Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

The Combat System & How to Improve It

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 4:56:49 PM

See, a 3x3 "grid" order system would improve things if you had discrete orders within that grid, and there was a wide enough vocabulary of options on a per order basis. I'll give a quick conceptual layout of how a potential mid game battle layout would look -

3 Flotillas - Flotilla "A" - Sniper config with lots of Torpedoes, Flotilla "B" - Laser+gun boat with shields, Flotilla "C" - Defensive ships with guns

Phase 1 (Long) - Flotilla A - Hold Distance (Gains 20% damage to modules on any ship hit) , Flotilla B - Hook left (Gains 20% damage to Flotilla B and C), Flotilla C - Screen (Gains +50% Flak Defence from guns)

Phase 2 (Medium) - Flotilla A - Drift (Gains 20% evasion against lasers and missiles), Flotilla B - Flank left (Gains 40% damage to Flotilla B and C, takes additional 20% damage from flotilla B and C), Flotilla C - Blockade (Redirects 33% of incoming fire from all flotillas, takes 10% less damage overall)

Phase 3 (Short) - Flotilla A - Evade (Gains 33% evasion against all fire, rate of fire reduced by 20%), Flotilla B - Cross (+15% damage to flotilla A and C), Flotilla C - All in (+50% to weapons damage, +33% to damage received)

These completed multi-phase order setups could be saved in a "playbook" for custom fleets and then used for specific fleet comps, but the idea that I'm driving at should be clear, this would allow for a much wider degree of expression in the planning phase, and allow for a much greater degree of customisation and tuning before the battle begins, as well as more dynamic outcomes during the battles themselves.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2016, 10:08:56 AM

I agree with the most ideas here, but why isn't this thread in the "game design" part of the forum?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2016, 2:42:11 AM
Bracus wrote:

There are already roles for ships. 1 def and 1 att ship from the small and med classes. For the def ships you can put more def and sup modules on them.

Yeah but all that really does is change the layout and possibly the ship hull buffs. What he's suggesting is that they have unique targeting priorities. Though if that was automated that would be not so good, put that with automated flotilla distribution and the like and you'd have a real mess of a system where you'd have to constantly micromanage your fleets.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 15, 2016, 6:28:31 PM

There are already roles for ships. 1 def and 1 att ship from the small and med classes. For the def ships you can put more def and sup modules on them.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 15, 2016, 3:31:47 AM

I mean, most counter systems are going to seem like RPS, are they not? But I propose taking this from a different angle.

Rather then having the weapons define a ships purpose, you could have a ships purpose tag define what it's role is suppose to be on the battlefield.

So the current ship listing is:

2 small ships, 2 medium ships and 1 large ship.

Now I don't own the early access, so I can't speak to their currently designated roles but I'm guessing they aren't very distinctive.

What we could have:

Large ship: Space superiority

Attacks the enemies largest ships first.

Medium ship 1: Counter artillery

Attacks the enemies most damaging ships first.

Medium ship 2: Guardian

Attacks any ship that attacks other ships in it's flotilla.

Small ship 1: Flak screen

Attacks any ship that attacks with missiles and fighters, shooting down craft and missiles as it goes.

Small ship 2: Bomber

Attacks the enemies with the most defence first.

This is a basic system, and more of an adaptation of the current set up but it could be the idea of a system where ship roles are determined by the ships themselves, letting the player modify this role by equipping them with a number of weapons.

I'll try to come up with somthing more comprehensive a little later.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 15, 2016, 1:08:56 AM

To that I'm going to say, it's not too late, people need to fill this thread with thoughts, ideas, commentary and votes, this needs to be the place where everyone makes their voice heard on where the combat system could go. Where it needs to go. If we're going to get Amplitude to listen to reason on this one, putting our heads together and coming up with useful ideas and suggestions here would be a great start.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 12:40:09 PM

I wish I had seen this thread sooner and that it had more attention given to it. There are a lot of excelent ideeas here for creating an actual decent and strategicaly satisfying combat system that still demands minimal to no micro from the player. Shame really that the lastest dev post made it obvious they are sticking to their oversimpliefied rock paper scissors countering system with no real input from the player. Alas, perhaps it's not too late for things to change? Because the curent combat system suffers greatly.

And to tulip: we have autoresolve for multy player scenarios, and we have a deeep combat system for single player. There has to be something for the single player that fills in the void the presence of other living players and the greater focus on overall campaign and backstabing create compared to the multy player component.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 10:49:57 PM
mezmorki wrote:
vahouth wrote:

My suggestions to improve the combat system are:

• Choice of battlefield especially for the attacker.
  • Different plans for each group in the fleet, not a single one for all (for example group A is medium range, group B is sniper, group C is short range). 
  • The player should be able to assign ships in each group, or divide groups based on range of engagement, role etc.
  • Manual fleet placement mainly when we have more than 1 fleet group.
  • Manual placement of reinforcements (rear or flanks of the enemy), as well as time of deployment. 
  • Battle plans for reinforcements (sniper, hammer & anvil etc).

Pretty close to my suggestions - all of this would be great.

I'd love the idea for multiple fleets in the same system being able to become reinforcements so that we actually get big large battles with more than 10 ships on a side.  

Add that to my idea concerning ship maneuver orders and we'd get to a point where Ship Micro would be pretty decent. These ideas definitely would add a great deal. For choice of battlefield, an extra button what offers a set of three visual choices to the attacker along with some minor buffs / debuffs as to what they'd be fighting in would be pretty much ideal.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 1:58:04 PM

I have actually on multiple occasions cared more about the card bonus than the optimizations, but its usually when I expect to have to fight more than one battle and am looking for the "heal my ships after battle" card

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 1:19:03 PM
vahouth wrote:

• Different plans for each group in the fleet, not a single one for all (for example group A is medium range, group B is sniper, group C is short range). 
  • The player should be able to assign ships in each group, or divide groups based on range of engagement, role etc.
  • Manual placement of reinforcements (rear or flanks of the enemy), as well as time of deployment. 

Pretty close to my suggestions - all of this would be great.

I'd love the idea for multiple fleets in the same system being able to become reinforcements so that we actually get big large battles with more than 10 ships on a side.  

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 11:57:29 AM

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 10:44:13 AM
Stalker0 wrote:

As the OP mentioned, I think a key issue is that the range decision right now is not a decision at all. You always want your ships to engage at their optimal range, regardless of the secondary bonus of the card. So I think that is the wrong decision. I think the decision should be similar to Lo_fabre's idea, but even simpler: 

1) Hold Back: All ships stay together at the longest optimal range for some of the ships.

2) Optimal Range: All ships move to their optimal ranges and stay there as best they can.

3) Charge In: All ships stay together and move towards short range.

Now since Optimal Range is likely the best tactic in general, you could then give the other tactics some secondary benefit....or simply make that one more tactical choice the player selects.

Not a problem to me, but not sure if everyone will be comfortable with this 3 choices system (look what's happening with actual system).

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 12, 2016, 7:54:47 PM

The idea I'm driving at would preserve Ampltude's stated goal of keeping "In fight choices" off table (which seems to be their stated design intent), but at the same time drastically improving the battlespace vocabulary and restoring complexity to Ship Micro, being able to then -save- those plays that are working for your fleet comps means you then have a ready to go setup which you can "attach" to fleets so you don't have to go fumbling through a whole bunch of saved plays, if you've set up a fleet "just so", you plug in the appropriate play that best suits that fleet, and then off it goes. If the opponent -counters- it, then you can revise it and update your orders accordingly.

Very late edit : "Early, mid-fight, late-fight" would probably be better nomenclature, and would make more sense. /agrees with mezmorki

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 12, 2016, 12:45:28 PM

Lots of good ideas all, thanks for the comments.

I agree that a full blown Dominions's style combat is overkill - and that wasn't what I was advocating for.  Something closer to Gratuitous Space Battles makes a bit more sense to me.  

Given that, according to the GDD, combat is already structured around three phases, I like what Hobbesian is working towards (now that I understand it better).  Essentially, the are three phases and three movement orders to assign to each phase.  Rather than call them "short, medium, long", I'd simply call them "Early, Mid, and Late" stage, or "Opening, Middle, Closure" phase or something like that.  This would really help. 

Then maybe the bonuses could likewise be attached as a second layer to the phase orders.  

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 5:59:24 PM

Obviously there are lots of opinions on the direction that combat is taking (or not taking) in ES2.

I want to provide some suggestions (and open the door for others) that would help improve the existing combat model.  In other words, suggestions that work with the general spirit and design intent of the orders based combat system.  Here we go:

Statement of understanding (i.e. how the system currently works):

1. The existing combat model is intended to be quick to resolve (unless you want to watch the cinematic) , allowing the focus and pacing of the game to remain at the strategic level (hence no detailed turn-based combat)
  2. Player input is limited to pre-battle planning where you assign orders to your ships, which they then will follow.  Different orders essentially relate to different engagement distances, and are coupled with various bonuses as well.
  3. Large fleets are automatically broken down into separate flotillas, which follow the same overall order.

Problems & Criticisms with the system given the above intent:

1. A pre-battle planning system (orders based) has the potential to be quite interesting.  It has been done well in other games (Starbase Orion, Dominions, etc.).  The advantage of the systems is that it keeps combat resolution quick but still relies on player input and (ideally) player skill.
  2. The problem with the current system is that the orders options you have is basically a non-choice.  There is technically "player input" but it amounts to choosing obvious engagement range to maximize your effectiveness (which the game even tells you).  It's just not a very interesting decision at all.
  3. Since you can only issue one order to the entire fleet, you don't have much incentive to make interesting fleet compositions that could take advantage of different orders.  This in turn makes ship design and customization a lot less interesting than it otherwise might be.  Which is a shame given all the attention put into those systems.

Specific Suggestions & Improvements to the ORDERS system

1. Manual Flotillas - Allow players to assign ships in their fleet to flotillas manually.  You can set a minimum number of ships per flotilla if you want (e.g. 2 or 3) or just leave it all open.
  2. Flotilla-level Orders - Players should be able to assign orders to each flotilla instead of having to assign orders to the entire fleet.  This would allow you, for example, to have one flotilla of long-range support ships that stay at long range, while other ships could engage up close.
  3. Separate Movement & Bonus Orders - Instead of the order card combining movement with a bonus (e.g. +20% accuracy or something), separate the two.  Each flotilla would be given its own movement path order (engage close range, maintain long-range, intercept, etc).  Then each flotilla could also be given its own bonus order (e.g. speed boost, draw fire / screen, brace for impact, boost damage/accuracy, etc).  This would make things a lot more interesting right off.
  4. Target Priority Order - Add a third order option so that each flotilla can be given a priority target.  This target can be a specific ship, all ships of a given name/class, or more generic orders like "target closest" or "target weakest" or "target biggest."  Something to help it out.

I think the above changes would retain the spirit and intent of the approach while giving players more flexibility and opportunity to use some skill in the game.  They would not only have more to consider in terms of their own ship orders, but also thinking about the likely orders of their opponent's ships and how they might break down into flotillas.  It makes it more of a tense and interesting experience, because instead of there being only two factors to consider (my fleet and the enemy fleet's one single order), there are more complex relationships and synergies to contemplate. FWIW - Starbase Orion has a detailed ship-by-ship orders based system and it works exceptionally well and fits with the multiplayer capabilities/focus of the game as well.

Suggestions to the Battle Viewer & Results Viewer

1. The manual camera controls are awful.  The need to be much quicker to move around the battle.  Scroll wheel should be used for moving in the Z-axis.
  2. Instead of the nearly useless "scan" view that only works when you are looking at a ship up close, simply have a panel on either side of the screen listing your ships and your opponents ships with their current status, health/shields, firing status, etc. clearly displayed.  
  3. Have a toggle for displaying damage indicators (floating over the ships and on the panels) so you can see what damage ships are taking.
  4. Have a breakdown down the battle and as part of the battle report how much damage each ship took (by weapon type) and how much damage it dealt (by weapon type).  This would actually provide some useful feedback for players to adjust their ship designs and/or orders in subsequent battles.

I think that's it for now.  Please let me know what you think or if you have other ideas.

Cheers,

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 4:30:57 PM
tulip wrote:

I can't speak to Starbase Orion, but I can to Dominions, and a competitive turn of Dominions can take as long as a competitive match of Endless Legend. Dominions' scripting and spell system are so arcane that individual battles can involve hours of scripting. I do not think that a Dominions level complexity is in keeping with Amplitude's vision for any of its games, which are all designed at a deep level to be limited and tight. Endless Legend has a more complex vocabulary of tactics than its main competitor (Civilization), but much less so than Dominions. Dungeon of the Endless has a much more complex vocabulary than, say, DoomRL, but much less so than NetHack or Angband. Contra the name, Endless games are designed to end on a scale that fits into a busy person's life (after all, the Endless are the fools of the series). 

All that said, ES2's system is currently much too simple. Even a simple EL-looking map interface where you manually place blocking ships and whatnot would be a massive improvement, or even a return to Disharmony's card-pick system. Such design must be made with attention to the player's budgets of time and brainpower.

I do think OP's insights about the camera and feedback system are spot-on. Currently I feel like i have no idea which parts of my fleets are working well and which parts are mistakes.

I don't think anyone is advocating this game needs the level of complexity or the sort of micro-management hell dominions becomes at some point. I just think dominions (if you disregard the complete insanity of the magic system) is a good example of how some basic orders for our flotillas could be added to the current system to create more satisfying battles. It's also a good example of how you can have tactical depth, and a reason to watch a battle occasionally even in a combat system that doesn't allow you to directly influence the battle.

I'm not actually opposed to what we have now at all, but I would be lying if I said I thought it added much to the game. Having the ability to auto-resolve without being heavily penalized for it means I already prefer it to the combat in EL. I didn't like it for the same reasons you outlined; it took your attention away from other tasks, and it put you at a large disadvantage if you auto-resolved them. I generally believe that things outside combat should be just as, or more important than your own tactical aptitude in a true 4X game. Not to mention it interrupts the flow of the game (it doesn't help it's just not really that interesting anyways). 

We already know we are getting more "Battle Plays", I'm just concerned there isn't really a way for them to make this very compelling with the current three phase system with one "play" for all flotillas, even if they let us manually assign ships to them. I don't see how currently these plans can get any more complex than telling each of the flotillas which of these three phases of battle to park in. There is very limited number of possible shapes and plans, and which one you should pick would be so obvious as to almost render the choice itself superfluous.

The camera system as it is right now gives very little info, but they will be adding more to it, the most useful probably being the overview camera we don't have access to currently.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 4:03:08 PM
Ideally I would like combat to be somewhat to the extent of what Gratuitous space battles do. You do basic placement, and give the basic orders, and that is it. Rest is in the hands of RNGeus. Perhaps with the added twist that you are allowed to do a new order once every phase to compensate for any mistake or trick you might have up your sleve. 

This would also make heroes more worthwhile. They could have unique tactics or options they can do with a fleet... would make battles more interresting, and have some visible impact rather than just buff stats. 

As it is now it is basically just rock paper scissors and the guy with the better tech wins. No choice you make or amount of crew xp you have over your enemies really matter. This makes for boring repetitive gameplay that does not offer anything. I really do think this is sad considering the fact that the visuals are really quite beautiful to watch. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 3:29:45 PM

I agree with the poster.  Manual floatillas and floatilla- Level orders (including movement) would create a lot of more strategic space. The other suggestions are good as well but really the two first is in my opinion important changes that would increase by large amounts the strategic options.  

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 12:03:37 PM

Even with the camera system working, the fact that the battle system offers so little vocabulary for expression in the battle space means that there's no point actually -watching- the battle, you're better off simulating it and then parsing (when that becomes available) the data. If they want to make the actual viewable combat meaningful they -need- to increase the complexity of language that's offered in the battlespace, which means improving Ship Micro massively.

Either that or disposing of Ship Micro altogether and focusing on Empire Macro, but they need to make their decision now.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 7:47:59 AM

Let's think about attention and time budgeting.  By "attention budget" i mean that a person's mental capacity and focus is limited and should be directed towards what the vision of the writer/director/designer views as the core and most interesting parts of the experience i.e. we can only do so much. By "time budget" I refer to the proper time expenditure of actually sitting through the designed experience i.e. we only have so much time.

A significant strength of Endless Legend in its current iteration is that my friends and I can fire up an MP game on fast and credibly complete it in one sitting, two if we want to call it an early night. However, this is only really possible if we generally agree on not manually fighting out the majority of battles. Even with EL's relatively cut down 6 phase TBT system, each manual combat resolution justifies a minor break for all non-involved players, and constitutes a minor frustration just by occurring. You can see that not only does manual combat resolution interfere with our time budgetting, it also interferes with our attention budgeting, because attention spent on tactics is attention not spent on critical tasks like making sure the building and technology queues match up, that our diplomacy is being engaged, that our timing on empire plans work, etc.

I can't speak to Starbase Orion, but I can to Dominions, and a competitive turn of Dominions can take as long as a competitive match of Endless Legend. Dominions' scripting and spell system are so arcane that individual battles can involve hours of scripting. I do not think that a Dominions level complexity is in keeping with Amplitude's vision for any of its games, which are all designed at a deep level to be limited and tight. Endless Legend has a more complex vocabulary of tactics than its main competitor (Civilization), but much less so than Dominions. Dungeon of the Endless has a much more complex vocabulary than, say, DoomRL, but much less so than NetHack or Angband. Contra the name, Endless games are designed to end on a scale that fits into a busy person's life (after all, the Endless are the fools of the series). 

All that said, ES2's system is currently much too simple. Even a simple EL-looking map interface where you manually place blocking ships and whatnot would be a massive improvement, or even a return to Disharmony's card-pick system. Such design must be made with attention to the player's budgets of time and brainpower.

I do think OP's insights about the camera and feedback system are spot-on. Currently I feel like i have no idea which parts of my fleets are working well and which parts are mistakes.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message