Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

The History of Humans in the Endless Franchise

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Sep 16, 2019, 7:47:11 PM

So ...

I played Awakening for the first time today and tested the Nakalim a little bit. When I returned to the main menu, I was very confused and my brain stopped working for a moment. What I was looking at was a familiar shape on the Nakalim home planet in the background. I watched as Indonesia floated by, then India, then Africa and then surprisingly an out of place South America. When my brain finally started working again I came to the conclusion that we just have found the origin of humans in the Endless universe. 

I didn't like that answer though, because: 

1. I don't like the Nakalim that much and
  2. I am not that happy about Earth being a part of this universe.

But, oh well, what I want is irrelevant. We now have at least the opportunity to create a timeline for Humankind in the Endless universe.

I have not completed the Nakalim quest yet, so I might have missed some things here. However, this is what I came up with for now:

EDIT: I am asuming here that the Nakalim are humans and that Sobra really is a version of Earth. That may not be the case.

1. humans appear on Earth
  2. the Lost Sobra comes to Earth and offers the humans technology in exchange for deity status
  3. the humans rename Earth to Sobra
  4. the Endless come and slay Sobra, but do not have enough time or motivation to wipe out the humans/Nakalim
  5. the Endless eradicate each other and the Nakalim Empire rises in the empty galaxy filled with Endless technology
  6. The Nakalim Empire starts to die, because they have no idea what they are doing
  7. The Nakalim leadership decides that it would be best to return to Sobra and hibernate until the Lost come back, because they are completely pathetic without them
  8. Some humans survive without hibernation, by actually thinking for themselves and understanding some of the crucial technologies of the Endless and Lost - from these people rises the Mezari Empire
  9. The Mezari maintain a space nation for a while, until they begin to fall apart into different groups: the Mezari on Raia become the United Empire. A Mezari space ship crashlands on Auriga and from the crew descend the Vaulters and Forgotten. And a crazy Mezari trillionaire finds very special Endless technology and begins his quest to beautify the galaxy.
  10. Auriga becomes an icey tomb, the Vaulters escape, the United Empire and Horatio become major players in the galaxy and the Nakalim get awoken by Isyander

THE END

There are some questions left, however: 

1. where do the other human factions on Auriga come from? (Roving Clans, Ardent Mages, Dorgeshi, Sisters of Mercy and maybe the Delvers) Are they descendands from the stranded Mezari? Are they other descendands of the Nakalim? Have their ancestors been abducted by the Endless, when they attacked Sobra, and experimented on, like so many other creatures from Auriga?
  2. what is the actual origin of humans? Are they some sort of Endless relation or creation or did they really just evolve on Sobra on their own? (The reason I ask myself this, is that I think the Endless look a bit too human for it to be a coincidence)

What do you guys think?

Does any of this make sense? 

Is Amplitude just trolling us? 

Am I an insane person? 

Did the fact that I am not a native english speaker make this post entierly unreadable?

I am interested in your thoughts :)

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 16, 2019, 9:10:31 PM

Until Jeff Spock says Earth is part of the Endless Universe, Earth is not part of the Endless Universe. So no matter how many theories are out there, it just isn't as a fact of the canon. 

The planet Sobra has many similar textures to Earth, however, it is not the same planet. 

There's no confirmed direct connection between the Mezari peoples and the Nakalim peoples. They could be cousin species (similar to the Hissho and Yuusho) but until it is otherwise stated by the DEVs, they are not the same species. As with many of the Humanoid species in the game (especially those that bear a great deal of resemblance to Earth's Homo-Sapiens), many happen to be offshoots of other species and so with this in mind, it is likely that neither the Nakalim nor the Mezari were the first "human-looking humanoids" within the Endless Universe. 

As for your questions;

1. The various human-like factions on Auriga are descendants of both the Concrete Endless and the many different Mezari colonization efforts that occurred on the planet. Some are also the product of human experimentation (the Forgotten) and others are the result of cross-species breeding (some Vaulters and Sisters of Mercy). You can find more information in the EL Artbook. None have been stated to be the ancestors of the Nakalim due to the latter not existing (wasn't created) when EL came out. 

2. There is no official statement regarding the origin of the human-like humanoids present within the Endless Universe. 

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 16, 2019, 10:00:21 PM
Suis3i wrote:

Until Jeff Spock says Earth is part of the Endless Universe, Earth is not part of the Endless Universe. So no matter how many theories are out there, it just isn't as a fact of the canon. 

The planet Sobra has many similar textures to Earth, however, it is not the same planet. 

Ok, I get that we don't know for sure, if Sobra is Earth. But do we know for sure that it isn't? Did Jeff say at some point that Earth is not part of his universe or something like that? I don't know.

There's no confirmed direct connection between the Mezari peoples and the Nakalim peoples.

Huh, I guess the Nakalim were never called actual humans yet, weren't they...

Well I hope there is at least some connection there, because, if not, the Nakalim make no sense to me :(

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 16, 2019, 10:36:18 PM

There was a post about this I saw yesterday about this same topic that quoted the developers several times saying that the Endless Universe is not supposed to be an alternate version of ours, they are completely separate.

0Send private message
0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 17, 2019, 11:41:36 AM
Picrasso wrote:

Until proven otherwise I'm going with placeholder art. 

Well it's not because the ingame drawn art has that planet too.In the new reality I think the topic theory is pretty good.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 17, 2019, 12:50:58 PM

I think artist(s) who draw the planet simply had no idea Earth can't be in Endless Universe. Maybe they tried to create field for speculations, without being aware there can't be one.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 18, 2019, 10:21:46 PM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

Relevant to this discussion: The texture and art of Sobra will change in an upcoming patch.

Oh, interesting! So it either was a joke that will be removed or it stays and all that get's fixed is the second Indonesia in the Atlantic...

OR it will be changed in a way that gives us more clues about what the actual deal with this planet is. 

Very exciting, thanks for letting us know.

I guess I will let this topic rest for now, until that patch drops :)

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 19, 2019, 7:56:30 AM

Or they forgot to rectroactively enable "Mezan" path for Nakalim in Celestial Worlds.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 19, 2019, 8:36:04 AM

Let's hope for the best - that they aren't hypocrites and cheap ones at that. Their homeworld is being changed, you know?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 19, 2019, 9:09:10 AM

When I get the chance, I'll see with Slowhands if there was a lore reason for them not being able to discover Mezan, or if this was just an oversight.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 19, 2019, 11:07:54 AM

Well, change everything that Slowhands said before then

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/endless-space-2/forums/65-general/threads/34687-dehumanize-nakalim-they-appearence-is-a-mistake-solid-sources-and-proofs-proposals?page=1#post-287739 

Further proofs:

Slowhands about humans in space:

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/endless-space-2/forums/65-general/threads/33285-attempt-to-trace-the-history-and-timeline-of-the-united-empire?page=1#post-279803

Slowhands wrote:

(...)  Officially, the Endless Universe is what is referrred to as a "Second World" setting; Earth does not exist in the timeline.(...)

- The Mezari civilization has been around a long time (though not as old as the Endless), but its history is full of erratic ups and downs (civil war, invasion, over-expansion, etc.) so it never gained the power of the Endless. (...)

and 

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/endless-space-2/forums/76-creations/threads/33206-my-mspaint-lore-chart-of-humans#post-279368

Slowhands wrote:

Okay, here we go with a few clarifications:

(...)
The Mezari are the root of all spacefaring humanoid races in the galaxy. I use "spacefaring" to distinguish them from those native to Auriga (ed. mine - that are speculated to be Endless-derivative)

(...)
 - To clarify the Mezan / Raian question:

The ancestral origin of all spacefaring ES2 humanoid races is indeed Mezan. However, there were several major exoduses... exodusses... exodi... whatever. The Vaulters were part of an earlier one, and the UE part of a later one.(...)

So there you have it - logically, if Mezan is the homeworld, and Sobra is the homeworld of Nakalim (as is stated expicitly in Awakening) - there's no relation. 

If Vaulters are the early goers, and they changed so-little through ages of genetic research and constant struggle, Nakalim would not change - when they are scientifically illiterate and there's no struggle in their evolution.

Their not only similarity to Mezari ie humans, but full-on human appearance is just cheap and/or an oversight that bids removing.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Feb 18, 2020, 9:04:02 PM

To be fair it'd be nice to see a more, well, inhuman approach to the Nakalim given that they are supposed to be a different species. Honestly if they just give them a third eye and pointy ears and call it a day I'd be up for it. Also, good catch on so many species havinf breasts on their females. 8 have to admit it's a bit weird, especially on the Lumeris 

0Send private message
4 years ago
Feb 18, 2020, 9:48:43 PM

Why is it weird on Lumeris? I never got this. Who told you they cant be mammals?

0Send private message
4 years ago
Feb 19, 2020, 9:44:00 AM
mamarider wrote:

Why is it weird on Lumeris? I never got this. Who told you they cant be mammals?

Oh they totally can, but they were described as amphibian so I couldn't understand why they don't have actual amphibian features. Boobs look weird on them but I don't mind. I think the Sophons having boobs is definitely weirder ;D 

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Feb 28, 2020, 11:54:16 PM
dobyk wrote:
mamarider wrote:

Oh they totally can, but they were described as amphibian so I couldn't understand why they don't have actual amphibian features. Boobs look weird on them but I don't mind. I think the Sophons having boobs is definitely weirder ;D 

I think they  look ok ;)

0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 14, 2020, 6:51:27 AM

I'd just like to remind everyone that there was at least one case of Earthlings teleporting to Auriga.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 14, 2020, 9:38:20 AM
Orbotosh wrote:

I'd just like to remind everyone that there was at least one case of Earthlings teleporting to Auriga.

wut

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message