Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

[1.0.36] Release Notes [PREVIEW]

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 1:28:52 PM

So my point is next:

1. Decreased colony cap is extremly bad for game;

2. 300% increased tier 1 resource cost for tier 2 colony development is also very bad for game. 

3. Two of above mentioned changes turn game into city building simulator where wars are pointless (at least on huge maps, but even on smaller you'll hit the system cap extremly fast).

4. Also AI's aren't targetting me on Endless difficulty at all becouse they're all at system cap...

Changes i mentioned make no sence at all. Imo the best way to increase average game length is reworking victory conditions for economic/science/wonder victories, since they're too easy to achieve compared to one that require serious warfare.  

1. It's not. Plan your colonisation better and research better, and it's quite simple to go over the cap.
2. It's not, it makes resources, and resource diversity more valuable. Your choices over which resources to use and whether you sell them are now more meaningful. There are plenty of ways to increase your luxury input (Slug and Sludge, buying on the market, hero abilities, political laws, option settings)
3. How many games on Endless have you won without going to war? I can think of one in my experience, and that was a couple of patches ago (and I lucked out with the local AI's). War = more systems = more FIDSI, and FIDSI is how you win the game.
4. Lumeris, UE, and Cravers will all put pressure on you, and declare war on you early in the game, even if it means topping their system cap, if your military is weaker than theirs. The AI on Endless already gets a pretty huge approval bonus which equates to getting extra systems, and it's fairly easy to go over your system cap with the right buildings, luxuries, and careful colonisation. I'm assuming no one wants a game where it's decided in the first 30 turns by who gets to colonise the most systems. The cap is good.

I'll agree that the economic victory condition needs a tweak (too easy to reach). But all of these changes are good, as they present meaningful obstacles that need to be overcome if you want to be successful. This is a 4X empire management game, not just a war game, after all. Your criticisms were hyperbolic.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 13, 2017, 1:04:19 PM

It would be nice too have some sort of A.I. aggresiveness slider before starting a new game. :)

p.s. I also have the impression that the A.I. builds far less ships compared to previous versions. It's not necessarily a problem as far as they are better and more efficient. Maybe i have to play more but the A.I. seems to be still very choppy and odd...

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 13, 2017, 1:59:44 PM

Two undocumented features:

Unfallen vines now take 20 turns to complete (instead of 10). This feels really quite harsh! Even if it's balanced, it's not much fun. If you don't have a colonizable world next to your home system, it will be 40 turns until you have your first colony up!

Population luxury boosts now double their FIDSI bonuses.  This is pretty cool; I'm happy to secure small amounts of all resources for their use on populations, even if I'm not using the for system developments.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 13, 2017, 4:45:38 PM

Just played a game where I used the transvine luxury resource to boost my happiness and I'm fairly certain it did not work. I was at 39%, (8 pop), and after I had upgraded my system with the transvine I was still at 39%.
Oh and also the event bumper crop, (Not sure of the name, but the one that gives +2 on strategic resources), says it will buff the religious even though it buffs the industrial opinion.

Otherwise I'm absolutely loving the changes to happiness. It used to be that I almost didn't have to pay any attention to it what so ever, but now it's more of a (fun) puzzle to make my people happy!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 13, 2017, 6:42:37 PM
K9kki wrote:

Just played a game where I used the transvine luxury resource to boost my happiness and I'm fairly certain it did not work. I was at 39%, (8 pop), and after I had upgraded my system with the transvine I was still at 39%

Can you isolate and post a save game showing this? Please do postit on the bug forum, so the devs can fix it.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 13, 2017, 9:20:10 PM
Dragar wrote:
K9kki wrote:

Just played a game where I used the transvine luxury resource to boost my happiness and I'm fairly certain it did not work. I was at 39%, (8 pop), and after I had upgraded my system with the transvine I was still at 39%

Can you isolate and post a save game showing this? Please do postit on the bug forum, so the devs can fix it.

If you can explain what you mean by isolate I'm sure I can!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 13, 2017, 10:09:43 PM

Overall game slowed quite a bit and it's not bad, but few things are turning game into "end-turn" simulator for dozens of turns:

1) You've reduced colonization threshhold too much (9 systems with techs on huge map) and there's zero initiative to take systems from neighbours;

2) 120 luxury / tier 2 upgrade is simply brutal, would be nice to hear reazoning behind it. 

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 13, 2017, 10:55:58 PM

2) 120 luxury / tier 2 upgrade is simply brutal, would be nice to hear reazoning behind it. 

It's much less than that with a tier 2 luxury resource. 

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 13, 2017, 11:59:42 PM

The AI may need some tweaking in terms of fleet building. In my current game, the Vodyani has a CP cap of 6 (mine is 7 but I'm Horatio so they technically have the advantage). They declared war on me but I've mostly been on the defensive. 

That's what they sent to a hostile system that they've clashed with my fleet in before. Two small ships and a hero in separate fleets. I'm thinking that should not be happening.

My save is included.

Horatio War Vodyani.sav

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 12:02:46 AM
Slashman wrote:

The AI may need some tweaking in terms of fleet building. In my current game, the Vodyani has a CP cap of 6 (mine is 7 but I'm Horatio so they technically have the advantage). They declared war on me but I've mostly been on the defensive. 

That's what they sent to a hostile system that they've clashed with my fleet in before. Two small ships and a hero in separate fleets. I'm thinking that should not be happening.

My save is included.

Horatio War Vodyani.sav

That's weird. In my game, the UE "hulksmashed" my empire into pieces.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 1:48:24 AM
Nasarog wrote:

That's weird. In my game, the UE "hulksmashed" my empire into pieces.

Well that's why I included the save. There may be a good reason for this that I can't see. They currently have at least 3 systems from what I can tell. In past games they have been pretty consistent in fielding fleets. 

I'll play a bit more and see what happens and check in tomorrow.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 7:52:52 AM
Dragar wrote:

I know, but here comes a number of problems from two points i mentioned in original post:

1) Since base colony number is decreased to 6 (9 with techs) your chances of finding tier 2 luxury resources in your core systems isn't that great. For a matter of a fact i've found zero (standart luxury settings).

2) Tier 2 aren't always better then tier 1, for example i'm in the middle of Horatio playthrough now. My 4 planet system without terraforming is at the 28 population count, so using jardonix (4 industry / pop) grants 112 industry in total, and that's better then 100 industry from tier 2 resource. Also it'll get only better after i terraform planets to top tier fertile. 

3) Such a crazy amount of luxuries needed for tier 2 upgrade screws market trade: by turn 70 (standart speed) buying 120 jardonix (i thought it'll be enough for 3 system upgrades at previous rate 40 / upgrade) costed me ~6000 dust, that's all i had at this point and to upgrade one more system i'll need to wait another 7-8 turns.

4)  Even if we think of scenario where i have all the dust in the world, market supply by turn 70 is only ~300 jardonix, so even if i buy it all i'll be able to upgrade mere 2 systems.

So by turn 70 my situation is next: i'm already at the colony system cap so going war with my neighbours is completly pointless (i'm in peace with lumeris and sophons). My colonies have zero tier 2 resources so i use tier 1 resources for tier 2 upgrade and process takes around 7-8 turns / colony depending on jardonix supply. To expand further i need to reach tier 3 colony development but... i can't even develop all my colonies to tier 2 and with a miserable amount of colonies i have (becouse of decreased cap) i might not find tier 3 resources needed for colony development. 

So atm i'm stuck in "end-turn" cycle becouse of nothing to do exept for waiting for new techs and looking on game dynamics i won't be surprised to end game with science victory before i'll be able to expand further. 

So my point is next:

2. 300% increased tier 1 resource cost for tier 2 colony development is also very bad for game. 

3. Two of above mentioned changes turn game into city building simulator where wars are pointless (at least on huge maps, but even on smaller you'll hit the system cap extremly fast).

4. Also AI's aren't targetting me on Endless difficulty at all becouse they're all at system cap...

Changes i mentioned make no sence at all. Imo the best way to increase average game length is reworking victory conditions for economic/science/wonder victories, since they're too easy to achieve compared to one that require serious warfare.  

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 9:13:42 AM

I welcome all the overcolonization cap changes and colony upgrade requirements. Makes careful expansion planning more important, reduces amount of wars early, you can't go wide early on with any race now.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 10:35:48 AM
Crizis wrote:
Dragar wrote:

I know, but here comes a number of problems from two points i mentioned in original post:

To address you points one at a time:

1) I think this is either unfortunate, or you've been indiscriminate in your colonization efforts. The number of resources has certainly been reduced (I think they need to tweak the settings to add a few more higher level luxury resource deposits to the map). But it's close to right, providing you plan a bit.

2) The example you provide is an edge case (most systems updgrading to tier 2 will not have 25 population for much of the game, which will end in less than 50 turns). But you are right that not all tier 2 resources will tie into your gameplan. If you have sufficient tier 1 resources, you can focus your extraction efforts on those, but this takes additioanl investment - either way, having to make a hard choice seems a good thing.

3+4) Markets have never been a source of luxuries - prior to this patch you could never really source sufficient quantities from the market alone. The market is only to supplment existing (or soon to be existing, via conquest or colonization) empire owned system development resources.  Usually the problem is supply on the market, not price, though, as you come to. 

Higher level luxury resources are available much earlier than before, due to moving the anamoly search tech down an era. As you've noticed, finding and settling luxury worlds is a priority now. That needs to be part of your strategy from the start, assuming you aren't using other methods to boost happiness to allow further colonization (which is still doable, but harder).

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 1:11:52 PM

Well the Vodyani are still sending single ship "fleets" to assault my worlds. They switched to medium hulls but sent one support ship and then an attacker ship separately. 

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 13, 2017, 12:46:14 PM

Hi,

I'm on turn 203 and playing on hard i'm a bit disappointed of how the A.I. plays it's part...

- A.I. (riftborn) bulds fleets with ridicuously few movement points

- A.I. reacts very slowly when i'm conquiring all of it's system One by one (as for me it needs to be improved)

- A.I. sometimes builds strange ship designs (very few firepower)

- A.I still escapes too often from battles while having good ships

I have a save game for you (in attachment)

please have a look! Maybe I'm missing something

sofiki_203.sav

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 2:35:35 PM
WeLoveYou wrote:

No need! Found it! Screen resolution is 1680x1050, but I play at 1280x800 (for reasons).

Edit: I fixed it by switching to my native resolution. 

Ah.  I have see this too.  My screen is at 1920x1080.  As you found, the game settings must not be matching my native screen resolution.  Will check later.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 3:00:59 PM
K9kki wrote:
If you can explain what you mean by isolate I'm sure I can!

I have seen the bug in the right section. We will take it from here, thanks!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 4:02:38 PM

I like the colonization cap and all other changes in this preview patch. This may be a bit tangential, but I decided to chime in because...

WeLoveYou wrote:
3. How many games on Endless have you won without going to war?

The vast majority of my Endless difficulty games in fact, though this was the case even before the current patch changes and still persists. The AI isn't nearly aggressive enough diplomacy wise, and even when it does start getting rowdy it's very easy to bribe the AI on the first turn of the war with a combination of strategic and luxury resources since they're always overvalued in trade deals even if the AI could easily wipe you out entirely. The new Force Peace mechanic sticky law of Pacifist senate also instantly turns Aggressive AIs (who are in Cold War with you) that announce they're going to attack soon instantly into Cordial status. Doesn't matter if you're dealing with Cravers or United Empire or whatever.

Even if it wasn't the case, the AI may get resource bonuses that help it in early game, but it doesn't seem intelligent enough to optimize its systems in late game (not by my current experiences at least), meaning that a player can easily outdo the AI in the long run for any non-militaristic victory condition without having to wage war in order to slow them down. So the the player doesn't really have any particular reason to attack the AI either, though doing so no doubt would win you the game slightly earlier due to increased FIDSI like you mentioned.

Point is that AI aggressiveness is easily side-stepped with small bribes during war or force peace during cold war (or regular peace with bribes) and the player themselves isn't roped into waging war trying to slow down runaway AIs either. No need to dabble in the military branch of the tech tree at all. Hopefully this is something that gets fixed in future patches or the AI modding closed beta.

Example Lumeris game in case of saves being needed: Before Force Peace with UE. 

You can also try declaring war on UE and instantly sue peace with a handful of resources as well.

Lumeris Before Force Peace.sav

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 14, 2017, 6:33:05 PM
WeLoveYou wrote:

So my point is next:

1. It's not. Plan your colonisation better and research better, and it's quite simple to go over the cap.
2. It's not, it makes resources, and resource diversity more valuable. Your choices over which resources to use and whether you sell them are now more meaningful. There are plenty of ways to increase your luxury input (Slug and Sludge, buying on the market, hero abilities, political laws, option settings)
3. How many games on Endless have you won without going to war? I can think of one in my experience, and that was a couple of patches ago (and I lucked out with the local AI's). War = more systems = more FIDSI, and FIDSI is how you win the game.
4. Lumeris, UE, and Cravers will all put pressure on you, and declare war on you early in the game, even if it means topping their system cap, if your military is weaker than theirs. The AI on Endless already gets a pretty huge approval bonus which equates to getting extra systems, and it's fairly easy to go over your system cap with the right buildings, luxuries, and careful colonisation. I'm assuming no one wants a game where it's decided in the first 30 turns by who gets to colonise the most systems. The cap is good.

I'll agree that the economic victory condition needs a tweak (too easy to reach). But all of these changes are good, as they present meaningful obstacles that need to be overcome if you want to be successful. This is a 4X empire management game, not just a war game, after all. Your criticisms were hyperbolic.

1. I'm well informed at how to go over the colony cap - most games i've ended with 20+ colonies (when cap was 14 systems), but to go over colony cap you need + approval laws, buildings etc.  And generating extra approval to support 5-6 colonies over the cap is way past midgame. 

2. There're no choices - i've either found tier 2 resources in my colony space or not. If i didn't i have to either use for tier 2 systems improvement same resources i've used for tier 1 system improvement or buy stuff on the market. At the rate of 120 resources / upgrade it's nearly improssible to use marketplace for system development. Also AI's are nearly never selling tier 2 resources (probably becouse tech needed for it is low on their priority list).  I'll even say more - changes reduced the number of choices you have since marketplace can't reliably support system development anymore.

3. I've won quite a few games on Endless difficulty without ever going to war. For a matter of a fact it's extremly easy to do so since you can bribe any AI (exept cravers) to peace, then spam end-turn till scientific victory...

4. I'm pretty positive that most colonies Ai ever had (again Endless difficuly) was only 4 above cap (prior to patch), in my current game (test patch) nearby lumeris colonized 10 systems and is sticking with them even though  there're few free systems around. Also the same lumeris isn't even looking at me becouse... they can't support more colonies (i also can't support their colonies in case of war so we have no choice exept for being good neighbours). 

My point is next: developers introduced new feature that removes system from your cap maximum and that theoreticly always you to conquer wholle universe (that's a great change!), but it comes extremly late (i'd say that by the time it'll affect your game most likely you'll be only a dozen of turns away from victory). Meanwhille for majority of game you're stack with extremly small system cap (and even that require 4th era tech). So going to war now is counteproductive becouse you'll always have 9 systems to colonize (if not you'll generally wage a war over mere couple systems to hit a cap or slightly above). Worth to mention again - i'm talking about huge map size.

Prior to patch my gameplan was always the same (exept cases when i tried something else for RP reasons) - clear nearby AI to be able to hit colony cap. Now i'm hitting it without war and pressing end turn wholle game. By the time i'll be able to support colonies over the cap my infuence buble will reach sophons and i'll take their colonies for free. 

If we're playing 4X game then what's the point of changes that almost cut 2X (expand and exterminate) from the game?

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message