Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Apr 22, 2021, 9:09:06 AM

Hey all!

The Lucy OpenDev was the first chance for our players to try out the Civics and Ideologies. Using Civics to shape the laws and customs of your people and nudging their ideologies with your choices in narrative events resonated well with many players, though many felt that pushing to the end of an ideology axis was always the best choice, that some ideologies were more valuable than others, or were frustrated by not knowing how to unlock more civics.

While our efforts to improve clarity on how to unlock each Civic are not ready for the Victor OpenDev, we made some changes to the effects of Civics to address the balance:

• Balanced ideology axes now grant a bonus to Stability
  • Changed the effect of several ideologies:
    • Tradition now gives Faith instead of Influence
    • Liberty gives Influence on cities
    • Authority slows down Influence conversion of your territories
    • Homeland gives fixed percent food bonus
    • World gives a percent food bonus scaled with number of alliances

Let us know what you think about Civics and the rebalanced ideology effects!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 6:20:55 AM

Irreligion's effects (regardless of the choice chosen) doesn't seem to be clear enough, i.e. spending a point in that choice will irreversibly lock you out of religion for the rest of the game.

Or more simply, not making a choice should be highlighted as a valid choice.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 4:39:39 PM

Same as with religion, I don't feel like I am doing an important choice here that reflects on my game, a lot of time there is no different in A and B option for me. I think those choices must be far more important and flavorful they should define your strategy.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 5:24:46 PM
ellebae wrote:

Irreligion's effects (regardless of the choice chosen) doesn't seem to be clear enough, i.e. spending a point in that choice will irreversibly lock you out of religion for the rest of the game.

Or more simply, not making a choice should be highlighted as a valid choice.

I agree, I don't know if it was just a glitch for me but only the tooltip for state atheism made it clear that I'd be locked out of religion. Secularism didn't specify so I assumed it would be different.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 23, 2021, 5:34:34 PM

This is more of a UI feedback related to civics, but I could not find a specific UI feedback forum, so I apologize if this is not in the correct place. There are certain events that can skew towards a specific ideology and the UI does a good job of showing the change. However, it would be really helpful to be able to mouse over the codified laws pop-up on the event screen to see the quantifiable changes like you would on the actual civics screen. For example, if an event choice will shift my civic towards progress, it would be great to see in the same screen exactly how much my science and stability will be changing.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 1:04:00 PM
lordVigo wrote:

Same as with religion, I don't feel like I am doing an important choice here that reflects on my game, a lot of time there is no different in A and B option for me. I think those choices must be far more important and flavorful they should define your strategy.

I agree here. There are two things Civics are good for: giving you influence at the start of the game and the Procession ability, which solves every Stability concern you could ever have. Other than that Civics are pretty impactless, after turn 40 I hardly care about them.

Also I have no idea how they are unlocked. Is it random? Does it depend on my built districts? Techs? Why do I unlock industrialized Production 1000 BC?

And is there any point to spread one's influence? It's nice to see the map in my colors, but aside from triggering greivances (which would lead to war) do I have any advantage of it? How does Tourism work? The game does not make those concepts clear to me.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 2:25:50 PM

Civics themselves are A-ok, although some numbers need balancing (early influence civics much too strong, most later civics feel unimpactful). 

In my opinion, the sliders still have too little effect, and are too out of the way for the player to care or feel compelled to interact with them in a meaningful way. As things stand, I would only expect the most dedicated of min-maxers to even bother optimizing using sliders. Maybe others had a different experience.

A way to punch up the effect of sliders could be to tie units, districts, diplomatic actions or some other mechanic to particular slider ranges. For instance, highly individualistic empires might gain free trade routes on a timer to represent the effect of private enterprise, while communal empires could gain a special district representing some collectivized activity. Another approach might be to substantially increase the bonuses granted by extreme slider values, at the cost of a major gameplay limitation (highly worldly empires might gain a large trade / relation bonus, but lost the ability to declare a surprise war, or gain war enthusiasm at a decreased pace)

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 24, 2021, 3:10:10 PM

I like the idea of the middle of ideologies give stability, it make the choices overall more interesting, but I think the ideologies themself is not all that interesting:

• Collectivism vs individualism is just more industry vs more money, I would suggest a change so that collectivism for example give farmers and worker +2 food and +2 industry while individualism give merchant and scientist +2 of their respecitive yield.
  • Homeland vs world do the exact same thing so depending on how many allies you have one is going to be better than the other. I would suggest homeland give you more militia and combat strength on home territories, including those under your cultural sphere while world could keep its current effect.
  • Liberalism +4 influence is great early game but become less and less noticeable overtime I would suggest it to become something like +2 influence per commons quarter.
  • Authoritarian seems useless I would suggest going back to the bonuses it had to the capital.
  • Tradition become useless if you pick secularism if I'm not wrong.
  • Progress is okay, but the bonus is pretty boring
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 12:15:19 AM

I agree with the comments above, Civics feel too much like a sticker choice. It doesn't really change or impact the gameplay in a very meaningful way. The choices come down simply to "would you like a little bit more of A or B?" when I feel like civics should really have a drastic choice on how you play the game. Add some penalties to the choices and some new options available due to civic choices. In general I feel like the game design is afraid to put its foot down when it comes to decision making, give them some weight otherwise they aren't powerful choices. 

Occasionally some Civics do give a bit of choice to the player, for example the Slavery civid that gives you population from ransacking. That one affects the player's decision making, it teases them into wanting to ransack because they picked that civic. On the opposite side, the civic Land Ownership is an example of a pretty dull civic it gives you either +1 food to commons quarters or +4 food on hamlet. Perhaps not a useless civic but, it certainly isn't very fun. Im sure that there's some implications on either choice; I imagine its a decision between Tall vs Wide empire but it's not particularly interesting. 
As an example to illustrate my point (without considering any balancing or viability) Id prefer to see something like:
Land Ownwership:
A: - +1 Stability and + 5 money per citizen. ( Population becomes more valuable, makes the player prioritize and value population and less likely to sacrifice it. Keeps that tall empireflavour.)
B: - Can construct hamlets. (More gameplay options on territory, keeps that wide-empire flavour.) 

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Id love to have more weighty decision making choices in the game in general and I think the Civics tree can really have potential to make that happen. 

What do you think?

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 12:26:22 PM

As mentioned above this irreligion civic really needs some work. I did once the mistake to go for this atheism choice which meant my religion which was super strong went out of the window in my country. It was kind of fun to see other empires lambasting me for not following my own previous religion anymore, but in the end I collected 11 civic points pretty quickly (by way how that irreligion choice works), yet could not find enough other civics to invest them in. So both religion and civics in that play through became pretty unimportant.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 1:34:57 PM

Civics seems pretty random and confusing. Most of the time I'm not sure what I will be getting, and I ended up not always using my civic points.

Also I have absolutely no idea what I need to do to unlock certain civics.

The civics also seem to vary wildly as to how powerful they are, so if I have some "meh" civics available, it feels like it's better to just save the points in case I end up unlocking something really powerful.

It would make more sense to have a bunch of Deed type things that you need to do to advance a civic category and have the more powerful civics to require you to pick the lower powered ones from the same category.

The different benefits from the four sliders that give different bonuses also seem to be hard to understand. Most of the time it seems it would be nice to just try to keep it in the middle so I maximise stability across the empire. It's also a bit difficult to grasp or even notice both those effects and the direct effects from the civic itself at the same time.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 1:44:38 PM

It's still a bit obtuse how some civics are unlocked, that could definitely be worked on. The civics themselves are largely fine, although as others said getting influence early on is very powerful since it facilitates a lot of expansion.

I do think the sliders are in a decent place because they're all attached to stability, and stability is certainly a larger issue to tackle in this opendev compared to Lucy, although it's still rather easy to break and not have to deal with. The stability balancing act with the sliders I find engaging however I understand what other people say when they think it's a bit boring. It certainly wouldn't hurt if each section had more thought provoking bonuses, such as applying to pops or districts rather than the current majority of percentage bonuses.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 2:00:42 PM

It would be very useful if when selecting civics, the tooltips would show what the instant effects to your per turn generation would be to your Empire.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 3:29:18 PM
I also feel like the civics system is ... well not the best part of the game. It's that random popup you get once in a while where it tells you about a new civic, you click it and then you realize that you don't even have a civic point available, so there was no reason for this distraction whatsoever.
While I also agree that the balancing of some of those is off and some others (irreligion) are simply evil traps that should not be in the game, I think a really really huge issue with civics is the UI. It's really hard to judge a mechanic fairly, when you are annoyed by its UI.
First of, when you are in the civic screen, and want to decide which civic to enact, it is insanely annoying that you have to close the detailled view of the current civic before being able to select another one. Not to mention that the placement of this "X" is terrible. First rule of UI design: make it intuitive: Where does one expect a "close" button? On the top right, not in the center!
Then, as others already pointed out, it is entirely unclear how you unlock them. I've played 4 games now and still feel like its random. In a strategy game, having main game concepts feeling like a random distraction is very bad. Therefore, you should display the unlock conditions for each civic in a tooltip. Also, the player must be able to peak at the civic while it is unlocked. That way, players would be able to plan which ones they want to unlock and act accordingly.
As already mentioned, currently the game gives you a bunch of popups whenever you unlock a civic, regardless of if you even have civic points available. That means that these popups are an annoying distraction 75% of the time. Instead give a notification whenever a civic point has been earned. I'd still find it helpful to keep the "you've unlocked civic X" notification, but it needs to be changed: When you don't have civic points available, the option should just be "acknowledged" and not take you to the civics screen, as you cannot do anything there anyways.
To make the axes effect more prominent, please list the general effect of the axis on the sides, or at least put in the tooltip of the respective ideology icon. You could also display the stability effect on the top, eliminating the need to hover over everything. The same goes for all events that modify your ideologies, I didn't even knew that they do so before I read about it in some other post here.
Finally some effects (like propaganda: prevents empire revolution) lack a description what this effect actually does. In the example, it's obvious if you know what an "empire revolution" is, but if you don't well, then it's not helpful.

Now to the boni of the different ideologies: Here I also agree with some other observations already made. Homeland and Globalism giving a similar bonus but in a different form is weird and makes it hard to judge. I like the idea of somekind of homeland defense plus maybe the additional turns against influence conversion (and give something else to Authority).

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 4:00:46 PM
kaskarn wrote:

Civics themselves are A-ok, although some numbers need balancing (early influence civics much too strong, most later civics feel unimpactful). 

In my opinion, the sliders still have too little effect, and are too out of the way for the player to care or feel compelled to interact with them in a meaningful way. As things stand, I would only expect the most dedicated of min-maxers to even bother optimizing using sliders. Maybe others had a different experience.

A way to punch up the effect of sliders could be to tie units, districts, diplomatic actions or some other mechanic to particular slider ranges. For instance, highly individualistic empires might gain free trade routes on a timer to represent the effect of private enterprise, while communal empires could gain a special district representing some collectivized activity. Another approach might be to substantially increase the bonuses granted by extreme slider values, at the cost of a major gameplay limitation (highly worldly empires might gain a large trade / relation bonus, but lost the ability to declare a surprise war, or gain war enthusiasm at a decreased pace)

I think the sliders should have event effects if that makes sense? like too much nationalism and you get issues with your people beginning to attack people from other nations or whatever.
You get the idea.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 4:21:15 PM

3 playthroughs of Victor, I think I always took the same Civics to increase stability.

I feel I get civic points too quickly. Maybe that aspect of the game could be more meaningful if civic points were rarer ?

I feel the system symbolises a increasing cohesion of a growing empire, so instead of a per citizen growth, it would require some kind of "cohesion" milestones : number of cities connected ? (I know roads appear automatically, maybe make this a task?), organizing some kind of "people's assembly" to get the civic points ?

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 5:45:20 PM

I had some thoughts on how to improve (or perhaps expand) civics.

Concerns:

1. Sliders do not really noticeably impact much.
  2. Some decisions have side effects that may make certain choices far more desirable (if you want to be a liberty oriented society, an authority option might just give you a way better bonus).
  3. An overabundance of civic points (they tend to pile up very quickly without new decisions).
  4. An overabundance on influence in the mid-late game (especially if you accidentally pick the civic that lets you buy land with gold).
My proposal:
Imagine if you will, the system from civ 6; where players are given a set of /cards/ and a number of different types of card slots; based on the player's type of governance. I can imagine a similar system could be enacted here. But what do I mean? Basically the system would have the following effects:
  1. The sliders control the slots; what types of cards you can place in your governance. Go heavy into liberty and get lots of /liberty/ style card slots; etc.
  2. Sliders can perhaps be affected by the player's stockpiles of influence to nudge them in certain directions in the absence of events or decisions; or perhaps in other ways.
  3. Decisions rather than simply just pushing the sliders, unlock cards instead of having side effects. 
  4. Spare civic points can be spent simply buying cards; maybe generic cards; maybe cards based on the slider orientations.
  5. Maybe the sliders are jus primarily controlled by influence; and civic points are what unlock cards (though obviously decisions can still do both)

Obviously this is a rough draft of an idea; there is likely a fair bit of balancing to do here; and solve the issue of rapidly changing governance modifying slots (Perhaps this causes stability maluses without actually removing the cards immediately once their slots expire). But I feel like it would make the process of interacting with civics (and influence) a fair bit more interesting if we had something along these lines.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 9:01:46 PM
Tnecniw wrote:
kaskarn wrote:

I think the sliders should have event effects if that makes sense? like too much nationalism and you get issues with your people beginning to attack people from other nations or whatever.
You get the idea.

Right, there needs to be some connection between slider values and life in the empire beyond minor resource bonuses. Ethos-specific event chains would go a long way!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 26, 2021, 12:08:05 PM

I'm expecting alot of these civics to be tied to events later on. But maybe that has not been implemented yet.

I just want to give the example of Old World, which has a huge number of events and keeps you interested (for the most part). Depending on what you do, you will get different events.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 8:04:53 PM

Ok, so here we are with plenty of new Victor feedback. I'd like to first say that HK is surely shaping up to be a fantastic game, and this OpenDev already shown a great deal of improvement over the Lucy build. I'll focus this report on the issues I found, but this by no way means HK isn't a good or fun game, just that I'm pointing to what can be made better before release. I'll also try to not discuss bugs like the various graphical glitches or the fact that many Early Modern Emblematic Quarters could be built in multiples per territory since by now I assume you're well aware of those. I'll try (key word here is try) to present suggestions to each issue, but of course, my knowledge of civics, technologies and cultures is limited by the scope of the opendevs revealed so far. So, without further ado, lets dive in:

- Civics

- Issue: The Religious Rites' Procession ability (+5 stab per pop in a city for 10 turns for a measily amount of gold) makes stability management a no-brainer, as it can skyrocket your stability for very little cost and allow cities much stronger than intended. Solution: Change the Procession ability to "Give the Celebrating status to the city for 10 turns". It'll still work in the same general idea (boost stability temporarily for a little gold sum) yet will be much more feasible.

This is a post in a series of connected posts about the Victor Opendev. You can find the posts discussing other topics below:

Economy: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39499-feedback-economy-and-game-pace?page=3#post-315472

Naval & Air: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39509-feedback-naval-gameplay?page=1#post-315474

Religion: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39525-feedback-religion?page=2#post-315475

Diplomacy: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39502-feedback-diplomacy?page=2#post-315476

Combat & Land Armies: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39501-feedback-combat?page=2#post-315477

Cultures: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39500-feedback-cultures?page=2#post-315479

Independent Peoples: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39526-feedback-independent-people?page=1#post-315481

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message