Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

ES2 Community Patch Beta

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
May 12, 2023, 1:00:56 PM

Hello everyone!

A few months ago at Amplified, we briefly mentioned that we were working with some community members on creating one more patch for Endless Space 2, with the goal of addressing some common bugs as well as working on balance and some of the less popular features to create a better game experience.

Our first gameplay changes will focus on the Nakalim and the Academy, but as we are still finalizing the design of these changes, they are not ready to test yet. In the meantime, we wanted to provide you with a beta version so you can test (and hopefully benefit from) some bugfixes we have done, including a fix to the Academy fleets starting the game much more powerful than intended!

• Battle Result Notifications no longer block the turn, while keeping the big stability improvement that originally caused this issue (Note: This fix works for Single Player and Multiplayer hosts only, but not Multiplayer clients, who will still need to dismiss the battle report notification to let the end turn progress)
  • The Academy's aggression & power level now starts at 0 and grows slower, before it started out near or above max due to the galaxy generation process triggering it
  • Isolated systems are no longer blocked from being colonized by the quest Death Without a Corpse
  • Horatio's Main Quest: Chapter 2 (Industrialist) will no longer get stuck if another empire destroys the fleets (It will complete)
  • Relics gained from converting will always be 2, it is no longer scaled by gamespeed which resulted in 1.33 relics on slow
  • Quest "Forged in Battle" Now is 25-55 turns instead of 10-70 by galaxy size
  • System Trade Value no longer scales with Game Speed
  • The mining probe lifetime of multiple Behemoth modules is no longer additive, now taking the highest instead
  • Influence gained from Lumeris pop bonus is now shown in the Empire Influence tooltip
  • Unfallen Terraform Options (Hot types to Forest) now use the forest art (previously all were Savannah)
  • Optics Research Lab's Yield is now shown in the System Science Tooltip
  • All Singularities now affect heroes as intended
  • The Diagnostics should no longer be filled with errors if the Nakalim main menu screen is displayed

You can access this beta version by going to to the Betas tab of the game properties on Steam and choosing the patchpreview branch. If you try the beta, please make sure you have disabled all mods. (If you previously used a mod that adds additional options to the new game settings, make sure to return to settings available in the base game before turning off the mod.)

Our primary contributors for this patch will be CaptainCobbs and Cyrob, so please share your feedback with them if they ask you about your experience. And feel free to share your feedback in this thread as well.

EDIT: Fixed wrong quest name used in the patch notes

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
May 12, 2023, 1:13:34 PM

Ooo... Nice to see. Any chance this will look at fixing resolution options and a few distorted graphics on Apple Silicon Macs?

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
a year ago
May 12, 2023, 9:13:59 PM

Good work to Cobbs and Cyrob. Also Rip to lack of alternative fleet skins for AI in this.

0Send private message
a year ago
May 13, 2023, 10:46:30 AM

Praise Cobbs and Cyrob! They did amazing work with ESG, I'm so glad to see their work getting recognition! Great changes overall! I love the bug fixes the most.

0Send private message
a year ago
May 13, 2023, 12:24:59 PM

This is just what i need. Can't wait to see the final patch.

0Send private message
0Send private message
a year ago
May 15, 2023, 7:45:12 AM
somnolentsurfer wrote:

Ooo... Nice to see. Any chance this will look at fixing resolution options and a few distorted graphics on Apple Silicon Macs?

Unfortunately, I can't make any promises about that. We learned the hard way with Humankind that even with a relatively recent version of Unity proper support for Silicon Macs is difficult, and the Unity version ES2 runs on is pretty ancient at this point. We can try to look into it, but it very well may turn out to require more work than we have time for, given the other necessary fixes.

0Send private message
a year ago
May 15, 2023, 3:25:35 PM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't make any promises about that. We learned the hard way with Humankind that even with a relatively recent version of Unity proper support for Silicon Macs is difficult, and the Unity version ES2 runs on is pretty ancient at this point. We can try to look into it, but it very well may turn out to require more work than we have time for, given the other necessary fixes.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I certainly wasn't thinking of a full native Apple Silicon port. I realise that would be a lot of work for such an old game. But maybe it's possible to fix the Intel build so that at least displays correctly in native resolution using Rosetta. I don't know anything about the technicalities of it, obviously, just that there are plenty of older Mac games that don't have that issue. I gave a full explanation in this thread.

As I played a bit more after that I also discovered that a very few of the graphics on the information screens about events and things are just weirdly corrupted as well. Not as major an issue, but it's so rare that it seems like something that must have one odd cause somewhere.

0Send private message
a year ago
May 16, 2023, 7:39:59 AM
somnolentsurfer wrote:

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I certainly wasn't thinking of a full native Apple Silicon port. I realise that would be a lot of work for such an old game. But maybe it's possible to fix the Intel build so that at least displays correctly in native resolution using Rosetta. I don't know anything about the technicalities of it, obviously, just that there are plenty of older Mac games that don't have that issue. I gave a full explanation in this thread.

As I played a bit more after that I also discovered that a very few of the graphics on the information screens about events and things are just weirdly corrupted as well. Not as major an issue, but it's so rare that it seems like something that must have one odd cause somewhere.

As I say, I'll make sure it's on our list of issues, but we may not find the time for it (as the number of people we have with the know-how to tackle this problem is quite low, as far as I know).

As for the corrupted graphics, that may not be related directly to you playing on a Mac. Unfortunately, due to the large number of assets in the game, we sometimes run into problems where some assets are corrupted when compiling the build, and the only fix is recompiling it. (However, if you are playing on the beta, please bear in mind that it is purely a Windows build with no MacOS compatibility at all, Silicon or otherwise. Due to the time it takes to compile these builds, we will unfortunately not be providing a Mac version until the full release of the patch.)

0Send private message
a year ago
May 16, 2023, 10:47:02 AM

As for the corrupted graphics, that may not be related directly to you playing on a Mac. Unfortunately, due to the large number of assets in the game, we sometimes run into problems where some assets are corrupted when compiling the build, and the only fix is recompiling it. (However, if you are playing on the beta, please bear in mind that it is purely a Windows build with no MacOS compatibility at all, Silicon or otherwise. Due to the time it takes to compile these builds, we will unfortunately not be providing a Mac version until the full release of the patch.)

Ah, OK. Thanks. That wasn't in the beta, it was a couple of weeks ago that I noticed it, before the beta came out. If I have time I'll see if I can replicate it on Windows.

0Send private message
a year ago
May 16, 2023, 12:42:27 PM

The Mac version and the PC version are compiled separately, so it may indeed run fine on Windows. In any case, it should hopefully resolve itself when we make the new Mac build for the release version of this patch.

0Send private message
a year ago
May 25, 2023, 9:33:48 AM

This is awesome, the Nakalim really struggle, I do wish they had some more changes, but thanks for this.

There's also the annoying conscription thing when trying to take a planet, makes sieging take wayy too long.

0Send private message
0Send private message
a year ago
May 26, 2023, 9:25:50 PM
NovaBushido wrote:

This is awesome, the Nakalim really struggle, I do wish they had some more changes, but thanks for this.

There's also the annoying conscription thing when trying to take a planet, makes sieging take wayy too long.

Currently working on their redesign. Can you elaborate on the conscription thing

0Send private message
a year ago
May 27, 2023, 12:32:27 PM

CaptainCobbs, your team's work is greatly appreciated! ES2 is one of my all time favorites, your ESG project helped me to spice up my games after I got bored with vanilla. You are an embodiment of dedication!

0Send private message
a year ago
May 31, 2023, 3:49:20 PM
The mining probe lifetime of multiple Behemoth modules is no longer additive, now taking the highest instead

Will there be some sort of toggle/config to bring back the old, additive behavior? You know, since mining the galaxy is the favorite past time of every chicken samurai. :)

0Send private message
a year ago
May 31, 2023, 3:55:14 PM
KryoVault wrote:
The mining probe lifetime of multiple Behemoth modules is no longer additive, now taking the highest instead

Will there be some sort of toggle/config to bring back the old, additive behavior? You know, since mining the galaxy is the favorite past time of every chicken samurai. :)

Probably not, but Behemoths are one of the big subjects we want to tackle once we're confident Awakening is in a better state.

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message