Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space is a turn-based 4X strategy game, covering the space colonization age in the ENDLESS™ Universe. You control every aspect of your civilization as you strive for galactic dominion.

Text Errors

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 2, 2012, 10:31:11 PM
In his bio it reads,

Forsythe demonstrated an uncanny ability to "asses" a battlefield... ect ect.

As much, as he may like to ass the battlefield I think he should assess it instead :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 2, 2012, 11:55:26 PM
Hi forum, and sorry for being the grammar nazi here, but I think it's a good idea to have a thread about all the text errors we find in the game. I'm sure the devs want the text to be just as perfect as the rest of the game.

If this is the wrong subforum, please move the thread!

I found two mistakes in tutorial texts so far: one is in the System View tutorial, point 4 should be "Some Star System improvements have an upkeep cost and can be scrapped...", the "be" is missing,

and the other is in the Planet View tutorial, also point 4: "The current value represents the active population, which is multiplied by/with the base FIDS", "by/with" is missing. I attached screenshots of both.

Please contribute to perfect the text in this great game!

Sincerely,

r3n

/edit: Okay, attaching the pics wasn't the brightest idea. Doesn't matter. Need to sleep. Good night!^^

0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 12:17:16 AM
There is a grammar error in Galaxy creation, Advanced Settings.

If you drop down "Number of Constellations" and mouse over "Unique" the tool tip reads:

"The galaxy will be constructed by an unique constellation."

The proper grammar:

"The galaxy will be constructed by a unique constellation."

English language, you sneaky thing.

smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 4:52:20 AM
Second this post. Really love the game and just want to help make it perfect :]

Noticed the same grammar errors as noted above.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 1:16:06 PM
As the writer, I can only welcome like-minded nitpickers to the game smiley: smile

The "unique constellation" one is odd; in the latest version of the file that sentence reads: "The galaxy consists of a single large constellation." Hmmm....

I have updated these bugs and will watch this thread like a hawk...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 2:23:56 PM
Found another spelling error in the text for the Research 'Xenominerology'. In the first line it says "It is note merely..." and obviously it should be "not". Slow them hands down Slowhands! smiley: wink

I dunno if different races get different text so I'll just add that this was while playing as the Sophons.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 5:17:52 PM
Just found a typo... the hero Conan Forsythe description said: "He left the planet as sson as ..."

edit: found another one: "ability to asses" perhaps it should be "access" ?!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 11:16:07 PM
Hi,

I'm French so maybe the text errors I noticed are not actual errors. In this case, jsut ignore my comments.

In the tutorials:

Tutorial: Planet View

4-The current value represents the active population, which is multiplied the base FIDS output of the planet to determine its contribution to the system FIDS.

I guess a "by" misses after multiplied.

Tutorial: Diplomatic Status

3-You can click on another emperor to center them in the view and see their relations with other empires.

Tutorial: Academy

6-If you want to know more about a Hero, you can click the Inspect button to check out their information and abilities.

Tutorial: Hero Inspection

1-A Hero's overall power is defined by their level, which is the same for both classes.

4-The Hero attributes determine the bonus they bring to a Star System or fleet.

5-When a Hero has gained enough experience governing a Star System or commanding a fleet, they gaina new level and can unlock a new ability.

Tutorial: Encounter Panel, Battle Report

4-If a Hero was injured, they are returned to your Academy, waiting to be healed.

For all these, the subject is unique (a hero, an emperor...) and the pronoun is plurar (they, them...). Looks weird to me.

Bonus:

Tutorial: Ship Design View(continued)

2-Simply click on a module to remove it from the Ship Design and free up some sausage space.

Are there hotdog sellers ships? Or sausage space means cargo space in English?

Once again, these jsut look weird to my French eyes, maybe these are not errors.

PS: Yes I read the tutorials, quite rare for me in a game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:11:26 PM
Got this one too ^^. But there is another one: for Harvester Prime hero description: since then he is a valued "troubleshooterfor", space missing
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 3:02:47 PM
Hi, I started this thread to hunt and kill typo/errors in the game texts. Feel free to add it here so that game devs can find this minor bugs and correct them easily in upcoming releases.

I don't have a lot of them for now since I got the alpha for about 1 day and also because devs may have done a good job smiley: stickouttongue.

- For the sophons, ability "Fast Traveler" says "movement reduction" maybe instead of "movement increase"

- Conan Forscythe hero description: he left the planet as "sson" instead of "soon"

- Harvester Prime hero description: since then he is a valued "troubleshooterfor", space missing

Feel free to add more here, if prefered, I can edit my post to add your findings (with the name of the "hunter").

Good hunt!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 3:33:48 PM
Creeper wrote:
Just found a typo... the hero Conan Forsythe description said: "He left the planet as sson as ..."

edit: found another one: "ability to asses" perhaps it should be "access" ?!

Thanks for pointing out the typos. =D But there was a thread for those typos already: I merged the thread with the existing one.

Edit: same for you Ihmotep59! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 4:54:42 PM
Reskibil wrote:

For all these, the subject is unique (a hero, an emperor...) and the pronoun is plurar (they, them...). Looks weird to me.

'They/them' is basically being used as the generic third person instead of 'he' (which is standard) or 'it' (because some of the races aren't really he or she). For those of you who count yourselves among the truly obsessed, here are some links that discuss the subject smiley: smile

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/magazine/26FOB-onlanguage-t.html

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/is-%E2%80%9Cthey%E2%80%9D-acceptable-as-a-singular-pronoun/
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 7:54:36 PM
There's an error in the Military View (continued) tutorial, point 5: "The Military Power (MP) is a compound representation of a ship combat strength..." there's an "s" missing, it should read "...of a ship's combat strength..."
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 6:28:08 PM
The very first paragraph on the right side of this tutorial screen should read:

"This screen shows the Star System's status and allows you **to** manage its production (queue? or tasks, etc)"

The **to** needs to be added, and something at the end would be nice. It CAN stand without anything at the end, but it feels cumbersome to read, at least to me it does.

(Second Screen - item 4)

"...have an upkeep cost, and can **be** scrapped..."
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 6:51:11 PM
Should read:

These provide **an**(not anD) excellent source of renewable energy."
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 4:02:07 PM
Naisho wrote:
In his bio it reads,

Forsythe demonstrated an uncanny ability to "asses" a battlefield... ect ect.

As much, as he may like to ass the battlefield I think he should assess it instead :P

No, we're missing the word "kick" before "asses" and "on" after it, that's all smiley: smile

Thanks all, the changes have been integrated.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 5:31:36 PM
Tutorial Encounter Panel, Battle Report

(1) "The health and battle power of **any|all** remaining ships are updated"

(2) the grammar is a little clunky on this item. Perhaps "A list of destroyed and surviving ships for each side.." But honestly, I'd prefer a complete rewrite of this item - something more like "The results of the battle on each side's fleets can be seen here, with destroyed ships listed with a red X over them." -OK, that's pretty clunky too, but a few moments should be spent polishing this item if possible.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 6:20:37 PM
Reskibil wrote:
Hi,

I'm French so maybe the text errors I noticed are not actual errors. In this case, jsut ignore my comments.

I found many of those while I was playing. I think it's perfectly fine to refer to one person by they or them (I do it all the time). It is a pronoun used to reference one person without needing to use a gender or call them "it".

I too do not understand the "Sausage space" reference.

Here are some errors that I have found (I posted them already in a post titled "Typos, Bugs, and Errors").

TYPOS:

Tutorial: Battle Action Panel

4) ...These actions are unlocked by your Heroes as they gain levels, and they must be an admirals in the fleet...

Tutorial: Ship Design View

3) ...is an absolute limit to how many ship modules you can build into to a ship...

[ThislastoneisonethatIjustdon'tunderstand,maybeit'sajokethatIjustdon'tget[Ithinktheymeantmoduleorstorage]]

Tutorial: Ship Design View(continued)

2) ...free up some sausage space...
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message