Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

[ES2] GDD 9 - Narration

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Sep 1, 2016, 8:01:17 AM

I'm still hoping for a "playback" similar to what Civ4 offered, showing how the empires spread across the map, taking note of when colonies where founded, wonders built, wars declared or ended, maybe even notable battles.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 26, 2016, 1:04:53 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:
Graphics are the most labor-intensive part of a game by quite a significant margin... smiley: biggrin

But as an avid ES player I agree with you on principle, I'd love all these things too! But my colleagues doing the planets would probably try to poison my drinks or something.

You're young , you're strong.. you'll recover. So.. doooooo eeeeet!!!!
0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 26, 2016, 1:06:16 PM
Believe me you don't want my scribbles anywhere near the game. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 27, 2016, 3:16:01 AM
Frogsquadron wrote:
Graphics are the most labor-intensive part of a game by quite a significant margin... smiley: biggrin

But as an avid ES player I agree with you on principle, I'd love all these things too! But my colleagues doing the planets would probably try to poison my drinks or something.

I think that i believe pyruvat and bilirubin is a probable antidot for styrol but it makes that you get wings, and para ectoplasm makes Pinchers maybe i recommend me heavenly that i shouldn´t defraud to be a doctor. One Zoidberg is enough. :-D
0Send private message
8 years ago
Mar 1, 2016, 9:59:24 PM
Load bearing quests. Maybe even quests that result in civil wars that split empires in half or worse (Warring states type situation).
0Send private message
8 years ago
Mar 9, 2016, 10:16:46 AM
I'm very happy to hear that events and quests will now involve more splitting branches. If I understood the GDD correctly, even the faction main quests will have a few branches.

However, I do agree with the others that rewards should probably be randomized from a themed (and potentially "leveled") pool. I might even considered using a themed pool for the quest tasks. For example, a Sophon quest about science generation could ask you to discover two new techs, to produce more than 500 science for 5 turns, to bring a city to a science output of 300 for 5 turns, or to bring several cities to a science production of 100 for 5 turns. That way, players would learn roughly what to expect of quests, but they wouldn't know the specific tasks, which would improve replayability by preventing a "standard build order" for the quest.
0Send private message
8 years ago
May 23, 2016, 4:44:46 PM
Head cannon that every new game is a new big bang, like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure type stuff... so all the games are connected, but forever looping
0Send private message
8 years ago
May 23, 2016, 5:07:11 PM
But yeah, slight variations to the overarching story of the factions would be a nice change, because it began to get a bit draining playing though the "same" missions while playing through the story of EL, Art and such wouldn't need to be changed much, just choosing different methods to complete the mission,

say the mission is saying you factions need to grow, one game it might suggest conquer a new world, another it might say increase food production, another might be to target a particular planet, or to increase the population of a planet to a certain amount.

Creative thinking to get around wording... being the main thing was Grow, creating a selection of mission scenarios that relate to it, so the system can choose from a selection, and it half forces the player to change styles or consider options.

That being said they would stay in the lines of the Factions lore, you wouldn't want the Game forcing the pacifist race to destroy X number of ships of its ailed Faction
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 1, 2016, 6:35:15 AM

What this makes me think of is the anticlimactic way games can end. For me, at least. You may spend hundreds of turns carefully building your empire up, and then when the game finally ends, you get a little congratulatory victory message, and it let's you decide to keep playing or get dumped at the results screen. A nice, brief epilogue with some original artwork or something would be nice, at least. Especially if you lose. Have a few sentences about how your civilization was overrun and devoured by Cravers, or how your people were forced to submit to the sheer economical power of their neighbors, and it wouldn't be quite as disapointing an end.

Might be an odd request, but it doesn't seem too difficult, and it would give a better sense of closure to the grand history of your empire. Or something like that. And while it is more about the journey than the destination etc, it would be a nice payoff for everything you've spent the last several hours doing.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 26, 2016, 11:12:37 AM
razielreaper wrote:
If it isnt too much of a bother

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 1, 2016, 10:57:07 AM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

I'm still hoping for a "playback" similar to what Civ4 offered, showing how the empires spread across the map, taking note of when colonies where founded, wonders built, wars declared or ended, maybe even notable battles.

God I would love that.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 3, 2016, 8:15:07 PM

That would be awesome. I remember Total War would leave monuments on the map at the site of a particularly notable battle. Wasn't sure how it was decided, but it was a cool feature. Would love to see something along the lines you suggest.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 12, 2016, 1:49:37 PM

VieuxChat: some heroes could obtain the trait “nemesis” and share quests/events in order to develop their relationship. We could also go for pre-written stories revealed during specific quests and launch them when the two heroes are unlocked by players. 

I don't know what "VieuxChat" is supposed to mean but this reminds me somewhat to the elevator in Dungeon of the Endless. And I would like that.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 14, 2016, 8:55:17 PM
monkeynaut wrote:

VieuxChat: some heroes could obtain the trait “nemesis” and share quests/events in order to develop their relationship. We could also go for pre-written stories revealed during specific quests and launch them when the two heroes are unlocked by players. 

I don't know what "VieuxChat" is supposed to mean but this reminds me somewhat to the elevator in Dungeon of the Endless. And I would like that.

Pretty sure VieuxChat is just the name of someone in the VIP program and not a gameplay concept

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 22, 2016, 9:10:51 PM
Silver2238 wrote:

What this makes me think of is the anticlimactic way games can end. For me, at least. You may spend hundreds of turns carefully building your empire up, and then when the game finally ends, you get a little congratulatory victory message, and it let's you decide to keep playing or get dumped at the results screen. A nice, brief epilogue with some original artwork or something would be nice, at least. Especially if you lose. Have a few sentences about how your civilization was overrun and devoured by Cravers, or how your people were forced to submit to the sheer economical power of their neighbors, and it wouldn't be quite as disapointing an end.

Might be an odd request, but it doesn't seem too difficult, and it would give a better sense of closure to the grand history of your empire. Or something like that. And while it is more about the journey than the destination etc, it would be a nice payoff for everything you've spent the last several hours doing.

Yeah, more of it ! Amplitude, implement that stuff !!  

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 23, 2016, 3:34:37 PM

Yeah I agree a playback feature at the end like in Civ would be awesome.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 26, 2016, 7:52:47 AM
Silver2238 wrote:

A better option than that would be to have the galaxy change dynamically due to the progression along certain quests. To take the example of Alpha Centauri, Planet became much more ecologically active the further you pursued the transcendence storyline, and this was reflected in the increasing urgency of the flavour text and stuff. One of my problems with Endless Legend is how the flavour text for your quests would talk about how the planet's ecology was permanently ruined or how all the other factions were ready to bend their knee to you when that wasn't necessarily the case ingame at all.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 11, 2016, 11:04:13 PM
This is pretty interesting. I think quests are super time-consuming and a bit complex to create, but I also think they're really, really fun.

A modding tool would be great because then you could get to a point where there were so many quests that you might not see some of the quests for 7-8 playthroughs (or more).

But overall, I really love this aspect of the game.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 10, 2016, 5:51:02 PM
Very interesting stuff there. I really enjoy the idea of competitive quests and teaming with allies to maybe get less of a reward (if they succeed) compared to a person who did it solo gaining a greater reward.

The idea of Narration will definitely be an additional aspect of the game that I will look forward too, and honesty would like to see a lot of. It will make each game unique each play through!
0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 10, 2016, 6:48:24 PM
Transcendental Quests, Traits, Items, and Lore:

They are like bits which transcend one specific gameplay. Imagine that in one game the player conquers the galaxy. In the next game, the empire of the previous game vanished and the player starts over. But the player finds hints and derelicts of its previous playthrough. Those could give different endings to an existing quest, whchich would be locked the first time quest is played.

Let me coin the term QUEST KEYS. Achieving a key is unlocking the start condition or progressing a quest to the next step. Transcendental keys remain on their state across multiple playthroughs.

The game would have certain settings, flip-flop states for certain conditions, which comprise those keys. When a new game is created, the state of all transcendental keys is used to set up the starting conditions of the game and which quests/branches will be out-of-reach.

Once one or more of those keys are unlocked, they are saved to the global game settings. While unlocking these keys won't affect the current game - the starting conditions cannot be changed - they will be in a different state if the player starts a new game, allowing for more options.

Some of those are progress-based and once turned on, they unlock more possibilities for all future games.

E.g.: Achievements. Each achievement equals to acquiring a key.

The faction quest can have one or more locked branches. The first time the player wins via faction quest, it will have a storyline. The second time, it will have additional options, because the game starts with teh achievement already unlocked. This makes for an opportunity to give more value for repeated playthroughs.

Other can flip back and forth between two states on each playthrough - if the player chooses differently each time - or remain at the same condition every time.

One Endless Wonder may be changed between two states during the gameplay. Depending on the state it is evolved to (e.g. militaristic or diplomatic) it will leave a different starting condition in the next game.

An anomaly, event or wonder may have a result of having one hero of any faction to be frozen in stasis and removed from the game (details would be inside the quest). That same hero may be rescued from stasis by a quest with level, skills and all items in a a subsequent game.

Some quests could be specifically designed to be unsolvable in the first playthrough, requiring the player to leave a hint for itself. Only if the player flips the right bits the quest would become fully solvable in a future playthrough.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message