Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space is a turn-based 4X strategy game, covering the space colonization age in the ENDLESS™ Universe. You control every aspect of your civilization as you strive for galactic dominion.

Will there be Death Star style super weapons?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 7:31:51 AM
Steph'nie wrote:
There won't be any Death Star style super weapon. Nonetheless, the dev team has indeed thought about some powerful weapons for late game.

Okay. How about a SUN CRUSHER style super weapon? smiley: stickouttongue

I kid, of course. Personally, I'm getting a little tired of the "planet-buster superweapon" that permeates most sci-fi. It's a little refreshing to see it NOT included. smiley: smile
0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 16, 2016, 11:24:18 PM
I had similar idea, but not regarding stuff destroying systems/planets.

I'd like to see some superweapons as rare and costly ships being equivalent to Giants from Endless Legend when each player would have limited amount of such units allowed. They would have unique powers and great battle strength. Maybe they would be built like Giants while being visible in the system view during construction, or, whats even cooler, only found and restored as ancient remains of Endless wars. They would be like endless wonders from ES1 but in form of a one-army unit. I really wish to see such stuff in ES2, if not in main, then maybe in some DLC.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 9:35:20 AM
I could imagine some space stations, mobile and not movable super weapons like in sins of a solar empire, but that would need a lot of testing. An addon with something would be great tho^^
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 9:08:30 AM
I actually kind of like the idea of a space station as mentioned earlier...something that could be placed down but have multiple potential uses...for reference I, even though I'm not the biggest fan of it, will bring up Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

A station of that size could be used for various things. Once built it could be given a specialization for whatever your goal may be. Want it do be a diplomatic hub for a potential ally? It could be outfitted with very light defenses but provide a significant trade/diplo bonus. Want it to be a defensive frontline base? It could be outfitted with medium defenses but provide a good bonus to ship repairs. It could be an offensive frontline base...outfitting it with the heaviest defenses but otherwise providing no bonus to nearby friendly ships themselves.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 8:58:25 PM
Maclardal wrote:
Not super weapons per se, but perhaps terraforming weapons? You have to have your fleets in position over an enemy system and they cannot have any fleets present either. Then once per turn you are able to use an expensive, single use module (or something like that) that will terraform enemy planets. You could wreak havoc if you found your enemies' shipyards or Dust generators.

Perhaps the advanced version of this would effectively be a super weapon that allowed you to turn enemy planets into asteroids, which of course cannot be terraformed back as we know.

This actually would just a very cool single use mod in general used either as a weapon or used in preparation to colonization. You should submit it as a suggestion imo.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 8:53:07 PM
Not super weapons per se, but perhaps terraforming weapons? You have to have your fleets in position over an enemy system and they cannot have any fleets present either. Then once per turn you are able to use an expensive, single use module (or something like that) that will terraform enemy planets. You could wreak havoc if you found your enemies' shipyards or Dust generators.

Perhaps the advanced version of this would effectively be a super weapon that allowed you to turn enemy planets into asteroids, which of course cannot be terraformed back as we know.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 3:46:02 PM
*cough* Master of Orion 2 Stellar Converter weapon *cough*

Nothing like wiping out the orbiting fleet then punching a clean hole through a homeworld...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 11:38:12 AM
remorr wrote:
Also Star Ruler handled it in quite interesting way. It was possible to throw unlimited amount of resources to get ship as big as you want to.

Did it once, construction was quite interesting to 'roleplay' and result was unstoppable, but it didn't really fit for a galaxy conquest.

Yes, I did the same thing. Took me several hours to build it and consumed insane amount of resources. But in the end I had a 100 times bigger capital ship I named the Throne of Inq.

However it got destroyed due to facing far too many smaller ships alone...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 10:38:29 AM
Inquisitioner wrote:
Reminds me of star ruler, where you could eventually outfit your ships with weapons strong enough of blasting suns(Took a long time to do it and depended on the size of the sun). Making em unstable and vaporizing the solar system.

Also Star Ruler handled it in quite interesting way. It was possible to throw unlimited amount of resources to get ship as big as you want to.

Did it once, construction was quite interesting to 'roleplay' and result was unstoppable, but it didn't really fit for a galaxy conquest.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 10:25:55 AM
Reminds me of star ruler, where you could eventually outfit your ships with weapons strong enough of blasting suns(Took a long time to do it and depended on the size of the sun). Making em unstable and vaporizing the solar system.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 11, 2012, 7:31:37 AM
One awesome thing about many space games is the ability to built super weapons. Will Endless Space have any?

And on a side note, is it possible to just outright destroy a planet/solar system or at least destory everything on it/in it thus saving you the trouble of having to convert the population over to your side first?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 4:56:29 PM
Killscreen wrote:
Perhaps not "death stars" that destroy entire planets! More like giant spacestations that can fend of huge waves of enemies and is fairly hard to obtain. (i would like to think of the starbases in Sins of a solar empire)

Those sucked against larger waves. Especially if not well upgraded. But the idea is good, I used mine mainly to repair ships and have an outpost close to enemies.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 2, 2012, 7:48:36 PM
Perhaps not "death stars" that destroy entire planets! More like giant spacestations that can fend of huge waves of enemies and is fairly hard to obtain. (i would like to think of the starbases in Sins of a solar empire)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 2, 2012, 7:29:56 PM
i agree with this, as the technology and period of time progresses more powerful wespons sould come out as the game pace starts to become faster to increase the threat to your empire as war escalates and to keep evolving your fleets so to speak
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 23, 2012, 3:03:13 PM
There won't be any Death Star style super weapon. Nonetheless, the dev team has indeed thought about some powerful weapons for late game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 11, 2012, 11:52:50 AM
Ashbery76 wrote:
I think superweapons should be just late game tech to speed up mopping time.

Yes, I think that would be prudent otherwise it'd possibly be very unbalanced.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 11, 2012, 11:13:58 AM
I agree with Hardcore_gamer (although the Terror stars in Galciv were next to useless I always found). I'd be reluctant to set a cap on the power of weapons late game. I kinda like the notion of a player building a super weapon in a desperate attempt to fend off a superior foe (where have I heard that recently?).

The countdown Alderbranch cited is a great idea. You have 10 turns to save your empire... It'd be nice and desperate.

The weapons/ ships that could pull off a major assault would have to be truly epic though, real end of the world kinda ships. It would be awesome to watch a series of allied fleets banding together to destroy (in my case) the evil Boygor empire's superweapon!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 11, 2012, 10:35:47 AM
Alderbranch wrote:
T

I for one does not like the idea of system-destructive weapons as that would really upset the balance.

It doesn't have to upset the balance if they are really difficult to obtain.

For example, just look at how GalCiv 2 handles Terror Stars (which basically just rip of the death star from Star Wars). It requires you to research like almost a dozen different techs (almost all of whom are expensive and take a long time to research) and even after you have done that it takes a long time and even more money to actually built one. And then even after it has been built it moves much slower then normal fleets. The amount of effort that takes to research and make terror stars can easily be used to create whole fleets of normal units or on something else instead of Terror stars which meant that building and researching terror stars typically came at a very big expense to your empire.

I don't think Super weapons would unbalance the game so long as the effort and resources required to build them is such that players can't just decide to invest in them on a whim, but instead have to decide carefully in advance if or not they are willing to invest in them or not do to the long term cost and effort required to make them.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message