Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

4K scaling and other exotic resolutions

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 9:11:11 AM

Default progressive tooltip delay, in my opinion, are by default set way too high...

Why you guys wants to hide all these superb artworks behind a 2s delay ?
I was exploring the science tree saying "woo ! haaa !!" for minutes before I found that option :)

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 5, 2017, 3:43:47 PM
Nasarog wrote:

Very cool. I hope people stop grumbling about this now.

Someone doesn't know how to internet.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 29, 2017, 8:41:17 AM

Thank you for the heads-up.

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 28, 2017, 9:05:08 AM

Endless Legend's development has mostly wrapped up as we strive to deliver the final push to Endless Space 2, so barring major issues, Endless Legend is unlikely to receive further updates at this time.

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 12:03:46 PM

Actually, i find it easier to memorize all the techs, upgrades and etc. by their images. They are color coded, so image is the first thing i'm trying to look at when I'm searching one element or another. Not the name nor effects.

This is a good option, I'm just not sure it needs to be on by default.

This will sound crazy, but maybe add 4th option that works in reverse - to show art, name and lore description, then all the rest after delay?

Update: yeah, seeing people think it's a bug, instead of a feature, makes me dislike progressive option even more

http://steamcommunity.com/app/392110/discussions/0/135512305404251142/

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 11:08:46 AM
Kweel_Nakashyn wrote:

Default progressive tooltip delay, in my opinion, are by default set way too high...

I was exploring the science tree saying "woo ! haaa !!" for minutes before I found that option :)

The progressive tooltip was set up for accessibility reasons. Even though we love the lore and images we put on each element of the game, the tooltips can have a tendancy to "flood" the user with too much information. So we added this option to simplify them, especially for new users. The speed is set to 2.0 secs by default, but I tend to agree it *feels*  more.  I will look into it.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 9:29:56 AM
AmpliMath wrote:
mixerria wrote:

Awwwww, thank you very much! :)

In any case... The tech tree is now worse for 4K-Users. xD (It was perfectly sized to be kept zoomed in the old mode for large resolutions), but in any case I don't want to bitch about it. Thanks for listening to even only a few users, really appreciate it. :)

You can obtain the same result as before : just select HD (1920x1080) for the user interface size.

As for 4K users using the upscale now, it is better than before if you want to have a UI in proportion of your screen resolution. Before that, the only option was to run you 4K monitor/TV in 1920x1080, resulting in an ugly hardware upscale (I had tried it on our 4K TV screen). Now at least fonts and geometric UI is sharp in 4K, and the upscaled bitmaps are not as bad that in 1920x1080 upscaled in 4K.

I'm aware of that, though, all other parts of the UI will also be on the lower scale... (It's really only about the scaling of the tech tree)

In any case, I've settled for a .7 scale. (thanks for adding a slider option! :) ) That way, the screen seems not so "full" like with a scale of 1, as well as the bitmaps are not so blurry.

Kweel_Nakashyn wrote:

+1 to this.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 3:32:54 PM

Hi all,  

As you may have heard, Update 3 will include a new UI upscaling feature. We know you have requested this for a long time, and we said it was not possible. Well, technology progresses every day!

What happened is that we wanted to explore including Asian characters to make the game available to new players. Our previous dual-resolution UI (1280x720 and 1920x1080) was no longer working, because it was not possible to store 2500 Asian characters in our texture Atlas. So one of our 3D programmers developed a dynamic character rendering system. Instead of pre-storing bitmaps of each character glyph when launching the game, we generate those on the fly. This obviously has paved the way to displaying font glyphs of any size.   

You can check the following image of the technology screen, which was grabbed in 4K resolution. You can see that the text is sharp (make sure you zoom to the natural size of the image), as well as the geometric shapes (lines / arcs / disks). Bitmap icons appear a bit blurry though, as they are upscaled. We will see in the future if we can replace some of them with a vector-based icon, which adapts to all resolutions, but we cannot guarantee it as it involves a lot of work compared to the switch of the fonts system.   

What does this mean for you? You will find a new setting in the UI options menu. This droplist allows you to run the game with an UI which is either: 

• Adaptive: the UI will scale based on your resolution size 
  • Custom: same as above, but you can apply a custom factor to scale down the UI to a fraction of your screen resolution 
  • SD: the UI will have a size corresponding to a 1280x720 resolution 
  • HD: the UI will have a size corresponding to a 1920x1080 resolution. No effect if your game resolution is below 1920x1080  

The custom scale is still “beta” and you may experience badly placed items in the UI, due to rounding errors.. We will fix those, but meanwhile, try to nudge the scale up or down to fix this.   

Thanks, and we hope you like it!

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 8:52:49 AM
Sublustris wrote:

I'm still shocked Unity does not provide built-in solution to this date... Impressive work there, guys, good job!

Actually Unity provides a UI solution, which we tested at the start of ES2, but we prefered continuing with our own internal UI solution. At least we control everything in our own solution, and we can for instance change the text rendering system.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 8:50:26 AM
Nasarog wrote:
DevildogFF wrote:
Nasarog wrote:

HAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHA. Doubtful. 

:D

I know, someone will come up with 5k and 10k and 53.7k resolution...

It will work : the font can render (theoretically) in any resolution. 

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 8:49:35 AM
mixerria wrote:

In any case... The tech tree is now worse for 4K-Users. xD (It was perfectly sized to be kept zoomed in the old mode for large resolutions), but in any case I don't want to bitch about it. Thanks for listening to even only a few users, really appreciate it. :)

You can obtain the same result as before : just select HD (1920x1080) for the user interface size.

As for 4K users using the upscale now, it is better than before if you want to have a UI in proportion of your screen resolution. Before that, the only option was to run you 4K monitor/TV in 1920x1080, resulting in an ugly hardware upscale (I had tried it on our 4K TV screen). Now at least fonts and geometric UI is sharp in 4K, and the upscaled bitmaps are not as bad that in 1920x1080 upscaled in 4K.

So to me the situation is equal or better than before.

Cheers,

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 8:29:35 PM
DevildogFF wrote:
Nasarog wrote:

:D

I know, someone will come up with 5k and 10k and 53.7k resolution...

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 8:19:05 PM

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 7:32:09 PM

I'm still shocked Unity does not provide built-in solution to this date... Impressive work there, guys, good job!

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 7:05:21 PM
Nasarog wrote:

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message