Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Community Culture Suggestions

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Sep 27, 2020, 3:52:42 PM

Hello, I have done a shared google sheet to store in a easy way and go through culture suggestions, wether its for mods or DLCs

Culture Suggestions

The suggestions are added through a google form, and then visible on the sheet; this allow some data validation (ie. no "Industrial", "INDUSTRIAL", "ERA 5" to be easier to classiify) and prevent the submissions from being deleted (this way no accidental overwriting of other people).

So keep in mind before submitting that you can't delete it !

You will need to specifiy the culture name, era, affinity, EU and EQ. So find them before submitting.

Optionnaly you can add EQ/EU description, legacy trait and culture description/comment if you want. 

You can also leave your username if you want the credits.

Feel free to try if you have ideas or just want to look at some of the suggestions (yes devs, you can take a look too :) )

If you want to make your suggestion a card and add further explanation and discussion on it, I suggest to check this thread: 

Fanmade Culture Cards Fiesta

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Dec 11, 2020, 7:28:36 AM

I know it's just a suggestions form, but can you edit my Malagasy entree, from Expansionist to Agrarian, and their Legacy Trait from "Ocean Voyager" into "Ocean Settler - +2 Food, +2 Industry, +2 Money, +2 Faith on Settlement on Coastal tiles"?

0Send private message
3 years ago
Dec 11, 2020, 10:01:29 AM
Malikultum wrote:

I know it's just a suggestions form, but can you edit my Malagasy entree, from Expansionist to Agrarian, and their Legacy Trait from "Ocean Voyager" into "Ocean Settler - +2 Food, +2 Industry, +2 Money, +2 Faith on Settlement on Coastal tiles"?

Enter it again with the modification, I will delete the former one once its done

Its the less painful way to do it lol

Thanks for your contribution

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 4, 2021, 5:45:08 AM

Is this thread still active? I'm some one who is a little disappointed in the current line up of cultures and have a few ideas of cultures they can add. Also if I suggest a culture do is it ok to not have an affinity, EU and EQ; there is a culture I have mind, but unfortunately I don't think I can come up with affinity of EU for it. I have started a similar thread on the Humankind Steam forums, but I thought that maybe this would be a better or more reliable place for suggestions.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 5, 2021, 1:40:37 PM

Its not active but it can become active

The form i  put in my first post will require some specifications, but if you dont have i guess you can just put a post here with your culture name

Or maybe start a thread in general to make cultures wishlist thread

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 6, 2021, 9:35:12 AM

I just saw this thread and was having a look at the google form and I want to say that it was impressive. Thank you to everyone who took time to make the culture suggestions, even if we may not see most of them implemented I learned a lot and it was a nice read.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 7, 2021, 6:57:52 AM
MasterPaw wrote:

The form i  put in my first post will require some specifications, but if you dont have i guess you can just put a post here with your culture name

Sorry for the late reply, that's great that you are still working on it, there were a lot of great suggestions on the Google doc, and I find the final roster quite lacking. I have a problem though; I have come up with some ideas for cultures, but unfortunately I don't think I have enough information to fill out every thing that's required. For one of my suggestions I have the culture name, era, EQ and ideas for the legacy trait and affinity; but I can't think  of an EU for them. Is it possible to suggest a culture without all the information, and maybe have someone else fill in the rest in a more collaborative effort?

Ok so my suggestion is for the Medes (which are coincidentally already in the game as independents) and I think they should be 1- ancient era and their EQ would be the qanat/kariz which could provides food from mountain tiles or mountain and hill tiles, and I think the affinity should be aesthete and the legacy trait could be +1 unit slot, and/or an early unlock or limited version of the reinforce ability (something to represent Cyraxes's military reforms and their organized military) but I'm not sure. The problem is I've tried looking but I can't find enough information on their military to come up with an EU for them either. The closest thing I can find to an EU is from this description:

"The army was remodeled along the modern lines and was divided into spearmen, bowmen and cavalry. It would seem that it was Cyaxares who also changed the clothing and weapons. ..... The Mede is at once distinguished by the wearing of the more original Iranian costume. On his head is the round, nodding felt cap with neck flap. A tight, long-sleeved leather tunic ends above the knee and is held by a double belt with round buckle; over the tunic might be thrown on ceremonial occasions a cloak of honor. Full leather trousers and laced shoes with projecting tips indicated that their wearers spent much of their time on horseback. A short, pointed beard, a mustache, and hair bunched out on the neck were all elaborately curled, while earrings and necklace gave added ornament. Their chief offensive weapon remained the spear of cornel wood with a flanged bronze point and the base held by a metal ferrule. To this spear  many warriors added the bow, held in an extraordinarily elaborate bow case and serviced by arrow from a quiver. .... With the Median army reorganized, the threat to Assyria became extreme."

-Olmstead, History of the Persian Empire, p. 32

So maybe a horse archer with an anti-cavalry melee attack?

Maybe this quote can help us find an Emblamatic Unit as well:

"But among their conquerors are the Medes, nomads from the steppes, who use to devastating advantage their extra agility on horseback. The Assyrians have an effective cavalry, but they cannot match the nimble archery of the Medes."

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 10, 2021, 7:21:38 PM

I think Samanids and Cherusci (even though they are already in the game as independents) would be a great addition to the google sheet and the game in general, the problem is I can't think of all the specifications for them, so a little help would be appreciated. I think the Samanids would be a good medieval Persian culture, and Cherusci would be a good representative of German civilization for the Classical Era; Herman the German/Arminius came from them after all.

Also I added the Medes to the google doc and just noticed a few grammatical errors that slipped by.

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 18, 2021, 5:27:53 AM
MasterPaw wrote:
Malikultum wrote:

Enter it again with the modification, I will delete the former one once its done

Its the less painful way to do it lol

Thanks for your contribution

I need my entry on the Medes to be deleted or edited as well. I had second thoughts on the Legacy Trait I designed and have come up with new one.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 18, 2021, 11:17:02 PM

Well since this thread and it's Google Doc have been mostly abandoned by it's creator, I might well just post of my culture suggestions here on the thread itself. I suggested the Medes on the Google Doc, but since then had a few new ideas and changed somethings around. Since I can't edit or delete my original post on the Google Doc, and making a second Medes post called "Medes 2" or "Medes 2.0" would just be weird, I'll just post it here.

Medes

Era: 1-Ancient

Affinity: Militarist

Emblematic Unit: Median Cavalry or Median Horse Archers

-Description: The Assyrian war machine is eventually toppled (in 612) as much by accumulated resentment, particularly from Babylon, as by any military weakness. But among their conquerors are the Medes, nomads from the steppes, who use to devastating advantage their extra agility on horseback. The Assyrians have an effective cavalry, but they cannot match the nimble archery of the Medes. 

Horse archers with anti-cavalry, spear based melee attack.(Maybe designed specifically to counter Assyria's Assyrian raiders)

Emblematic Quarter: Qanat

-Description: Throughout the arid regions of Iran, agricultural and permanent settlements are supported by the ancient qanat system of tapping alluvial aquifers at the heads of valleys and conducting the water along underground tunnels by gravity, often over many kilometres. This system of underground aqueducts originally developed in the 1st century BCE by the people of the Iranian Plateau eventually spreading across the Middle-East.

Provides food from adjacent mountain tiles. +20 Stability. (Essentially cross between aqueduct and Harrapan's canal network but mountain based rather than river based.)

Legacy Trait:

Cyraxres Reforms: +1 Unit slot available for each Army; +x combat strength for number of different unit classes in army (essentially combat bonus on army for having more unit variety in your army composition) 

Alternatively: ability to vassalize IPs on conquest or patronage. (can't think of a appropriate name for this one)

Culture Description:

The Medes were among the nomadic Iranian tribes of the Iranian Plateau. They eventually settled in the areas around Mount Damavand, but they were initially divided into semi-nomadic tribes and small "kinglets" at this time. Eventually they were united by their first king  Daiaukku (Deioces),who founded the Median Empire, with it's capital the city of Hangmatana(Ecbatana). Through much of their history they lived under the shadow of the Assyrian Empire, though they did vassalize some other states in the Iranian Plateau, most notably Parsa, the seat of the future Persian Empire. Under the rulership of their king Cyaxares, their military was reorganized, being divided into spearmen, bowman, and cavalry. With their reorganized military, their threat to Assyria became extreme, and the Medes eventually defeated the Assyrians and forged a mighty empire that ruled over much of the Iranian Plateau and northern Mesopotamia.

And yes I used "x" for most numerical value in situations where I didn't feel confident enough to come up with exact value because I don't feel like I know the game well enough to be able to come up with numerical values like that. I'm definitely not a programmer or modder.

Also if anyone is interested my sources were:

Olmstead, A.T. History of the Persian Empire. The University of Chicago, 1948

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qanat

http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistoriesB.asp?gtrack=pthb&ParagraphID=bhr

I also wanted to add that I couldn't really find a good image of Median horsemen or soldiers, aside from the reliefs found in Persepolis, so I thought I would include this description from the book History of the Persian Empire as well

"The Mede is at once distinguished by the wearing of the more original Iranian costume. On his head is the round, nodding felt cap with neck flap. A tight, long-sleeved leather tunic ends above the knee and is held in by a double belt with round buckle; over the tunic might be thrown on ceremonial occasions a cloak of honor. Full leather trousers and laced shoes  with projecting tips indicated that their wearers spent much of their time on horseback. A short, pointed beard, a moustache, and hair bunched out on the neck were all elaborately curled, while earrings and necklace gave added ornament. The chief offensive weapon remained the spear of cornel wood with a flanged bronze point and the base held by a metal ferrule. To this spear many warriors added the bow, held in an extraordinarily elaborate bow case and serviced by arrow from a quiver."

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 19, 2021, 11:24:25 PM
MasterPaw wrote:

So did you move this thread "Game Design and Ideas" forum? Are you back?

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 20, 2021, 12:24:18 AM
The Estonians

Industrial Era

Affinity: Aesthete 

Emblematic District - Choral Concert Hall +1 influence per population, +5 stability

Trait - National Resiliency - +10 stability on commons quarters

Unit - Forest Brother, 50 strength -  a replacement for the partisan that has +5 combat strength in forests and is very cheap to produce and has reduced strength penalties when injured.

The Forest Brothers resisted Soviet occupation in the Baltic States, well into the 1950s. 

The Estonians are a people who survived two totalitarian regimes and emerged from the Soviet Union through a Singing Revolution. Thus, this culture will emphasize stability and influence. From a gameplay perspective, they would be very useful after a picking a more militaristic culture in the medieval or early modern age. Their influence and stability gains can help shore up previous conquests. 

This is a very very early draft, but let me know what you think!
0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 20, 2021, 2:33:39 AM

Revolutionary States, a sort of colonial era America culture with a twist

Early Modern Era

You can only pick this culture if you transcend from the Medieval Era to the Early Modern Era whilst vassalized by another player.

Legacy Trait: Spirit of 1776 - War support never falls except by defeat or retreat. +100 War Support when declaring war on vassalizing player.

Emblematic District - Homestead +10 stability, +5 Food, +2 Food Per Adjacent Farmers District, Treated As Farmers Quarter

Emblematic Unit - Minutemen - A weak musketman replacement with a lower production cost, but receives + X Combat Strength when fighting in friendly territory and can retreat twice in a row, allowing failed uprisings a better chance to regroup

0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 20, 2021, 2:35:35 AM

So far it looks good and the quality seems on par with most of the later suggestions both on the Google Doc, and FANMADE CULTURE CARDS FIESTA. I can't comment on the numerical values and how balanced your culture is though, because I don't know the systems and game well enough to suitably judge that sort of thing. I'm just not the kind of person who min-maxes and goes into the nitty gritty of the numbers.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 20, 2021, 2:37:19 AM
Scotsman wrote:

Early Modern Era

You can only pick this culture if you transcend from the Medieval Era to the Early Modern Era whilst vassalized by another player.

Legacy Trait: Spirit of 1776 - War support never falls except by defeat or retreat. +100 War Support when declaring war on vassalizing player.

Emblematic District - Homestead +10 stability, +5 Food, +2 Food Per Adjacent Farmers District, Treated As Farmers Quarter

Emblematic Unit - Minutemen - A weak musketman replacement with a lower production cost, but receives + X Combat Strength when fighting in friendly territory and can retreat twice in a row, allowing failed uprisings a better chance to regroup

Maybe Expansionist Affinity would be more appropriate. I feel like Militarist is used to categorize cultures who were violent raiders and pillagers, had a generally violent society, were warmongers, or had a reputation of being famed warriors. The latter is the reason I reclassified my Medes to Militarists instead of expansionists, I remembered that during the time of the Achaemenid dynasty, many of the soldiers came from among the Medes, who had that reputation.  

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 20, 2021, 2:41:08 AM
TheVisitorGuest wrote:
Scotsman wrote:

Early Modern Era

Maybe Expansionist Affinity would be more appropriate.

I thought that too, but the Iron Reserves just seems too appropriate for a revolutionary states aesthetic. And the American culture that follows on in the Contemporary Era is Expansionist already.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 20, 2021, 2:45:19 AM
Scotsman wrote:
TheVisitorGuest wrote:
Scotsman wrote:

Early Modern Era

Maybe Expansionist Affinity would be more appropriate. I feel like Militarist is used to categorize cultures who were violent raiders and pillagers, had a generally violent society or had a reputation of being famed warriors. The latter is the reason I reclassified my Medes to Militarists instead of expansionists, I remembered that during the time of the Achaemenid dynasty, many of the soldiers came from among the Medes, who had that reputation. 

I thought that too, but the Iron Reserves just seems too appropriate for a revolutionary states aesthetic. And the American culture that follows on in the Contemporary Era is Expansionist already.

I suppose, I was more thinking about the concept of Manifest Destiny and that sort of thing, though that would work for an Industrial Era Americans as well. Everything else looks pretty solid though, great job.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 20, 2021, 9:08:33 AM
Scotsman wrote:

Early Modern Era

Emblematic District - Homestead +10 stability, +5 Food, +2 Food Per Adjacent Farmers District, Treated As Farmers Quarter

All this design seems to belong to the trope and period covered by the industrial era of the game. Not Early Modern Era (of the game).

0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 20, 2021, 3:54:56 PM
Narcisse wrote:
Scotsman wrote:

Early Modern Era

Emblematic District - Homestead +10 stability, +5 Food, +2 Food Per Adjacent Farmers District, Treated As Farmers Quarter

All this design seems to belong to the trope and period covered by the industrial era of the game. Not Early Modern Era (of the game).

To be fair, there really isn't much of a major difference between the America of the Early Modern Era and the America of the Industrial Era. Though an idea for an Industrial Era American culture could be one that's based more in Theodore Roosevelt's time and America's early steps toward building an empire. Perhaps that could even be the theme of this hypothetical culture; building a fledgling empire. 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message