Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Apr 22, 2021, 10:50:45 AM

Hey everyone!

In the Lucy OpenDev, we had implemented a first set of changes to religion in Humankind to address some of the feedback we had gotten from the Stadia OpenDev. These changes were primarily focused on how to unlock Holy Sites and adopt a named historic religion, with some changes to tenets as some older tenets had become deprecated by the changes.

For the Victor OpenDev, we have focused more on changes to the tenets themselves. We have rebalanced many of them, as well as moved some powerful tenets to higher tiers to make them more difficult to access.

Please let us know what you think about religion in the Victor OpenDev!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 4:31:21 AM

I think we should be allowed to start with any tenet/historical religion we want rather than being limited to polytheism/shamanism as a major point of the game us creating your own civilization so you should get to start even that aspect your way. Additionally on a historical level not all civilizations' religions began in this way.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 10:45:23 AM

So far I haven't seen the AI do religion at all.

My religion (with only 1 holy site) slowly took over the entire initial continent with about 4 other civs there.

Seeing that, I didn't build any religious buildings or events and just let it by itself - it maxed out about 40 turns before the end.

About the religious civics. I'm afraid to make a decision on the irrreligious one since I'm not clear on the outcome of either side. I remember in the previous open-dev, it made me an atheist society after which there was nothing I could do about religion.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 2:43:53 PM

I agree with goldenfalcon123, unless there's something that's determining which religious choice you're getting? (I think I was offered monotheism/shamanism). If there is a reason, great... make it clear what you can do to influence to get one choice or another. If there's no reason, it'd be better to pick than just randomly be assigned two to pick from.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 3:08:08 PM

@goldenfalcon123 @RyanAstoria83 

Thanks for the feedback, but to avoid any potential misunderstanding, let me ask for clarity: You are referring specifically to the initial "First founding" event popup, and would like to see the historic religions that are available when choosing a tenet to be present in this event as well?

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 3:17:28 PM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

@goldenfalcon123 @RyanAstoria83 

Thanks for the feedback, but to avoid any potential misunderstanding, let me ask for clarity: You are referring specifically to the initial "First founding" event popup, and would like to see the historic religions that are available when choosing a tenet to be present in this event as well?

Yes, the first founding event. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 3:59:48 PM

The Irreligion choice is misleading - State Atheism clearly tells you "All religious Civics are locked and invested Civic points are reimbursed", but choosing Secularism also locks all religion for you, which is both inconsistent (especially if State Atheism explicitly warns me I would expect Secularism to do so too if this happens) and not really logical, as your civ would still have religious people and that religion would have traits, right?

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 4:17:17 PM

Agreed with the misleading choice with Irreligion. The changes done to religion look nice to me. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 4:30:11 PM
In my opinion, religion is still really boring and bland, I don't feel like I am doing something valuable or important, Its just numbers for more numbers without interesting mechanics, lore, or visuals.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 5:34:20 PM

I’m sure I’m just missing something, but what influences when you get to pick your religion? 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 5:54:39 PM

Religion feels a bit... ehm, bare bones?
It doesn't feel like religion, it feels like a tiny buff you get by spreading it through out the world :/
It needs more flare, more... well thematic interaction.
Let us design things, more interactions due to our religion.
Choices for how holy sites look.
Maybe choices that impact the events.
More things like that to really flesh it out.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 6:54:47 PM

I chose polytheism but I don't know what it provided me as opposed to shamanism, I guess it was written on the religion choice screen but I forgot it. In the end, I made everyone accept my religion as their state religion and all other religions went pretty much extinct. I didn't understand what I earned from this success. I may say they liked me a little because I am the leader of their religion but that didn't make them love me with my aggressive playstyle. On top of that, they also adapted my cool perks like extra military power, which was supposed to give me an edge. So, I don't know if I did anything good or bad by forcing my religion on them through greviences.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 6:58:04 PM

agree on most post i read, religion lack substance, i even forgot i had a religion in one instance, hopefuly the popup remind me everytime i have one xD, but also i think we should have an indication on the cities showing us what religion is dominant on the city. you have  a lot of popup to check every turn, having to check in the religion panel every turn if a city have been converted to an other is redondant

i didn't really feel like an evolution, tenets is just like choosing what additional yields you want.

event concerning the religion where here but have little to no consequences(mostly no consequences), maybe the open dev is too short to experience them?

i didn't really catch what is the purpose of religion in game? i didn't spot any fame bonus by having a religion and since every one have one, i guess by converting the others will give you a boost? but how much is it worth?

i guess we will see more later as religion is not the main focus of this opendev(if i read correctly) , but from what i saw religion is something that need to be flesh out

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 1:24:21 AM

Yeah I agree with the others, I've gotten through two playthroughs so far and in both of them religion felt more like an variant of the civics system than its own thing. It's certainly strong enough if you pick your tenets right, but it doesn't feel like it has its own flavor.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 10:55:45 AM

I think the bones of the system are good, this is just one of those things that needs more content. More tenets with more unique effects (other than just raw FIMSI), more visual options, more religious buildings or districts, etc. Just stuff that is a reasonably interesting decision, with a lot more flavor to help the immersion not be numbers on a screen. Having a more granular religion creation system with more fundamental mechanical changes could go a long way, but I'm not sure how much of a priority it is at this point.

Regarding strength, I've been doing Holy Site buff combos and they seem pretty nuts if you can get the Holy Site wonders as well. But that is also a big investment, so it might be fair. I haven't tried the territory based boosts yet so can't compare, but it's definitely feels worth investing into Holy Sites since they can fix other issues in your empire, whatever those issues may be. Very useful for basically any culture build.

I will say the AI doesn't really seem to interact very well with religion, so it's very easy to get whatever tenets you want and to spread like crazy without trying, at least on standard difficulty. That could get boring if it happens every game in the full release as well, but of course that might be a problem solved with the difficulty setting as well.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 11:52:02 AM

There's a tenet which gives you science per pop following your religion on all holy sites. I think it's much stronger than intended: I got +500 science, just from a handful of holy sites.

Also I agree that religion feels very passive. It's mainly a way to get to build powerful holy sites districts (they are much stronger than cultural wonders).

Speaking of holy sites, I don't like that they are so insanely strong regardless of their placement. I'd like them to be adjacency dependend. This would also allow you to replace things like the +1 science per pop tenent with more interesting +1 of X per adjacent desert/mountain/type Y district/etc. which also fixes the balancing issue as you can only ever have a max of 6 adjacent tiles. Furthermore, the tenets could then be much more situational, depending on your terrain. Also agree, unique effects could be more interesting than having religion be a pure source of fims.

I too find it weird that religions aren't linked to fame in some way.

And I hate to say it, but the CIV approach of actively spreading your religion makes it so that you're far more attached to it. You don't necessarily need religious units on the map, but some more player influence on how it spreads. Now religion is just a system on a different UI that will occasionally ask you to choose a tenet and allows you to build holy sites. I'd also agree that maybe the religion of a city should be displayed a bit more prominently. You could also introduce customization for icon/name, that's probably what the generic casual player cares most about anyways.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 12:31:59 PM

I think, especially compared to normal civics, which are mostly straight bonuses you choose between, religion should be tradeoffs, should have a cost. For example, there's a tenet that gives industry which is named "refrain from intoxicants" - why doesn't that turn off some luxuries (wine etc.), so that I lose stability on my empire but give a stronger bonus in return? Frankly, there's almost no decision in this game that has negative consequences besides not getting the other bonus, and the one that does (irreligion) doesn't really tell you.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 4:16:18 PM

Religion feels weird. First of all the AI is not a challenge when it comes to religion. You just spam wonders and Holy sites and you'll never have any problems spreading your religion. I like the passive spreading, but the information about how and why your religion spreads is not obvious enough.

Next, the boni. They are just bland and don't feel like "religious" boni at all. Given how inflated all FISM values get (and are right from the start) the religious boni are either underwhelming or at best "nice to have".

Starting at tier 1:
FISM from holy sites. 10 Food or Industry are insignificant even at the start of the game. Science and Money are more interesting, given the changes to Main Plaza exploitation. But all of those boni become irrelevant pretty fast. Same with Money or Science from territories. Stability and Influence are the only things really worth looking at.

Tier 2:

All of those boni only affect your capital, making it useless for a wide playstyle. Also the 5 stability per follower trait is super OP, essentially letting the city ignore stability for the rest of the game.

Tier 3:

Overall nice boni, it's the first time that the "strength" of your religion matters. The thing is, at the point you get those boni, flat money and science isn't worth much anymore. Influence, Stability and % boni are nice though, although the term "coreligionist" does not make clear, what is meant here.

Tier 4:

The ultimate Religion bonus. And it's... something? Religious conversion is okay I guess, but does not seem useful in any way. +3 holy sites gives more of the same boni and +2 combat Strenght is probably the best bonus here and the only time religion touches on warfare.

Suggestions: Make the holy site once per territory and tie the boni to the followers. Remove the cap on holy sites. Meaning only territories with holy sites get boni, but those boni scale with your religion. The tier 1 bonus should not have an economic impact, but only have an impact on how religion spreads (maybe a bonus that lets your military spread religion?). Tier 2 boni could interact with ressources, buffing some of them while forbidding others. Tier 3 gives boni to all territories with holy sites in them, scaling with the amount of followers your religion has. And tier could amplify you fame gain in some way or unlock special diplomatic interactions (crusades?) and maybe unlock specific civics? Overall, please offer a direct militaristic option in each tier. Also wouldn't it be nice to have a religion, that gives more boni the more different religions are present in your cities?

One more thing: the current model where your religion develops the more follower you have heavily favours Agrarian cultures. Also it feels kinda weird that your religion is something that just grows without you doing anything. The impact of faith is not visible enough, it often makes no difference if I generate 10 or 100 faith.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 4:48:10 PM

Kind of related to civics, but is secularism really worth it - I clicked it and it mainly disabled the religious aspect of the game entirely. I guess that's what to expect from secularism, but a) I feel that makes it a very bad choice in every sitation and b) you should warn the player a lot more if you keep it in the game.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 5:14:34 AM

The Religion system has a nice set of framework, but at the end of the day the entire system is just an easy way of getting more FIMS yields, with nearly no trade off (the tenets doesn't have an influence on science or ideological axis or anything) and very little investment (build a couple of Holy Sites and Wonders in time and AI cannot really challenge your religion).

If the whole religion and tenet system can interact with more other game mechanics besides just giving yields and bonuses - for instance, science advancements gradually overcome religious pressure, or reduce the stability bonus of religion? - then it would be much better.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message