Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Apr 22, 2021, 9:47:25 AM

Hello all!

In our previous OpenDev, we received a lot of feedback on the AI in Humankind, which was unfortunately skewed by a bug in the difficulty selection often having people play at a lower difficulty than they intended.

Since you should now be able to properly select your difficulty, and we've continued to work on the AI in the months since Lucy, we'd like to hear from you what you think about the AI.

Here are some questions we'd like you to consider in your feedback:

• Does the AI play in a way that feels consistent with their Archetypes and Biases seen in the diplomacy screen?
  • How did the AI evolve throughout the game? Did it feel equally challenging at the start and end of your game? Does increasing the difficulty increase the challenge as much as you expect?
  • Does the AI commit any grave strategic missteps? What is the AI doing and what do you think it should do? (Please provide saves if you can.)
  • How does the AI perform in battle? Does it make any obvious mistakes it should avoid? What would you have done in that situation? (Please provide a save if you can)

Please let us know what you think!

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 7:11:47 AM

Edit: going to leave this here as it reflects my thoughts during my first playthrough in Humankind, even though I've learned more in the mean time ;)

Not really sure if this is on topic (nor where else to put it), but I experience multiple problems concerning the ownership of districts and changing these in the diplomacy screen that make it hard to say how the AI is supposed to react. Almost game breaking, imho. (Edit: Would have been better under Diplomacy Feedback)
- I seem to keep missing a war resolvement screen when the AI surrenders. Early on in the game, I won a siege of a capital city. Suddenly, we were at peace and I only occupy this region (making it impossible to do anything). Have not been able to solve this, as we are now at peace and I can't claim this district. (Edit: probably a bug where the end war confirmation message is sometimes missing)
- I cannot figure out how to use the expansionist trait to annex a territory. It somehow involves clicking the button and/or selecting an army and a region. Edit: you need to go to the district administrative center to do this. Have been thinking on how that could be made more obvious)
- I declared war on a neighbor with a single district. We did not exchange any hostilities at all while I fought a different war at the same time. Suddenly (never saw a war resolvement screen) I lost this war and he became my liege! Could not find a way to settle this, other then declaring a Suprise War on him later on. Again we skipped the war outcome but apparently this freed me of him. (Edit: same end war screen confirmation bug)
- Assimilation of independent districts is way too easy. Because I earn tons of influence each turn, I just assimilated four districts in turn 90 (only had 2 cities before) and I also don't mind the penalty in influence points for having too many cities. (Edit: bugged and/or needs to be adjusted, as discussed elsewhere)
- I just fought and won a major siege over the enemy capital, killing all his units involved. This changed the war score a meager 8 points. Then I lost the war because of some minor issues (proximity, unfairly started war, etc), missed the war resolvement screen again and apparently agreed to ceding that capital, an outpost of mine and a lot of gold. I think the war points could be calculated more fairly, right now it seems to award winning smaller battles and ransacking? (Edit: insight in how the war percentages work improve over time and number of fought wars, to be honest)

These five reasons combine into a rather different world map with mixed up district ownerships. Kind of takes the fun out of this run.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 1:59:25 PM

They should make bigger armies when they fight, as they are never going to outsmart a player in tactical combat. Also, focusing on ranged units dealing damage to AI without any retaliation cost is super powerful. I feel ranged damage should at least be lowered significantly when firing into units inside city distritcs.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 2:50:58 PM

I've only played once through, so I'll try it again later to see if this replicates.

I was playing the Greeks and using armies made of 3 hoplites and a bowman.  I went to war with the Celts->English, and after defeating their existing armies, the AI began spamming horsemen through the end of the Medieval period, as in they sent nothing but armies of four horsemen against my hoplites.  Despite taking serious losses, they never figured out how to change their unit build order and just kept sending out the same units.

By any reasonable measure, I should have been crushed, since I was still figuring out the city-outpost system at the time and only had one city, but their inability to switch to a different unit type or use mixed tactics meant that I could just hold up in a narrow spot and let them destroy themselves on my spears.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 26, 2021, 1:08:42 AM

Does the AI play in a way that feels consistent with their Archetypes and Biases seen in the diplomacy screen? 

Unfortunately not. Many archetypes and biases are invisible to the player because they don't play out in the interaction with the player. The archetypes also weren't all that different from eachother, just varying shades of dickishness, except for the black (pacifist) and orange (mercantile) player. I think the problem is threefold: the archetypes aren't strong enough (one strong would be better than a set of three small ones), there isn't enough diplomatic interaction between players (you either try to sign a treaty or issue a grievance) and the user experience deemphasizes actions that other empires take on you. For example, you will only get a tiny notification (one of many) when another player issues or retracts a grievance; that makes it impossible to understand their behaviour in context, unless you have been the one issuing a grievance in the first place.

I bought Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri on gog last year and this game has been holding up much better than I would have ever thought. Diplomacy, for once, is something it does really really well. Your interactions with the AIs are quick and pointed and.you get a really good feeling for the quirks of each leader and all of them will try to get you involved with their lifes by begging for money or proposing to attack their enemies. Santiago will always bully you into giving her stuff and will not hestitate to attack you at the slightest provocation. Lal is a needy bitch and you're never good enough for him. Deidre is the only one who actually tries to get along. All of them will constantly tell you why they hate you, and eachother. Its quite a blast, even after 22 years.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 26, 2021, 2:42:31 AM

AI is less challenging at the end of the game but reasonably challenging at the beginning. (Playing on Empire difficulty)

In city battles AI does not guard cities and leaves walls protection. If this was fixed the siege battles would be much more challenging. (No need to rush out of cities or attack cavalry near the walls, or in most cases do not make melee attack at all from behind the walls),

Archetypes mostly yes, I could gouge general AI behavior based on their traits.

Hard to say about serious mistakes the AI is reasonable but the longer the game progressed the bigger difference in economic power grew. What I found is that AI cities are underpopulated in the later stages not sure why since AI does build food production but it still does not work somehow.

Overall AI is much more competent compared to Lucy.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 26, 2021, 6:20:34 AM

Uważam że AI wymaga jeszcze dopracowania, twierdze tak bo po stoczeniu 2 bitew już może być mojim wasalem, a ja wtedy miałem 1 miasto i zniewoliłem ogromne imperium

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 26, 2021, 11:28:18 AM

AI issue: Huns (Vlad profile) settle far south of me.. but still declared war. They came and fight.. and lose. That´s great... I came just in time with mercenaries, barely defending my outpost.... Two more Huns armies still close by, roaming in the area... 

Everything great until here.

Suddenly, after winning the battle.. the war desire dropped below 0... And then I can force surrender! Not only that I could force a truce (which could make sense...).. but I was suddenly able to force Huns to became my vassal!

This is a nosense.. As mentioned before, They already had 2 more armies.. I was not even close to threat their cities/outpost.. Definitevely, they should had accepted become my vassal..

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 26, 2021, 11:28:38 AM

There is something wrong with the AI in victor in my opinion. Beyond the same complaint as in Lucy that they advance the moment they hit 7 stars, I've seen one of the AI rush to classical by turn 35, then start spamming armies of their EU by turn 40. Given the science cost of actually unlocking these techs, this is almost impossible for the player to actually do. You end up facing down Saṃnāhya and Hoplites with spearmen and archers. Not a fun time. It just makes whatever cheats the AI gets extremely obvious since, when you actually conquer their cities, they only have a handful of districts and minimal infrastructure.

Speaking of which, the AI has the same obsession as in lucy of spamming out armies of units. This keeps their city populations quite low and the double whammy of production being tied up by units plus the population loss from producing them means the AI consistently underdevelops cities. It's not as bad as Lucy, where I saw AI build literally nothing but military, but it is still glaring how underdeveloped they are compared to the player, even at the highest difficulties.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 26, 2021, 7:12:57 PM

In one game I noticed that one AI went crazy with garrison districts. It had roughly 20 of those in each city by the end of the game. Other AI's meanwhile had very underdeveloped cities.

But I liked that in every game I played on normal (or one above) difficulty, at least one AI performed reasonably well. Of course, not as good as a player who is abusing tech from holy sites and gold buyout. So I guess without such snowbally mechanics, the AI might be able to stay competitive in later eras.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 11:51:56 AM

I've played several humankind difficulty games now. 

• Does the AI play in a way that feels consistent with their Archetypes and Biases seen in the diplomacy screen?
I havent paid a lot of attention to this, they all seem to expand pretty similarly if they have free territories next to them. Traitorous AI has stayed with me in alliance the whole game, so I think the relationship bonuses overwrite it.

• How did the AI evolve throughout the game? Did it feel equally challenging at the start and end of your game? Does increasing the difficulty increase the challenge as much as you expect?
The difficulty gives some good fighting related bonuses to the AI but the economy side I cant really see in the graphs after the game.
The AI fails to build a strong foundation and just loses to my economy as early as ancient era in the graphs, depending on what I'm going for(industry/food/influence/science).
I think they should be smarter in building their economy or they need some stronger bonuses in the hard difficulties to help with it.
The AI also doesnt know how to properly defend against religion or culture.

• Does the AI commit any grave strategic missteps? What is the AI doing and what do you think it should do? (Please provide saves if you can.)
The biggest mistake the AI does in every game is that they dont pay attention to the cultural and religious spread or they dont do it enough. They should be following what's going on and trying to fight the spread in territories where they are losing to make it more interesting and harder for the player to take them over in culture and religion. Maybe something like: if nothing else is more important at the time, like war, this territory is converting in 8 turns, it has x amount of faith against x amount of faith, if we build more faith here it stops the spread.
Another task will be making the AI smart enough to actively spread their own religion with the same strategy.

Another mistake I can think of happens in the nomadic era, they advance as soon as they hit a goal. Which leaves them with lower population than the player every single time. The early AI then thinks the player is stronger than them, and is easier to make allies with. They should at least pursue 2 goals before they advance and be smart enough to spread their forces a little more to get more discoveries, maybe even smart enough to combine units with food values to create more people after that.

• How does the AI perform in battle? Does it make any obvious mistakes it should avoid? What would you have done in that situation? (Please provide a save if you can)
The animals dont necessarily behave like they should in battles in the early stages, they are all very aggressive which lets the player choose the location and terrain to fight them on. I think the docile animals should be docile in fights as well and prefer defending their position or moving away somewhere to flee. The aggressive ones like the bear, maybe wolves too in full game? could behave like they do now, attacking aggressively.

The human AI is fighting pretty smart in my opinion. If they are the attacker they have the rush to win before time runs out and they act accordingly trying to avoid bad terrain, that's working right I think. When they defend they hold the good terrain and stall for time which is very smart as well. So I dont think that has too many issues.
Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 2:49:40 PM
Bunniecake wrote:

The human AI is fighting pretty smart in my opinion. If they are the attacker they have the rush to win before time runs out and they act accordingly trying to avoid bad terrain, that's working right I think. When they defend they hold the good terrain and stall for time which is very smart as well. So I dont think that has too many issues.

I'm going to agree with you on the battle AI. Except for the animals, they do what they should do given what they have. Usually they are weaker than the human, so they're at a disadvantage because of that. But not because of their choices. I was having a huge headache fighting the Horde because their horse archers would run around to find the high spot and capture your flag if they could. They were not at all passive. In other battles if the AI knew it was going to lose, it would still take its last parting shot to kill one of my units instead of simply wounding a different one - which is what the player would do too (better to have one unit fully dead than leave 4 wounded to recover later).

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 3:41:27 PM
Dayvit78 wrote:
Except for the animals, they do what they should do given what they have. Usually they are weaker than the human, so they're at a disadvantage because of that. But not because of their choices.

With the animals I was thinking more about how the animals would act, the aggressive deer attacking a group of people is a little off from reality, they should be only running away. If mammoths are like elephants they could probably ignore us at first and then fight back, like defending/waiting in place and after attacked they start attacking the humans in the adjacent tiles as well. As they are now, you can wait on a higher ground and they come to u no matter what and attack.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 8:16:51 PM

EDIT: I played on Civilization Difficulty 

Does the AI play in a way that feels consistent with their Archetypes and Biases seen in the diplomacy screen?

While their behavior is certainly consistent with an archetype or bias, the AI do not differentiate themselves very well from eachother.  Sometimes I've gotten interesting behaviors out of the AI (I wardec Yellow and Brown decs me, then the next turn i lose a few units and Purple decs me too) but mostly it is extremely predictable and very samey.

How did the AI evolve throughout the game? Did it feel equally challenging at the start and end of your game? Does increasing the difficulty increase the challenge as much as you expect?

The AI just cheats more, which means I cheese more to win.  The only difficult part about the game right now is NOT picking mongols or huns to make things interesting.  The extreme advantages of terrain are very apparent and it is interesting to try and use them to defeat overwhelming odds.

Does the AI commit any grave strategic missteps? What is the AI doing and what do you think it should do? (Please provide saves if you can.)
I'll attach the save file and a screenshot to prove my point here, but I fought and won against every single empire in my latest playthrough, conquering Orange's Capital on turn 150. Pink was the Mongols at the time I began my catholic jihad against their people, and I expected one hell of a fight. As one does, Pink sent their entire army of almost fifty Horde into the deep north to try and deal with my recently vassalized "friend" Brown. They had a ton of trouble doing so, and by the end, they were winning fights left and right against Brown's mediocre defenses, but I had taken every city they had with my knights and longbows. In the image below, you will notice a giant army essentially occupying (by displacement) an entire neutral territory for whatever strange purpose they had in mind.

How does the AI perform in battle? Does it make any obvious mistakes it should avoid? What would you have done in that situation? (Please provide a save if you can)

Now we get to talk about my dear friend Yellow.  This man is exactly like a child who gets taught how to scholars mate in chess for the first time, and thats ALL HE DOES.  For Yellow, this means Persians all day, immortals all night.  I've counted almost thirty Immortals wandering the world in search of a city to sack from this AI child.  Yes, technically they are the best units for many turns, but without diversity of composition, the AI will be cheesed to death by people like me who know how to bottleneck, hide behind city walls, and blot out the sun with cheap, disposable Archers.  The War AI in particular feels like playing against this: Chess Metaphor
The battle AI isnt bad.  Obviously humans are better, but not by much.  It generally knows the right moves, although it likes to sacrifice units to achieve a faster victory, which I do not recommend.

I've attached a save file in the middle of the war with Pink, for your viewing pleasure. 

auto-save 1325.ctr

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 2, 2021, 2:56:37 PM

On Empire Difficulty: 

- AI has problems with defending cities. Usuualle not enough units in place to do so. Their armies are often too far away

- AI has problems with exploiting weaknesses, I've seen Hunnic Horse Archers which could have easily stomped my armies and cities were just roaming around. 

- AI sends armies at points where they are of no use, neither for offense, nor for defense. 

- AI civs do not ally themselves against a strong player. 

I would be much easier for AI if there were movement advantages within their territory. I.e. a road system which let them travel further than the player within their territory. Otherwise, it seems their units are often at the wrong place., 

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 2, 2021, 4:15:17 PM

The AI has been good at killing my units tactically, sometimes, more often than not though during field battles the ai does a good enough job of making combat interesting. But even on Humankind difficulty there are times when I have a low HP unit in range of an archer but they just don't get rid of it. The aggressive ais could also stand to be more aggressive since I found them rarely declaring actual war on me, just a lot of border skirmishes instead. Hell they wouldn't even raid me when we weren't at war. It's already been said how they have trouble with sieges and I agree with everything said there. They could also group their armies together more, it can get annoying having to run down every single retreating army of 1 horsemen. It's oddly more strategically viable and actually the right thing for the AI to do because of the way reinforcements work and you aren't really punished for spreading troops out, nor rewarded for putting them in a single army. However it's not as fun to deal with and can get annoying, also leads to the unfortunate effect of all these retreats draining war desire and winning the war for you without a fight.

Campaign map AI can actually be pretty decent when it comes to building and empire management. They can due being more efficient since I've noticed their cities can get a little underdeveloped but they do a good job of colonizing the land and city placement. The main issue is as others have mentioned, it advances eras too quickly, and that's true for all of the ai regardless of their personality. The game could really benefit from some sort of leash that encourages the AI to stay in the same era for a bit longer.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 2, 2021, 5:19:18 PM

It appears to me that the AI has a bit of a problem with deployment and understanding wether it's on attack or defense. It seems to prioritize unit attributes in a strange way. Example:

Sometimes I will engage in a fight with the AI that has only cav and ranged units. This in itself isn't an issue but the problem is that when I attack these armies the AI favors the charge bonus of the cav during deployment rather than protecting the ranged units. It will instead deploy the ranged units in front of the cav so that they have a tile to charge. This is fine if they are attacking and have time to move everything but they will do this on the defense and the archers will be mulched by melee units.

This happened multiple times to me and while I haven't paid attention to other setup problems with different army compositions it does seem like a potential problem 

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 3, 2021, 7:16:09 PM

The archetypes and biases seemed interesting, but for the most part I don't think the AI really "interacted" in a way to show much distinction between them.  I did see difference between some obviously positive and obviously negative attitudes, but for instance an empire which was "solemn" did not seem different from "jealous" in any way outside of flavor/visual cues on their avatar.  I'm hoping this will be more noticeable in the late game, since diplomacy usually skews towards later in these types of games.

Overall, AI seemed equally challenging throughout the game, and increasing the difficulty did not seem to change it much.  In reality, this may just be because as I increased the difficulty, I also got better at the game.

The AI feels like it is way too reactive and not proactive enough.  In terms of large-scale (non-battle specific) tactics, it seems completely predictable.  I didn't keep any appropriate saves unfortunately, but one example is they would never stick around to defend outposts.  I could often slip in a force to raid an outpost (even as it was building) even as the enemy had an equal strength force nearby.  Then when I begin my raid, they would just leave instead of pressing at all.  If I don't like where an enemy army is pre-battle, it was easy to lead them to a more disadvantageous position.  They didn't seem to attempt to raid or pressure me outside of wars and the very rare "happened to be in range and severely outclassed" situations.  They would often spread themselves thin, leaving their units open to being attacked separately.  I know a lot of this can be hard to program into an AI, but essentially they need to look beyond their most immediate surroundings and play a little more aggressively, at least at high difficulties.  I enjoyed being able to circle a mounted army the long way around to catch a smaller enemy I was chasing with infantry.  Doing so not only stopped their "retreat" but gave me the opportunity to control where I started the battle from while also having both armies join as reinforcements.  This is a more advanced tactic, but one I could exploit thanks to AI spreading their troops so thin they have no reinforcements.  If the AI could learn to at least group their units nearby to allow for reinforcements more often, I think that could lead to better battle outcomes for them.  Maybe even have them intentionally identify choke-points within their borders to defend from (or build on top of).  If nothing else, I want them to form larger, varied armies with reinforcements within arm's reach.

In battle, the AI is very poor.  In a separate post I've mentioned my love for battle mechanics, but the AI seem to have no concept of them.  They do seem to move their units uphill if it gives them an advantage on their IMMEDIATE attack, but they never seem to consider when they stop their units in a "dangerous" position (such as at the bottom of the hill).  They should prioritize higher ground even when not attacking, and they should actually attempt to defend their camp.  If they are outnumbered, try to identify choke-points and allow the enemy to initiate attacks (making it a war of attrition, where they could win by time running out).  I had one instance (wish I had the save on hand) where they ran to the bottom of a 3-step hill (2 downhills in a row), only to end their movement NEXT to the higher ground.  On top of that, this entire path was a choke-point and the middle step (which they ran AWAY from) was their base!.  This meant that I actually took their base and attacked them from high ground all in one step.  Had they lined up and tried to stand their ground, I may not have taken it in 3 turns.  Had they retreated to higher ground (which they had, away from base) they could lose the battle but save their troops.  Instead, they took the literal worst possible option and lost their base and units all at once (especially because where they ended their movement actually allowed me to slip additional troops through my first one to engage, ALL with high ground).  In short, they feel like they only take notice of advantageous ground immediately when attacking, and do not even consider defense, much less 1 or 2 turns ahead.  Also, they tend to spread their attacks out instead of focusing on weak units, which allows me to keep most units with at least 1 health.

I have many good things to say about this game, but the AI is not one of them.  Thankfully, I understand that as mechanics change, AI must change.  So, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming that AI improvements will come as the mechanics become more solid.  I am optimistic about this, and I am looking forward to the next opendev!

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 3, 2021, 8:08:52 PM

Before I give my thoughts on AI difficulty, I want to give background on the type of player I am when it comes to difficulty. Generally when I play games I desire challenging gameplay, but only to a certain extent, I'm usually don't try to complete the highest most difficult challenges like other player. When it comes to 4x games specifically, I desire a more casual laid back experience that still has challenge but only to a certain extent.

I regards to the AI difficulty in this OpenDev, overall I liked this AI, it's definitely an improvement over Lucy OpenDev. I have criticisms for it, but I found that some of my criticisms and desires for the AI would be solved at higher difficulties. I mostly played on Nation difficulty and I got in half of a playthrough on Empire difficulty before the OpenDev ended. Those criticisms were that the AI didn't attack enough and that they were not as competitive when it comes to religion. The AI aggressiveness was much better on Nation and Empire, and their religion competitiveness became better on Empire difficulty.

My main criticism that I still have is that the AI is most difficult early game, but they aren't as competitive or difficult mid to late game. Around the mid to late game, the AI just doesn't seem to snowball the same way that I can. Early game is the most stressful as the AI in this OpenDev seemed to have consistently gotten a better luckier head start. Ohkwhaho in particular always seemed to enter the Ancient Era with 4 fame stars, and first culture pick. Early game also seems to be where the AI is most aggressive, slowing my early game growth. Their aggression falls off mid game, but that also could have been because I had vassalized some of the AI opponents. I find that early game the AI can surpass me by at most 1500 fame points, but by mid to late game I can surpass them by at most 3000 fame points. It'd be nice if that gap were smaller and instead of a 3000 point lead I had around a 500 to 1000 point lead.  

I haven't really noticed if the AI was playing to their biases, it was hard to observe if that was happening. From my experience the main driver for AI behavior was their current feelings toward me, and diplomatic grievances.

As for the AI in combat, the AI is pretty good in my experience. They are taking the high ground more often as well as going to flaking bonuses. The weirdest tactical misstep I've experienced from the AI was when an Assyrian army comprised of entirely cavalry attacked my city and rushed it without making any siege weapons. Since cavalry can no longer cross walls, they basically could only run around the walls with nothing to do. It was very odd.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 4, 2021, 11:50:34 AM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

Very rarely.

I think difficulty is sufficient fore now.

It probably should ask for truce sooner, if it loses or starts to see war as unfavorable strategy.

Somehow it doesn't take advantage of high ground on normal and hard difficulty.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message