf quadrant (the left one, sorry don't remember the name). It left me with a hard choice: go straight for this quadrant using all my inf, change to democracy (I think is the one that has 3 law slots from start) losing my industry bonus or leaving the quest.

Not sure if this is intended and one of the "hard choices" for player or an unexpected effect of the new tech distribution. ATM is not game breaking, but significant delay to quest completion if you don't want to lose good bonus or research opportunities.

Second with Sophons, I pick the militarist way in first chose. This was easy since update 2, and with good reward. But now, with the low industry values of Hekim (unique planet), is hard to reach, as production at early game is very low (this issue affects other game aspects and has even its own thread). As before not sure if intended hard choice or an unexpected effect of planet grid redesign.

A side of this, thanks for your good work!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Feb 4, 2017, 5:17:07 PM

Hey guys,

I finally had enough cash left to get the game and am loving it so far, I however had a big issue that makes it impossible for me to complete one of the paths of the Cravers main quest.
I decided to revive the Endless and let him lead my people into the Infinite factory.
One minor problem however was that my borders had expanded far beyond the star system and was already colonized by my people because it took so long to level him up to 9. (In the time it took him to level up to 4 times some other heroes had leveled up 6.)
Once I finally got him to the factory I decided to rebel against them, I easily destroyed their fleet but now I had to invade my own planet... which is impossible.

I decided to evacuate it, hoping the native faction would return, they didn't.

Now i'm stuck hovering over a barren planet with something awesome forever beyond my grasp.

I really hope this can be fixed without to much effort!
(Maybe making the invasion a curiosity with the requirement being to have a certain amount of manpower in your fleet, or having the planet automatically switching back to the opposing faction.)

Thanks allot for making this game and I hope to see more soon

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 12, 2017, 9:45:43 PM
  • Did you see some bugs? I’ve already read that “Bug Fixing” is something impossible to complete (it should be possible and even easier to achieve it soon J ) but did you see some other strange situations?

When I fail or cancel a quest, then I get the completed quest message for the previous quest.  I immagine you're aware of this.

On one of the first craver quests when you bring a ship back to your home planet, its not clear that you must disband the fleet to complete the quest.  Many people just park the ship in the system and are confused as to how to finish the quest.  I would make sure players know how to disband before this quest is issued.

• What is your feeling about those quests/events’s appearance? (appearance rhythm, diversity…).

The art is always beautiful.  Sometimes though, I feel that the minor faction quests are out of character with the race that gives the quest.  

• Did you see some silly objectives, stuff you can’t achieve, which are too complicated, annoying to do, that you never want to do?

As mentioned before, the early craver quest.

• Are the rewards sufficient? Did you receive a poor reward after doing a super complicated Quests? Or, on the contrary, a super building after killing a stupid pirate? xD

I think that it is too easy to add minor factions.  The small tasks that you are given seem paultry to the advantage of earning a new planet.  I would have multi-step quests that require different types of actions to win.  I.e.  find a ruin, return to planet, donate dust, complete a building...

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message