Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Sides in Battle

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Feb 3, 2021, 8:28:26 PM

I think that there should be more than 2 civs in battle make battle interesting. Please share your views on it.

0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Feb 4, 2021, 5:28:26 AM

Isn't that the way it's going to be already? I could have sworn that allies joined each other in the first OpenDev (the one with the Aztecs and Khmer).

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Feb 4, 2021, 2:05:05 PM

Unfortunately, that is not how it works in Humankind. We like the idea and thought about it, but had to accept that we would not be able to deliver this, at least not for the release version of the game. We cannot tell yet if we will be able to add this later.

0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 1, 2021, 11:44:01 AM

Well I know this post is old, but having multiple sides in a battle and fighting along allies would be really cool.

One solution that I could think of, is the "lending of units". Imagine a 2 vs 1 battle, suppose Greeks and Romans vs Chartaginians. When the Greek player is about to engage in a battle against the Chartaginians, and there are Roman units close to the battle tile (say, no more than 2 tiles away), the Greek player can use those Roman units as if they were their own. It would be something like the Greeks are the commanders in the Greek-Roman alliance, for that particular battle. If the battle continues during multiple turns, the Roman player can keep bringing units to the battlefield to join the fight.

Of course, the usage of allied units should be agreed via diplomacy when the alliance is signed.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 1, 2021, 3:58:34 PM
aguaacrobata wrote:

Well I know this post is old, but having multiple sides in a battle and fighting along allies would be really cool.

One solution that I could think of, is the "lending of units". Imagine a 2 vs 1 battle, suppose Greeks and Romans vs Chartaginians. When the Greek player is about to engage in a battle against the Chartaginians, and there are Roman units close to the battle tile (say, no more than 2 tiles away), the Greek player can use those Roman units as if they were their own. It would be something like the Greeks are the commanders in the Greek-Roman alliance, for that particular battle. If the battle continues during multiple turns, the Roman player can keep bringing units to the battlefield to join the fight.

Of course, the usage of allied units should be agreed via diplomacy when the alliance is signed.

That's a good idea because it can make game less complex.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 2, 2021, 10:48:08 AM

Hello,

I can't wait for this game to release ! BUT !!!!
I just made an account because of this thread, due to delay and making game "more fun to play" i want to shout out that sides in battle should be implemented, as alliances make multiplayer game so much deeper than making battles 1v1. Players just want to interact with others, only "nerds" (no offense) are typing that they like to play alone and make some roleplay with singleplayer but common players want the fight ! Imagine, like lord of the ring there is a battle and the white rider comes to your aid ! I just cant wait for the multiplayer game to start and wreck havoc on my friends with them to make alliance vs me :D Later on the battles like WW2 with all players to be present in. When i looked at mechanics of combat first i thougth that this will be 100% sure to implement but happens that is no, its so sad because this mechanic is much much important that those UI changes, animations and other cosmetics ... DEVS  I BEG YOU CHANGE IT

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 3, 2021, 12:56:53 PM
Ciabat wrote:

Hello,

I can't wait for this game to release ! BUT !!!!
I just made an account because of this thread, due to delay and making game "more fun to play" i want to shout out that sides in battle should be implemented, as alliances make multiplayer game so much deeper than making battles 1v1. Players just want to interact with others, only "nerds" (no offense) are typing that they like to play alone and make some roleplay with singleplayer but common players want the fight ! Imagine, like lord of the ring there is a battle and the white rider comes to your aid ! I just cant wait for the multiplayer game to start and wreck havoc on my friends with them to make alliance vs me :D Later on the battles like WW2 with all players to be present in. When i looked at mechanics of combat first i thougth that this will be 100% sure to implement but happens that is no, its so sad because this mechanic is much much important that those UI changes, animations and other cosmetics ... DEVS  I BEG YOU CHANGE IT

Thanks for supporting the thread, i also think that if i am doing alliance it won,t be beneficial in battle because my ally cannot fight on my side. 

I think that ally can jump into my battle after starting of battle because battle happen on engaging with enemy troops.

My ally or enemy ally can enter as ally reinforcement. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 3, 2021, 11:38:37 PM
Abhi2410 wrote:
aguaacrobata wrote:

That's a good idea because it can make game less complex.

Of course there should be some sort of mechanism preventing the "commander" player (in my example the Greeks) from using his allied (the Romans) units on the most vulnerable positions.

A sort of "penalty" can be triggered when a disproportionate number of my allied troops are killed when I am the commander of the battle. For example it can go from grievances against me from my ally, to the denial from using his troops in further battles, to the break of the alliance.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 6, 2021, 6:09:33 PM

Oh definitely! I understand that such option to "1 vs many" or "many vs many" couldn't be implemented in many games or in Endless Space for example. But when you presented the combat system it looked like designed directly for flexible team compositions. Now it is just lost oppurtunity. Such system may increase the downtime for other player who are not participate in the battle, just wait for his allies to make skirmishes against each other. With 5+ player other will wait as the fights won't be short and their results won't be solved instantly like in ES2, but it requires more focus and time, that the other players may feel they lose as they couln't even watch it and cheer. Plus the cooperative feel and tactical deep of the game may be lost in term of combat. It is really the shame it won't happen, becouse the game in general looks very promising. You say you want to provide the real simulator of civilization development, which (apart of obvious simplifications which I'm fine with) seem to be true, but war alliances and common battles are historically acurate among widely in human history being the real deal in many critical moments of civilization's fate, which mostly relied on single battles. Otherwise it's just unrealistic.

So pros for introducing that are:

- Realism.

- Tactical depth.

- Multiplayer user experience.

Cons found so far:

- Additional development effort.

This feature could be also optional for those who don't like it, but anyway should be in base. Obviously I support this idea.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 6, 2021, 6:25:55 PM
i3ackero wrote:

Oh definitely! I understand that such option to "1 vs many" or "many vs many" couldn't be implemented in many games or in Endless Space for example. But when you presented the combat system it looked like designed directly for flexible team compositions. Now it is just lost oppurtunity. Such system may increase the downtime for other player who are not participate in the battle, just wait for his allies to make skirmishes against each other. With 5+ player other will wait as the fights won't be short and their results won't be solved instantly like in ES2, but it requires more focus and time, that the other players may feel they lose as they couln't even watch it and cheer. Plus the cooperative feel and tactical deep of the game may be lost in term of combat. It is really the shame it won't happen, becouse the game in general looks very promising. You say you want to provide the real simulator of civilization development, which (apart of obvious simplifications which I'm fine with) seem to be true, but war alliances and common battles are historically acurate among widely in human history being the real deal in many critical moments of civilization's fate, which mostly relied on single battles. Otherwise it's just unrealistic.

So pros for introducing that are:

- Realism.

- Tactical depth.

- Multiplayer user experience.

Cons found so far:

- Additional development effort.

This feature could be also optional for those who don't like it, but anyway should be in base. Obviously I support this idea.

This feature can give experience like ww2, ww1, etc that,s why i put this idea.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 16, 2021, 6:01:35 PM

Two allied forces attack one enemy, there is first battle and then next to finish him off ? Its take time and morale of player who rage and alt+f4 after this because most of people cant loose
When they could attack at once there is better chance for the defender to win due to crowded and unfavorable terrain for attacking armies, but this make a question is battle in this game is more of quality play or quantity of units

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 18, 2021, 3:44:37 AM

I can imagine maybe later down the line battles grabbing your ally's units and your ally can "okay" you to deploy their units in combat, since you both cannot be in combat together against the other person since that screws with the synchronous turns. This could allow you to use your ally's units as cannon fodder, but that could then maybe provide a sort of diplomatic penalty or some such if one side loses a disproportionate amount of soldiery compared to the other. Maybe a bonus if you lose more than them or something.

I just don't know if that's even implementable as the combat system currently functions.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 18, 2021, 1:08:35 PM

What if one side of the battle can move/attack at the same time ?
It will be like 1v1 but with more ppl
Look at civ game, their battle system is dumb, who click first win but it work and give a lot of fun for players ! Here we have a better system, is it that hard to implement two or three allied players moving/attacking at the same time in 2021 ?
 I know that battles should be fast so other players wont wait and this is the answer, and remember more battles more time it gets and its not fun when 1v1 because others wait

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 21, 2021, 7:42:50 PM

I'm not exaclty sure how it be implemented, but having turns per team orper player can be also balanced, there are already plenty of games where it is supported. People arelimited in their armies only by surroundings, so that wouldn't be a problem even more.

Having many players in one battle doesn't give a downtime for other player, becouse more of them are able to participate, so user experience is also balanced out. How the people bahave in the middle of the battle, like charging and then going back to make your ally being hit first can be also fun part of tactic the game could lose if such feature wouldn't be implemented.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 1:55:17 PM

We have our answer right here  1:53:20
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/996684299

but now I want to know what's the real problem in there, is it the idea of making move by players ?

Did you ever saw turn mechanics in warhammer gladius ? What do you think about them being installed in humankind game, is it possible ?

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 2:36:44 PM

The first issue that comes to my mind is a player acting outside of their own turn.  That would seem really difficult to coordinate and balance.  If an army attacks with their allies on their ally's turn, does that army get the opportunity to attack on their own turn?  Is that balanced or game breaking?  I think the 'lending' idea has merit, but like has been stated in previous posts, would still need to be balanced in terms of potentially abusing your ally's units.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 12:44:50 AM

I think that only 1v1 battles are the biggest problem this game have at this moment and this will take joy out of multiplayer in this game,
War in multi is the most fun moment in the game, thats why civ 6 have its popularity among players, civ is unbalanced  at multi, simultaneous turns are broken (who click first in most of the time) but playing it is fun and fast and thats why ppl love it. Humankind is BETTER, their combat system is perfectly balanced for 3v3 even more ppl ! They have few options like simultaneous team movement, it will be a little messy because 3 players will move at the same time but it will be a lot better with it implemented in the game than without it !

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 11:32:30 AM

Allies are the first step, multi faction fights where everyone is on different sides however probably shouldn't be a priority. Would still be cool to have but I can already see the balancing nightmare and figuring out how to structure combat so that it involves extra parties that aren't just attacker and defender.

Maybe the turn order can go like;

Attacker

Any third party armies that are within the combat zone and wish to fight (I don't have an idea for an exact formula to decide turn orders if even more third parties participate in battle)

The Army the Attacker targets/The Defender (since you can only target one army with your units)

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message